2023-2024 Presidential, senate, house, state and city election thread

weatheriscool

Re: 2024 Presidential election

Post by weatheriscool »

Stabenow's retirement scrambles Michigan Senate race in 2024

Source: AP

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a member of the Democratic leadership, announced Thursday that she will not run for a fifth term in 2024, a surprise decision that opens up a seat in the key battleground state. The news shocked many Democrats in the state because the 72-year-old Stabenow had not previously indicated that she would not seek reelection.

Stabenow’s impending retirement turns Michigan’s next Senate race into one of the most competitive in the country as Democrats try to preserve their slim majority. “Inspired by a new generation of leaders, I have decided to pass the torch in the U.S. Senate. I am announcing today that I will not seek reelection and will leave the U.S. Senate at the end of my term on January 3, 2025,” Stabenow said in a statement.

Democrats will face a test to find a candidate with Stabenow’s broad support. On the GOP side, the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which works to elect Republicans, said in a statement after Stabenow’s announcement that it would “aggressively target this seat in 2024.”

While the current political climate in Michigan favors Democrats following a midterm election where they flipped the state House and Senate, the state is still expected to be one of the nation’s premier battlegrounds in the 2024 presidential election. Only one Michigan Republican, has held a seat in the Senate in the past 40 years.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... b701ae1297
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

John Bolton Announces 2024's Most Ridiculous Presidential Bid
Source: New York Magazine

Earlier today, John Bolton officially entered the 2024 U.S. presidential race with an announcement to the British media. Bolton, who was George W. Bush’s ambassador to the United Nations during the Iraq War and Donald Trump’s national security adviser until he was fired via Twitter, insisted in his Good Morning Britain interview that this is not a joke or a shameless attempt to sell more books and boost his speaker fees. “I wouldn’t run as a vanity candidate,” he said. “If I didn’t think I could run seriously, then I wouldn’t get in the race.”

The two-and-a-half minute GMB clip captures the oddness of his run:
* Bolton is making this announcement on a television show that doesn’t air in the U.S. (Just consider that for a moment.)
* He says he’d run “primarily on the basis that we need a much stronger foreign policy.” That feels a little on the nose, as being a warmonger is the only thing Bolton is known for: He has admitted to planning foreign coups on national TV, and he was fired as national security adviser because he kept trying to start wars after promising Trump that he wouldn’t.
* Bolton suggested that he could beat Trump in 2024, because “Trump’s support within the party itself is in terminal decline.” But Bolton skips over the fact that he has essentially zero support in the GOP. Beating Trump sounds fine — it’s getting people to vote for Bolton that’s the issue. As GMB interviewer Noel Phillips noted, “His opponents say he lacks in popularity, but a defiant John Bolton is preparing for a fight.”
* Bolton seems set on alienating British people too. He spent part of the interview defending former U.K. prime minister Liz Truss, who was ousted after 44 days, and her wildly unpopular economic policies.

Read more: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/01 ... l-run.html
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

As Newsom Kicks Off Second Term, Speculation About White House Run Grows
by Natalie Hanson
January 6, 2023

Introduction:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Courthouse News) — As California Governor Gavin Newsom officially began his second term Friday surrounded by his family, political experts predicted he may look to the national stage for his political future.

Newsom's swearing-in took place at the state Capitol and opened with first partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom.

“As the most populous and culturally diverse state in the nation, we’ve seen our shared belief in the power of empathy, care and inclusivity bringing us together as one California family,” she said. She read the poem “Together We Go California” in Spanish, by Juan Felipe Herrera, former poet laureate of the United States.

In his speech, Newsom reminisced about how much the state has changed since his Irish family arrived 170 years ago, with the population growing from 93,000 then to nearly 40 million residents today.

“I hear the echoes in the stories of migrants that cross our southern border seeking something better,” he said. “In people who come from every continent on Earth to flee political persecution. Or from other states to educate themselves in our world-class universities.”
Read more here: https://www.courthousenews.com/as-news ... un-grows/

caltrek’s comment: In a general election, Newsom would have to overcome fierce prejudices against a left coast California and against “fanatical” multi-pluralism. As if the good old days of racially (and gender, etc.) based hierarchies can be brought back and the LGBT+ types forced back into their closets.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Senate Dems tap Peters again as campaign chief in hopes of 2022 repeat
Source: Politico

Michigan Sen. Gary Peters will once again lead his caucus’ campaign arm, according to two people familiar with the matter and confirmed by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

The second-term senator successfully defended Democrats’ majority last cycle under difficult circumstances, with the party even picking up one more seat in the chamber. Still, Peters had initially turned down entreaties to do the job again.

He’s the first Democrat since Chuck Schumer, now the majority leader, to run the DSCC two cycles in a row. The Michigander will also have two vice chairs assisting him: Sens. Tina Smith of Minnesota and Alex Padilla of California.

Peters’ personal record includes winning close House races and a tight Senate election in 2020. Then, in the 2022 midterms, he helped Democrats buck historical trends as DSCC chair — leading the party to pick up a seat despite a Democratic president in office. Schumer called Peters a “battle tested, proven winner whose hard work led Senate Democrats to defy the political odds and to one of our best midterm results in recent history.”

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/0 ... t-00077011
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Porter Announces 2024 Run for Feinstein Seat in Senate
by Niels Lesniewski and Kate Ackley
January 10, 2023

Introduction:
(Roll Call) California Democratic Rep. Katie Porter is jumping into the state’s 2024 Senate race, not waiting for Sen. Dianne Feinstein to decide whether to retire.

“The threat from so-called leaders like Mitch McConnell has too often made the United States Senate the place where rights get revoked, special interests get rewarded and our democracy gets rigged,” Porter said in a video message announcing her candidacy. “California needs a warrior in Washington.”

Porter, who won her third term in November by just 4 percentage points, gained national attention during the two years she served during the Trump administration with sharp questions during hearings of the Financial Services Committee, frequently skewering not only administration officials but also banking industry executives.

She then moved to the Oversight and Reform Committee, which is being renamed the Oversight and Accountability panel with the Republican majority in the new Congress.

If Feinstein, who turns 90 later this year, does in fact announce plans to retire, there will a hot contest among Democrats to replace her in a seldom-open, safely Democratic seat. Feinstein is the longest-serving Democrat in the Senate and passed on the opportunity to be the chamber’s president pro tempore.
Read more here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politic ... msnnews11
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

PineappleDuckCurry

Post by PineappleDuckCurry »

caltrek wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm caltrek’s comment: In a general election, Newsom would have to overcome fierce prejudices against a left coast California and against “fanatical” multi-pluralism. As if the good old days of racially (and gender, etc.) based hierarchies can be brought back and the LGBT+ types forced back into their closets.
I agree with this, and I think it applies to Kamala Harris as well. I am from California btw. What do you think of Bernie Sanders running again (perhaps in 2028 after Biden in 2024)? I would really hope so, but I feel he has lost a lot of people from his peak in 2016.
Nicknano

Post by Nicknano »

PineappleDuckCurry wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:17 am
caltrek wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm caltrek’s comment: In a general election, Newsom would have to overcome fierce prejudices against a left coast California and against “fanatical” multi-pluralism. As if the good old days of racially (and gender, etc.) based hierarchies can be brought back and the LGBT+ types forced back into their closets.
I agree with this, and I think it applies to Kamala Harris as well. I am from California btw. What do you think of Bernie Sanders running again (perhaps in 2028 after Biden in 2024)? I would really hope so, but I feel he has lost a lot of people from his peak in 2016.
You didn't ask me but when I a see Bernie's name in a post, I jump in!
Years ago I used to be a hardcore right wing supporter, I voted for Trump and anyone repeating his nonsense. Then I met a Bernie supporter who absolutely destroyed my view on medicare for all. I was taken a bit back since I was in an echo chamber for so many years. After that, I started looking into him and man, that man is a saint. All those years fighting by himself and never backed down. If he runs again, I will campaign for him again, door knock again, only this time I will bringing out all the stops, cookouts, more community engagements.
However, the only thing holding Bernie back is Bernie. If that man went on the attack with ads and in his debates a lot of his competition would back off. Im also glad to see Katie Porter running for Senate next year.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Re: Trump's chances in 2024:

Trump Organization Fined $1.6 Million in Criminal Tax Fraud Case
by Russ Choma
January 13, 2023

Introduction:
(Mother Jones) A New York judge has imposed a $1.6 million fine—the maximum allowed by law—on two of Donald Trump’s companies for their role in a criminal tax fraud scheme. Last month, a jury convicted both companies following a trial that featured testimony from Trump’s longtime chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg. Weisselberg admitted that he and other executives had taken lower salaries in exchange for off-the-books benefits like free apartments, Mercedes cars, and private school tuition. While the total fine is a small fraction of the Trump Organization’s annual revenues, it represents a significant legal setback.

Following Friday’s sentencing, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg—who inherited the case from his predecessor, Cy Vance Jr.—hinted that despite his past reluctance to prosecute Trump personally, he may be gearing up for additional charges in the future.

“The sentencing today closes this important chapter of our ongoing investigation into the former president and his businesses,” Bragg told reporters. “We now move on to the next chapter.”

Bragg left without further explanation of what he is planning.
Read more here: [urlhttps://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/01/tr ... raud-case/] [/url]
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »