Site Admin

Re: Post-Brexit News and Discussions

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

So exciting!

Can't wait for my sovereignty and freedumb.

Anyone else getting excited about this, and which food are you most looking forward to having less of?

---------

Think Brexit food shortages are bad now? Wait until October

10 August 2021 03:08

Over the past few weeks, food shortages have been a growing concern in the UK, fuelled by the ongoing effects of Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic.

The government has been urged to deploy the army to replace over 100,000 lorry drivers, primarily from Eastern Europe, who have been unable or unwilling to work in the UK due to post-Brexit rules and the UK’s Covid travel restrictions. In addition to a shortage of truck drivers, confusion over customs declarations and delays in transporting goods have contributed the exacerbating the problem.

In some areas, certain supermarket shelves have been left completely bare, while others have expressed disbelief, claiming they’re yet to notice the shortages and ultimately labelling the concerns over food shortages a hoax.

But with new Brexit checks set to come into effect from 1st October, the food shortages look set to worsen. From that date, animal and plant products imported into the UK from the EU will require extra paperwork and border checks. The government hopes these checks will be “smooth and efficient”, but based on how Brexit has been handled since the referendum in June 2016, those reassurances aren’t particularly comforting.

Moreover, the food industry says higher prices will be a practical guarantee as European producers pass on the cost of this red tape to British consumers. Just-in-time supply lines are also expected to be disrupted by the new arrangements, which will almost certainly bring about more food shortages.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/lifes ... er-285428/
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:44 pm So exciting!

Can't wait for my sovereignty and freedumb.

Anyone else getting excited about this, and which food are you most looking forward to having less of?

---------

Think Brexit food shortages are bad now? Wait until October

10 August 2021 03:08

Over the past few weeks, food shortages have been a growing concern in the UK, fuelled by the ongoing effects of Brexit and the Covid-19 pandemic.

The government has been urged to deploy the army to replace over 100,000 lorry drivers, primarily from Eastern Europe, who have been unable or unwilling to work in the UK due to post-Brexit rules and the UK’s Covid travel restrictions. In addition to a shortage of truck drivers, confusion over customs declarations and delays in transporting goods have contributed the exacerbating the problem.

In some areas, certain supermarket shelves have been left completely bare, while others have expressed disbelief, claiming they’re yet to notice the shortages and ultimately labelling the concerns over food shortages a hoax.

But with new Brexit checks set to come into effect from 1st October, the food shortages look set to worsen. From that date, animal and plant products imported into the UK from the EU will require extra paperwork and border checks. The government hopes these checks will be “smooth and efficient”, but based on how Brexit has been handled since the referendum in June 2016, those reassurances aren’t particularly comforting.

Moreover, the food industry says higher prices will be a practical guarantee as European producers pass on the cost of this red tape to British consumers. Just-in-time supply lines are also expected to be disrupted by the new arrangements, which will almost certainly bring about more food shortages.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/lifes ... er-285428/
I'm not excited one bit. i go to Aldi so i will be interested to see what foods will be missing from our usual shopping list.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
raklian

Post by raklian »

I'm curious to know. What food items would make you think it's the end of the world if they are no longer on the shelves?
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

raklian wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:35 pm I'm curious to know. What food items would make you think it's the end of the world if they are no longer on the shelves?
Bread?
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 pm
I'm not excited one bit.
Maybe I should tag my posts with "/s" (sarcasm). ;)

raklian wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:35 pm I'm curious to know. What food items would make you think it's the end of the world if they are no longer on the shelves?
Well I'm addicted to delicious, fruity, creamy yoghurts – once they're gone, the world is over as far as I'm concerned.

Serious answer? – bread, milk, eggs, meat. The basic stuff. Oh, and if alcohol is in short supply, a lot of people will be very angry, especially those in already deprived areas. Will be interesting to see what happens post-October.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Here is a image of Irish trade routes from the Republic of Ireland to Europe.

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

UK to scrap web cookie requests in post-Brexit data revamp
Thursday 26 August 2021

The UK will scrap “pointless” web cookie requests as part of a major package of reforms that will replace the EU’s data laws with a new post-Brexit regime.

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden today unveiled a string of new measures designed to harness the power of data to drive growth and create jobs.
Scottish Pupils Return To School After Lockdown
Also Read:
Data watchdog targets social media with new Children’s Code

The move will see large parts of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) scrapped in a bid to cut down on red tape and deliver a so-called Brexit dividend.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Dowden said he planned to get rid of “pointless bureaucracy” such as cookie requests while also upholding privacy.

“There’s an opportunity for us to set world-leading, gold standard data regulation which protects privacy, but does so in as light touch a way as possible,” he said.
https://www.cityam.com/uk-to-scrap-web- ... ta-revamp/

In otherwords, they will target GDPR.

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »