Site Admin

Re: The Elon Musk Thread

Post by wjfox »

Doubtless he'll unban Trump.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Doubtless he'll unban Trump.
By this, maybe Musk indirectly takes down American democracy.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Musk just decided to run (whoops, meant buy) himself as POTUS. The people in this country certainly are that stupid and would just love to have their own Putin style oligarch.

Of course, Musk buying Twitter is perfectly okay, as regulating anything is supposedly some form of oppressive tyranny. :roll: The same idiots applauding this always change their tune when it's something somehow against them. Trustbusting existed for this very reason.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:39 pm Doubtless he'll unban Trump.
I forgot he criticized Trump on the Climate after he joined this two advisory boards and resigned in 2017. So we'll see.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

He might use it for another purpose. Who knows.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I love Elon Musk. I believe that networks like twitter should be as free as the street corner. I believe ideas and speech should be free to spread or be defeated based on ideas.

This nation and societies like it thrive when ideas are allowed to be debated. This is a historic fact. If you don't like a concept then disprove it with facts and evidence.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Do we trust Musk? I trust no one, but that's just me. I'm wondering if Musk would enjoy being a president dictator. Maybe. I do think he's is serious about going to Mars, or else it's just been an act from the start. So he's not going for any president election.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

weatheriscool wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:38 pm I love Elon Musk. I believe that networks like twitter should be as free as the street corner. I believe ideas and speech should be free to spread or be defeated based on ideas.
Yet you also have stated multiple times how you disdain the wealthy stepping on the little man...

This is what I don't understand about this country. You oppose monopolies, yet also support them wholeheartedly when you believe they are defending "freedom." The freedom for you to say what you wish, but never to affect Musk's wealth/influence in any way whatsoever.
raklian

Post by raklian »

weatheriscool wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:38 pm I love Elon Musk. I believe that networks like twitter should be as free as the street corner. I believe ideas and speech should be free to spread or be defeated based on ideas.

This nation and societies like it thrive when ideas are allowed to be debated. This is a historic fact. If you don't like a concept then disprove it with facts and evidence.
But what do we do with hate speech or state-sponsored misinformation? I can't imagine the US government allowing any social platform to let either run on a rampage without a mechanism to limit it. Hate speech is not a protected right, after all.

But you might argue hate speech could be "defeated" by virtue of being drowned out by others who are opposed to it, but that will not work if a majority of users of that platform is already exercising it. There needs to be a outside regulator.

This is why I think Elon's ideas for a social platform will not pan out in the long run unless he plans on decentralizing it as a blockchain-based Web3 application powered by decentralized renewable energy somewhere in the Sahara desert. But still, I'm really skeptical anything is really out of the US government's reach when it gets really serious. It wasn't too long ago the US government managed to get a Swiss bank spill secrets about its clients.

And besides, if Elon does try doing something about hate speech due to the backlash he'll get from politicians and civil right organizations, the platform gets closer to be similar to Twitter, so what's the point then?
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Elon Musk: A future worth getting excited about

18th April 2022

Elon Musk talks to Chris Anderson, head and curator of the TED media organisation, about the challenges facing humanity in the coming decades – and why we should be more optimistic.

Read more: https://www.futuretimeline.net/intervie ... meline.htm