2023-2024 Presidential, senate, house, state and city election thread

weatheriscool

Re: 2024 Presidential election

Post by weatheriscool »

Pa. Democrats win 3 Allegheny County special elections -- and control of the state House
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Democrats declared victory in three special elections for the state House on Tuesday, putting the party on the brink of controlling the lower chamber of the legislature for the first time since 2010.

While votes were still being counted late Tuesday night, initial returns showed all three Democrats enjoying commanding leads that would be almost impossible for Republicans to overcome — in one case by more than 85 percentage points.

“Our caucus has never been more unified. We have never had an agenda that we have been in control of," said state Rep. Joanna McClinton, the Philadelphia Democrat who could soon become House Speaker, referring to the GOP’s long control of the chamber.

"We look forward to the privilege of leading and serving in every corner of this commonwealth,” Ms. McClinton told supporters at a union hall in Wilkins.

Read more: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/polit ... 2302070094
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Tim Scott Prepares for Presidential Run
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) “is taking steps to run for president, adding to the stable of Republicans looking to wrest the party mantle from former President Donald Trump,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“Mr. Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, is testing a message with GOP voters in key early states focused on unity and optimism as some Republicans say it is time to move on from the Trump era. Mr. Trump has announced a bid for president in the 2024 election.”
https://politicalwire.com/2023/02/13/ti ... ntial-run/
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Dianne Feinstein announces she won't run for reelection in 2024
Source: CNN Politics
CNN — Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein announced on Tuesday that she will not run for reelection in 2024, a major moment for a historic political career as the fight to succeed her is already under way.

“I am announcing today I will not run for reelection in 2024 but intend to accomplish as much for California as I can through the end of next year when my term ends,” Feinstein said in a statement.

Feinstein, 89, has been a fixture of California politics for decades and was first elected to the US Senate in 1992. Feinstein broke a series of glass ceilings throughout her life, and left her fingerprints on some of Capitol Hill’s most consequential works in recent history – including the since-lapsed federal assault weapons ban in 1994 and the 2014 CIA torture report.

In her statement, Feinstein said, “Even with a divided Congress, we can still pass bills that will improve lives. Each of us was sent here to solve problems. That’s what I’ve done for the last 30 years, and that’s what I plan to do for the next two years. My thanks to the people of California for allowing me to serve them.”
Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/politics ... ot-running
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Haley announces 2024 Republican presidential bid in first challenge to Trump

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley said on Tuesday that she will seek the Republican presidential nomination in 2024, putting her at odds with one-time boss Donald Trump, the ex-president also seeking to win back the White House.

"I'm Nikki Haley and I'm running for president," Haley said in a video that her team sent out by email.

Haley, a former South Carolina governor who served as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under Trump, will lay out her campaign plans in a speech in Charleston, South Carolina, on Wednesday. She became Trump's first direct challenger in a Republican field expected to grow in coming weeks and months. Her announcement was a sign the Republican nomination race is picking up steam.

Other high-profile Republicans looking at a 2024 run include Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, former Vice President Mike Pence, U.S. Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu and former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, among others.
Read more: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/haley- ... 023-02-14/
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

It looks like Governor DeSantis is continuing to throw red meat at the hard right to prove he is the “most conservative” candidate in the field.

“Slander”: College Board Blasts DeSantis Attacks on African American Course
by Ali Breland
February 12, 2023

Introduction:
(Mother Jones) Late on Saturday evening, the College Board responded to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ wave of attacks on education in Florida accusing the state’s Department of Education of criticizing the Advanced Placement African American studies course, and its use in the state of Florida, as a vehicle for the governor’s far-right politics.

The College Board said that it welcomes discourse around its curriculums but said that discussions about AP African American studies had “moved from healthy debate to misinformation.” The letter followed a previous one that the organization sent on Tuesday which was more tepid and less confrontational.

“We deeply regret not immediately denouncing the Florida Department of Education’s slander, magnified by the DeSantis administration’s subsequent comments, that African American Studies ‘lacks educational value,’” the College Board said in their new letter published on Saturday night.
DeSantis has criticized the new AP course in his continued tirades against social causes championing marginalized and historically victimized groups like LGBTQ people and racial minorities. He has called the program “woke” and said that it wouldn’t be accepted without revisions.

In their letter, College Board clarified that “[w]e had no negotiations about the content of this course with Florida or any other state, nor did we receive any requests, suggestions, or feedback,” despite Florida officials claiming credit for changes to the course.
Read more here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2 ... -slander/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Right-wingers freak out after longtime Trump MAGA ally defects to support Nikki Haley
by Areeba Shah
February 15, 2023

Introduction:
(Salon) Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., who encouraged former President Donald Trump to declare martial law in order to remain in power, endorsed former United Nations ambassador and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley for president on Wednesday.

"We are at a pivotal point in our nation," Norman said in a tweet. "While the Republican candidates, values, and messages have done very well here in South Carolina, that hasn't been the case everywhere across our great nation."

He added that it's "time for a reset and a new chapter in national Republican politics" and there's no better person to take on that responsibility than Haley.

Norman is the first South Carolina lawmaker to publicly back Haley's bid for presidency. They both served in the South Carolina State House starting in 2005, and Norman was the first public official to endorse her 2010 run for governor.

He has also been a supporter of Trump and voted against certifying the 2020 Electoral College results from Pennsylvania on Jan. 6, 2021.
Read more here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politic ... f1754604
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

AZ Senate: Gallego Leads in All Head-To-Head Matchups
Ruben Gallego is leading all his potential competitors (a good sign for Gallego) but in no matchup does he exceed the 50% mark (a good sign for the GOP and Kyrsten Sinema).

This far ahead of the 2024 U.S. Senate elections, a temperature check on Arizona’s electorate is useful in determining the best-case scenario for each potential candidate before the race truly begins to take shape. As of now, Ruben Gallego’s best bet would be the GOP nominating a Trump-style Republican and Kyrsten Sinema opting out of the race. However, if Republicans nominate a more moderate candidate, Republicans will be in a better position for a more competitive race with Sinema on the ticket. If Sinema is not in the race, there is a difference between a more moderate Republican such as Ducey or Taylor Robson and a more Trump-style candidate like Masters or Lake when matching up against Gallego.

Sinema stands a better chance if Gallego does not run. However, assuming that is not likely, her best bet is that Ducey opts out of the race. Regardless, as the Arizona electorate stands now, it’s going to be an uphill climb for Sinema.

The best-case scenario for Trump-style Republicans is having Sinema on the ticket. For Ducey-style Republicans, their best bet is Sinema not running.
https://blog.ohpredictive.com/press-rel ... =136755346
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Barbara Lee launches Senate campaign to replace Feinstein
Source: KRON TV
OAKLAND, Calif. (KRON) — Tuesday, U.S. Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) announced her bid for Senate to fill the seat of retiring Senator Dianne Feinstein.

“To do nothing has never been an option for me. When my high school said cheerleaders couldn’t be Black, I took them on. I worked with the NAACP, and earned my spot as the school’s first black cheerleader,” Lee said in a video released Tuesday morning. “When there weren’t protections for survivors of domestic violence, I wrote California’s first Violence Against Women Act. When it was legal to discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community, I wrote the Hate Crimes Reduction Act…I don’t quit. I don’t give up. That’s not in my DNA…When you stand on the side of justice, you don’t quit if they don’t give you a seat at the table. You bring a folding chair for everyone, and they are here to stay.”

Lee, 76, has served as California’s 12th Congressional District representative for the past 13 years and is an ally of Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) She attended Mills College in Oakland and UC Berkeley.

“I’m running for US Senate because Californians deserve a strong, progressive leader who has accomplished real things and delivered real change,” Lee said. “Californians have my word that, whether it’s the climate crisis, solutions to homelessness, lifting people out of poverty, easing the burden on the middle class, protecting our Democracy, standing up for reproductive freedom, or ensuring our civil and human rights, I will never back down from fighting for what’s right.”
Read more: https://www.kron4.com/news/your-local-e ... feinstein/
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

McClellan wins special election for Virginia's 4th District
Source: AP
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Democrat Jennifer McClellan defeated her Republican opponent in a special election Tuesday to win a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, where she will be the first Black woman to represent Virginia in Congress.

McClellan, a veteran state legislator from Richmond, prevailed over pastor and Navy veteran Leon Benjamin in the race for the blue-leaning 4th District, which has its population center in the capital city and stretches south to the North Carolina border. The seat was open after the death of Democratic Rep. Donald McEachin in November. McEachin died weeks after being elected to a fourth term after a long fight with the secondary efforts of colorectal cancer.

A 50-year-old corporate attorney, McClellan has represented parts of the Richmond area in the General Assembly since 2006, when she joined the House of Delegates. In December, she handily secured the Democratic nomination for the 4th District race in a four-way firehouse primary. A native of central Virginia, McClellan said in an interview ahead of the election that the history she will make as the first Black woman to represent the state in Congress carries extra weight because of her family’s history in the Jim Crow South.

Her father’s grandfather had to take a literacy test and find three white people to vouch for him just to be able to register to vote, she said. Her dad and his father paid poll taxes and her mother, now 90, didn’t vote until after the Voting Rights Act of 1965. “It’s a huge honor, and responsibility, to ensure that I’m not the last,” she said.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... e1e5b5f72f
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Liberal candidate Janet Protasiewicz advances in Wisconsin Supreme Court race
Source: MSN
Milwaukee County Judge Janet Protasiewicz, a liberal candidate, is projected to advance to the April 4 general election in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race after she became the top vote-getter on Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

Protasiewicz was one of two liberal candidates vying for a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, which was left open after conservative Justice Patience Roggensack announced she would not be seeking another term. Protasiewicz will be going head to head against a conservative candidate — wither Jennifer Dorow or Daniel Kelly — for the open seat in April.

The state Supreme Court race has drawn national attention given that Roggensack’s retirement leaves an even 3-3 partisan split on the court, meaning that whoever wins the open seat will tilt its ideological makeup. Among some of the issues that the new state Supreme Court could weigh in on could include abortion rights, redistricting and even possible future election result disputes.
Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 1512005552