2023-2024 Presidential, senate, house, state and city election thread

caltrek

Re: 2024 Presidential election

Post by caltrek »

Liz Cheney: "I haven't made a decision" About 2024 Presidential Run
by Ivana Siric
July 3, 2022

Introduction:
(Axios) Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) acknowledged the possibility of a presidential run in 2024 in an interview with ABC News on Sunday, but said she hasn't "made a decision about that yet."

Why it matters: If she chooses to run, Cheney would join a 2024 Republican field rapidly shaping up, dominated by former President Donald Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former Vice President Mike Pence.

• This isn't the first time Cheney has left the door open to a possible 2024 presidential run.
What they're saying: "I'll make a decision about ’24 down the road," Cheney said.

• "I think about it less in terms of a decision about running for office, and more in terms of, you know, as an American – and as somebody who's in a position of public trust now, how do I make sure that I'm doing everything I can to do the right thing; to do what I know is right for the country, and, and to protect our Constitution," she added.
Read more here: https://www.axios.com/2022/07/03/liz-c ... ntial-run
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I think everyone should run and I'd like to see a few run against Biden in the democratic primary.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Although a previous article I posted discusses a possible Cheney candidacy, I think there is enough additional information in the article below to warrant citation.

Liz Cheney Hints She Might Run Against Donald Trump in 2024
by Isabela Dias
July 3, 2022

Introduction:
(Mother Jones) As the hearings of the January 6 committee get closer and closer to implicating Donald Trump criminally in the violent attack on the US Capitol, the former president is reportedly considering announcing a 2024 presidential bid earlier than he might have. Sources close to Trump told CBS News he has privately shared his intentions to announce his comeback as early as this summer, instead of waiting until after the November midterms. And if he does indeed throw in his hat in the ring for the Republican nomination, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) says she might run against him.

British newspaper The Telegraph reported that the former president could formally announce his run in Florida this month, partially in an attempt to overshadow Gov. Ron DeSantis, a likely 2024 rival. Trump recently used his Truth Social account to share a poll showing him leading in a putative GOP primary, even though other polls have suggested DeSantis might do better with voters.

Trump’s urge to jump in early appears to have been further fueled by his anger toward the January 6 committee hearings. “So the lowlifes Rigged and Stole a Presidential Election, and I’m the one who is on trial,” he wrote on Truth Social. “We are truly a Nation in Decline!” Trump has also lashed out against Cassidy Hutchinson, a former senior aide to White House chief of staff Mark Meadows whose damning testimony highlighted Trump’s desire to join the violent mob that besieged the Capitol, and his alleged assault on a Secret Service agent who told Trump he couldn’t join the insurrectionists.

Conclusion:
Cheney said she hasn’t made any decision just yet, but if she does run, it will be about more than her personal political ambitions: “I think about it less in terms of a decision about running for office, and more in terms of, you know, as an American—and as somebody who’s in a position of public trust now, how do I make sure that I’m doing everything I can to do the right thing; to do what I know is right for the country, and, and to protect our Constitution.”
Read more here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2 ... ump-2024/

caltrek’s comment: In a head-to-head between Trump and Cheney, I think Cheney would get demolished. A three-way race involving DeSantis would be less predictable, as it seems to me that DeSantis would hurt mostly Trump. Of course, my ability to understand the Republican mentality is admittedly rather limited. It is simply too difficult to fathom how such irrational minds will work.

A Cheney candidacy would probably hurt Trump’s chances to win in the general election. At least independents and relatively moderate Republicans might be persuaded by Cheney that Trump is a bridge too far. They could then either stay home in the general election, vote for a third party (such as the Libertarians), or even vote for the Democratic nominee.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

PollTracker
@PollTrackerUSA
·
8h
2024 National General Election Poll:

Joe Biden 44% (+3)
Donald Trump 41%

@SienaResearch
/@nytimes
~ 849 RV ~ 7/5-7/7
https://int.nyt.com/data/documentt
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

64% of Democratic Voters Don't Want Biden to Be the Party's 2024 Nominee: Poll
by Jake Johnson
July 11, 2022

Introduction:
(Common Dreams) A New York Times/Siena College poll released Monday indicates that President Joe Biden's support among his own party's base is eroding, with 64% of Democratic voters saying they would prefer a different candidate in 2024.

Asked whether they "think the Democratic Party should renominate Joe Biden as the party's candidate for president in 2024" or pick a different candidate, nearly two-thirds of Democratic respondents opted for the latter while just 26% said the incumbent should be renominated.

A striking 94% of Democratic voters between the ages of 18 and 29—a group that has demanded bold climate action and student debt relief—said they want a different nominee, according to the new poll.

In a follow-up question, respondents were asked to select the most important reason they would prefer a different, unspecified nominee over Biden. A third of respondents answered that the president's job performance is the primary factor, another 33% cited Biden's age, and 10% said their preference stems from Biden not being "progressive enough."

The survey was conducted between July 5 and July 7 and included 849 registered voters. The poll's margin of error is 4.1 percentage points.
Read more here: https://www.commondreams.org/news/202 ... nee-poll
and here: https://www.alternet.org/2022/07/joe-bi ... me-change/

caltrek’s comment: You can count me in as belonging in that 64%. Of course, I am also in that portion of the electorate that would vote for Biden over Donald Trump (or DeSantis if asked).
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Voters See a Bad Economy, Even if They're Doing OK
Source: New York Times

The fastest inflation in four decades has Americans feeling dour about the economy, even as their own finances have, so far, held up relatively well.

Just 10 percent of registered voters say the U.S. economy is “good” or “excellent,” according to a New York Times/Siena College poll — a remarkable degree of pessimism at a time when wages are rising and the unemployment rate is near a 50-year low. But the rapidly rising cost of food, gas and other essentials is wiping out pay increases and eroding living standards.

Americans’ grim outlook is bad news for President Biden and congressional Democrats heading into this fall’s midterm elections, given that 78 percent of voters say inflation will be “extremely important” when they head to the polls.

It could be bad news for the economy as well. One long-running index of consumer sentiment hit a record low in June, and other surveys likewise show Americans becoming increasingly nervous about both their own finances and the broader economy.
Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/busi ... lling.html
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

New Election Projection Shows DeSantis Beating Trump for 2024 GOP Presidential Nomination
by Meaghan Ellis
July 13, 2022

Introduction:
(Alternet) Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) could beat former President Donald Trump and become the Republican Party's presidential nominee in 2024, according to the results of a new poll.

Per Newsweek, the latest survey, which was conducted by Blueprint Polling, suggests 50.9 percent of the Republican voters who participated in the poll would support the Republican governor while only 38.6 percent would back Trump. Blueprint Polling compiled its survey based on responses from 656 voters who offered their opinions between July 7-10. The poll's margin of error is projected to be approximately +/- 3.82 percent.

The news outlet also offered a breakdown of voters who are standing firm on their decision. Among those voters, "DeSantis' lead extends to nearly 14 points (47.6 percent to 33.2 percent) in a scenario in which the pair ended up as the final two choices in the GOP primary."

The poll summary also noted, "Older Republicans are more likely to support Trump, but DeSantis still leads the former president in all age groupings."
Read more here: https://www.alternet.org/2022/07/new-e ... voters/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

caltrek wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:14 pm New Election Projection Shows DeSantis Beating Trump for 2024 GOP Presidential Nomination
by Meaghan Ellis
July 13, 2022

Introduction:
(Alternet) Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) could beat former President Donald Trump and become the Republican Party's presidential nominee in 2024, according to the results of a new poll.

Per Newsweek, the latest survey, which was conducted by Blueprint Polling, suggests 50.9 percent of the Republican voters who participated in the poll would support the Republican governor while only 38.6 percent would back Trump. Blueprint Polling compiled its survey based on responses from 656 voters who offered their opinions between July 7-10. The poll's margin of error is projected to be approximately +/- 3.82 percent.

The news outlet also offered a breakdown of voters who are standing firm on their decision. Among those voters, "DeSantis' lead extends to nearly 14 points (47.6 percent to 33.2 percent) in a scenario in which the pair ended up as the final two choices in the GOP primary."

The poll summary also noted, "Older Republicans are more likely to support Trump, but DeSantis still leads the former president in all age groupings."
Read more here: https://www.alternet.org/2022/07/new-e ... voters/
PollTracker
@PollTrackerUSA
·
Jul 17
2024 Florida Republican Primary Poll:

Ron DeSantis 51% (+18)
Donald Trump 33%

@VictoryPolling
~ 600 LV ~ 7/13-7/14
https://victory-insights.com/files/PollRepo

PollTracker
@PollTrackerUSA
·
17h
2024 Florida Republican Primary Poll, With leaners:

Ron DeSantis 61% (+22)
Donald Trump 39%

@VictoryPolling
~ 600 LV ~ 7/13-7/14

I hope it is Desantist. ;)
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I hope it is Desantist. ;)
They are both fascists (or at least proto fascists) so I really don't have much of what I would call a preference between the two. I suppose I fear DeSantis more as being less known by voters. They might tend to give him an (undeserved) benefit of a doubt in the general election.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Biden approval on economy hits new low: poll
President Biden’s economic approval ratings have hit a record low for his presidency — and surpassed the lowest ratings of the previous two presidents, new polling shows.

A CNBC All-America Economic survey put Biden’s economic approval rating at 30 percent, 5 points below a previous survey in April.

That number is also 11 points below the low for former President Trump and 7 points below the lowest for former President Obama. The survey has been distributed for 15 years, but the latest results include “the worst economic outlook measures CNBC has recorded,” the report concludes.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -low-poll/