The Elon Musk Thread

caltrek

Re: The Elon Musk Thread

Post by caltrek »

Tesla Stock Has Cost Musk $200 Billion. Here’s Who, and What, to Blame.
by Allen Root
November 22, 2022

Introduction:
(Barron’s) The drop in Tesla TSLA +7.82% stock has cost investors and CEO Elon Musk a huge amount of money. As the end of the year approaches, investors—and maybe even Musk—should consider how it happened.

On Monday, Tesla (ticker: TSLA) stock closed at $167.87, down 6.8%, at the lowest close since Nov. 20, 2020, when shares closed at $163.20, according to Dow Jones Market Data. Shares are off 58% from their 52-week high of $402.67, set back in January.

Stephen King: Twitter’s Only Advertiser Will Soon Be MyPillow. Here’s Elon Musk’s Response.
By Nicole Lyn Pesce
November 23, 2022
“Pretty soon the only advertiser left on Twitter will be MyPillow.”

That was master of horror and bestselling fiction writer Stephen King riffing on the parade of advertisers including GM, United Airlines, and Audi pausing or scrapping their marketing on the social-media platform since Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk took over.

Source: https://www.barrons.com/articles/steph ... 669220182
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
erowind

Post by erowind »

I can't believe how incredibly far this man has fallen in recent years. Now he's attacking the concept of longevity too... https://www.lifespan.io/news/we-can-thi ... elon-musk/

Lifespan's news feed has a good rebuttable going. It's absurd it's even needed.

If I were biologically immortal it would completely change my actions and course in life as almost any problem I have would eventually be solved with self-growth and by having patience and acting with care and empathy towards other people. (I already try to do this, but over 1,000 years I'd really perfect myself here.) All the while technological growth would eventually solve any of my more substantive problems outside my control. This applies to anyone here too who isn't a fatalist like Musk is apparently.
Last edited by erowind on Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Elon Says He’ll Make His Own Phone If Apple and Google Deplatform Twitter
Yesterday 9:20PM

Twitter’s new ruler Elon Musk makes so many pronouncements on the platform, it’s hard to keep track. This week alone, Musk polled Twitter users over whether he should provide “general amnesty” to suspended accounts and got into a public fight over whether the disgraced founder of FTX, Sam Bankman-Fried, owns a part of Twitter. On Friday, Musk was at it again, telling people that he may make an alternative phone to face off against Apple and Google.

The tech billionaire’s comments were made, naturally, in response to a tweet directed at him by conservative podcaster and former OANN host Liz Wheeler. On Friday afternoon, Wheeler tweeted that Musk should make his own phone if Apple and Google decide to kick Twitter off their app stores. Twitter’s future in Apple and Google’s app stores has been a hot topic lately, given Musk’s commitment to “free speech”—as long as it doesn’t offend him—and lax content moderation.
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-alternati ... 1849822836
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Lol his own phone hunh?

Good luck with that Elon.
peekpok

Post by peekpok »

Elon's always had one or two crazy ideas but these days he is straight up delusional. First it was some announcement about making "the everything app," now he's claiming to have designs on entering the mobile phone market? I think his prior successes have gone to his head. Producing consumer electronics is one of the most difficult, competitive and EXPENSIVE businesses in the entire world. It's leagues beyond the challenges that Tesla has had to contend with over the years.

And to top it off he wants to challenge the company with the strongest brand loyalty in the world, Apple. Does he really think the average iPhone user is going to have even a tiny bit of difficulty choosing between Twitter and their beloved iPhone? They've still got tiktok, insta and facebook.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Elon Musk could lose world’s richest person title as Tesla value almost halves

Fri 9 Dec 2022 15.15 GMT

Tesla has lost nearly half its market value since its founder, Elon Musk, bid for Twitter in April, reducing his net worth by about $70bn and putting his title as world’s richest person at risk.

Shares in the electric car company traded at $340.79 on 13 April, the day before Twitter revealed in a securities filing that the billionaire had made a hostile bid to buy the social media company for $43.4bn. Since then the Tesla share price has plunged 49% to $173.44 (£141.29), also due to concerns around disruptions at one of its factories in Shanghai.

The Tesla boss has sold $20bn of Tesla shares since April to fund the buyout. He now owns 445m shares, according to Reuters, and the share price decline has reduced the value of that holding from $151bn to $77bn.

This means his claim to be the planet’s wealthiest person is under threat, with France’s Bernard Arnault, chief executive of the luxury group LVMH, snapping at his heels. On Wednesday, share movements meant Arnault briefly took top spot.

Musk has said of his Twitter takeover: “Having a public platform that is massively trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilisation.”

However, Tesla shareholders worry about how he is dividing his time between the social media site and his many other ventures such as the rocket company SpaceX, and that running Twitter is too much of a distraction.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... es-twitter
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Elon Musk said he's 'open' to buying publishing platform Substack after a Twitter user said it would give him control of the 'narrative layer' of the internet
Elon Musk said he's "open to the idea" of buying publishing platform Substack, on Friday morning.
He agreed with a user saying that Substack would give him "control" over the "narrative layer" of the internet. 
Musk has also speculated about possibly buying Wikipedia this week, but was told the site was not for sale.

Elon Musk said he's "open to the idea" of buying publishing platform Substack after a Twitter user said doing so would give him control over the "narrative layer" of the internet. 

Musk was responding to a thread started by conservative commentator Dave Rubin who alleged that YouTube and Google's "manipulation for political purposes is FAR worse than Twitter's."

Musk replied to Rubin's tweet with a thinking face emoji.

One user then continued the thread and suggested Musk should try and buy Substack, the subscription newsletter platform now used by many prominent journalists.

The user said: "You would have the information layer with Twitter and the narrative layer. Corporate media would then have specialize on reporting government leaks, from 'people familiar with the matter.'"

Musk responded by saying: "I'm open to the idea."
Article: https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ck-2022-12
ººº

Post by ººº »

spryfusion wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:02 pm Elon Musk said he's 'open' to buying publishing platform Substack after a Twitter user said it would give him control of the 'narrative layer' of the internet
Elon Musk said he's "open to the idea" of buying publishing platform Substack, on Friday morning.
He agreed with a user saying that Substack would give him "control" over the "narrative layer" of the internet. 
Musk has also speculated about possibly buying Wikipedia this week, but was told the site was not for sale.

Elon Musk said he's "open to the idea" of buying publishing platform Substack after a Twitter user said doing so would give him control over the "narrative layer" of the internet. 

Musk was responding to a thread started by conservative commentator Dave Rubin who alleged that YouTube and Google's "manipulation for political purposes is FAR worse than Twitter's."

Musk replied to Rubin's tweet with a thinking face emoji.

One user then continued the thread and suggested Musk should try and buy Substack, the subscription newsletter platform now used by many prominent journalists.

The user said: "You would have the information layer with Twitter and the narrative layer. Corporate media would then have specialize on reporting government leaks, from 'people familiar with the matter.'"

Musk responded by saying: "I'm open to the idea."
Article: https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ck-2022-12
First time I heard about it.