Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva 47.25%

Jair Bolsonaro 44.2%

SOURCE
weatheriscool

Re: Brazil Watch Thread

Post by weatheriscool »

Bloomberg
@business
BREAKING: Brazil’s presidential election Heads to an Oct. 30 runoff between Jair Bolsonaro and Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva https://trib.al/hF27OnW
7:53 PM · Oct 2, 2022
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

I am happy with the results, the cultural/economical split is growing with every election. The runoff difference will probably be even bigger.
And, as always, bye bye.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

R8Z wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:27 am
I am happy with the results
What do you admire about Bolsonaro?
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

wjfox wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am
Nothing really... We are in the same state of affairs as the US was in the previous election, everyone is voting to avoid getting the "bad guy" elected. My actual party candidate reached a miserable 0,47% in the election (and I didn't even vote for him as well).

I am just sad really, Latam countries every couple of years elects a leftist which will disregard basic economic principles and lead the economy to the dumpster. The problem isn't really being leftist, it's being protectionist, isolationist and have no regards for a stable budget. Our geography already doesn't do us any favors, but these guys get elected and first thing they do is to establish more tariffs on imports ("to save the internal industry") and taxes on exports ("flourishing the internal market"). The results is at least a decade lost, as can be seen in several countries down here.

Although there's plenty of countries that I could escape to if I wanted rational economic governance, I don't want to immigrate again and the truth is that my state within Brazil is not that bad as the country itself, hence the reason I am happy with a result that leads to more division between the states.

To understand why is that, here's a very brief a maybe a bit wrong explanation on how Brazil collects taxes on a federal level:

- States collect taxes and send them to the capital;
- The budget is fixed and split between states;
- Some states collect more than they earn in return;

Look at the following map, it correlates quite well with the election results, doesn't it? In red are the states that collect more taxes than they receive back to invest in their own region. Colonial feelings one may even say :lol:

It's not that Bolsonaro could be better, it's just that he steals less than the other guy (or at least pretends to).

And, as always, bye bye.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

R8Z wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm
wjfox wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am
Nothing really... We are in the same state of affairs as the US was in the previous election, everyone is voting to avoid getting the "bad guy" elected. My actual party candidate reached a miserable 0,47% in the election (and I didn't even vote for him as well).

I am just sad really, Latam countries every couple of years elects a leftist which will disregard basic economic principles and lead the economy to the dumpster. The problem isn't really being leftist, it's being protectionist, isolationist and have no regards for a stable budget. Our geography already doesn't do us any favors, but these guys get elected and first thing they do is to establish more tariffs on imports ("to save the internal industry") and taxes on exports ("flourishing the internal market"). The results is at least a decade lost, as can be seen in several countries down here.

Although there's plenty of countries that I could escape to if I wanted rational economic governance, I don't want to immigrate again and the truth is that my state within Brazil is not that bad as the country itself, hence the reason I am happy with a result that leads to more division between the states.

To understand why is that, here's a very brief a maybe a bit wrong explanation on how Brazil collects taxes on a federal level:

- States collect taxes and send them to the capital;
- The budget is fixed and split between states;
- Some states collect more than they earn in return;

Look at the following map, it correlates quite well with the election results, doesn't it? In red are the states that collect more taxes than they receive back to invest in their own region. Colonial feelings one may even say :lol:

It's not that Bolsonaro could be better, it's just that he steals less than the other guy (or at least pretends to).

If i lived in Brazil or even any other country, i'd vote for the lesser of two evils.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Third Place Candidate Endorses Lula in Brazil
Source: Political Wire
“Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has received two major endorsements as his campaign prepares for a runoff election against far-right incumbent Jair Bolsonaro on October 30,” Deutsche Welle reports.

“Simone Tebet, the center-right candidate who came in third place during the first round with 4% of the vote, called on the 5 million people who voted for her to back Lula in the second round.”

“On the same day, former President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, who is still respected in business circles, announced he too would cast his vote for Lula.”

Read more: https://politicalwire.com/2022/10/06/th ... in-brazil/
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

For reference, here are the official government plans released by both candidates for the runoff.

Bolsonaro: https://archive.org/download/plano-de-g ... sonaro.pdf
Lula: https://archive.org/download/plano-de-g ... 20Lula.pdf

No comments from my side. :roll:
And, as always, bye bye.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Brazil’s da Silva, Bolsonaro Clash in 1st One-on-One Debate
by Mauricio Savarese
October 17, 2022

Introduction:
SÃO PAULO (AP via Latino Rebels) — Brazil’s former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and incumbent Jair Bolsonaro clashed in their first one-on-one debate Sunday, two weeks before the presidential election’s runoff.

Debates in the election’s first round featured several other candidates, none of whom garnered more than five percent of the October 2 vote, and were largely distractions from the two obvious frontrunners.

On Sunday, the two repeatedly called each other liars during an encounter lasting about an hour and a half. The term was used more than a dozen times by each of the candidates in the TV Band debate that, otherwise, was less aggressive than many analysts had expected.

“You are a liar. You lie every day,” da Silva said during one exchange. Bolsonaro frequently said: “You can’t come here to tell people these lies.”

Earlier this month, da Silva, who is universally known as Lula, won the election’s first round with 48 percent of the vote compared to Bolsonaro’s 43 percent. Polls indicate the leftist former president, who governed between 2003 and 2010, remains the frontrunner, though his lead has shrunk considerably.
Read more here: https://www.latinorebels.com/2022/10/1 ... rodebate/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Brazil election goes to the wire after ill-tempered final TV debate
Source: The Guardian

The two political heavyweights vying to become Brazil’s next president have locked horns during the final television debate before a momentous election with profound implications for the Amazon rainforest, the global climate emergency and the future of one of the world’s largest democracies.

The former leftist president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and the far-right incumbent Jair Bolsonaro faced off in Rio at the studios of Brazil’s biggest broadcaster, with eve of election polls giving Lula a slender but not unassailable lead.

During the tetchy encounter, Lula accused Bolsonaro of catastrophically mishandling a Covid outbreak that has killed nearly 700,000 Brazilians, arming organised crime by loosening gun laws, and trashing the Amazon and Brazil’s international reputation. “Brazil is more isolated than Cuba …. We have become a pariah,” the 77-year-old leftist said, castigating Bolsonaro’s “insane behaviour”.

Bolsonaro, who was visibly nervous and lost his footing on stage several times, repeatedly called Lula a liar and highlighted the corruption scandals that tarnished the 14 years in which the ex-president’s Workers’ party (PT) governed from 2003 to 2016. “Lula, you’re a crook,” Bolsonaro fumed. “Your government was a champion in corruption.”

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -bolsonaro