Computers & the Internet News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Computers & the Internet News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

The republican party is just evil and cruel. Everything it fucking does sucks ass! :twisted:
Tadasuke

Internet speeds and AI in daily life

Post by Tadasuke »

Fortunately, I don't live in the USA and I pay a very small amount of money (monthly) for 200 megabits/second downlink and 50 megabits/second uplink. I don't need any more than that right now. It just wouldn't bring me any perceptible improvement.

What I need right now is much smarter, useful and convenient AI for many purposes and that would probably require some AI-specific chips in my computers, I guess. And good practical AIs incorporated inside websites and search engines. Literally every computer I own is unfortunately super-dumb. 1000 gigaflops CPU is as dumb as 30 gigaflops CPU and 13 000 gigaflops GPU is as dumb as 256 gigaflops GPU. 64 GB of RAM is a dumb as 4 GB of RAM. There is no improvement there. Just higher numbers for higher numbers sake...
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

2010 : mouse + keyboard (both with LED lighting) + touchpad + capacitive touchscreen smartphone/tablet + E-Ink e-book reader

2023 : mouse + keyboard (both with LED lighting) + touchpad + capacitive touchscreen smartphone/tablet + E-Ink e-book reader

Doesn't it feel too similar after 13 years? The largest difference seems to be that there is just more of everything everywhere (if you look at how many petabytes does the WWW consist of).
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

CES 2024: Solid-State Cooling Company Announces AirJet Mini Slim

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/ces ... -mini-slim
There's been a lot of buzz about Frore Systems' AirJet solid-state cooling devices. The ultra-thin coolers can remove heat from a compact system without moving parts, theoretically improving performance without adding unwanted noise. Previously, the company had announced two products: the AirJet Mini and the larger AirJet Pro. This year at CES, it unveiled its second-generation AirJet, the Mini Slim, an improved version of its Mini cooler.
Tadasuke

using computers then and now

Post by Tadasuke »

Between 2010 and 2020 I kinda was a data hoarder and I regret it.

Why? Because I very mistakenly and very assuredly thought that:
⊳ storage would be significantly cheaper, faster and permanent by 2020
⊳ everything would just work much, much smoother and easier
⊳ personal AI would hugely help with managing, sorting and finding everything
⊳ there would be brain implants and AR glasses or contact lenses, making using computers much more convenient

Since 2020, I reduced much of all the data everywhere and organized it better.

Now I feel extremely tired, my head, back and hands hurt and I am totally fed up with using current paradigm computers to be honest. I feel bad even looking at a computer, let alone turning them on or using them... I feel like vomiting when on a computer. And also I hate touchscreens. Since early childhood I had an obsession about keeping everything clean and tidy, especially computer screens. So I hate touching screens, it causes me much discomfort and disgust. My positive associations from the past are gone. Computers for me nowadays mean fatigue, sadness and pain. They used to make me happy. Now they only make me miserable. That's why I use them less nowadays.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

New candidate for universal memory is fast, low-power, stable and long-lasting
https://techxplore.com/news/2024-01-can ... power.html
by Laura Castañón, Stanford University

We are tasking our computers with processing ever-increasing amounts of data to speed up drug discovery, improve weather and climate predictions, train artificial intelligence, and much more. To keep up with this demand, we need faster, more energy-efficient computer memory than ever before.

Researchers at Stanford have demonstrated that a new material may make phase-change memory—which relies on switching between high and low resistance states to create the ones and zeroes of computer data—an improved option for future AI and data-centric systems. Their scalable technology, as detailed in Nature Communications, is fast, low-power, stable, long-lasting, and can be fabricated at temperatures compatible with commercial manufacturing.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

A quote from my 2010 private notes regarding personal computing in the year 2020:
By 2020 computers (AR glasses + PCs + servers/cloud) ought to be able to almost instantly deliver well-suited and well-timed data in some human-friendly form (text, visual, audio or other), that would be most appropriate at the moment, every time. An article, a paper, a song, a melody, a talk, a lecture, a painting, a photo, a 3D render, a product, an auction, an info-graphic, a diagram, an equation, an excerpt or a video.
2020 no, 2024 still no. Perhaps 2030? We'll see. Certainly isn't impossible. Would be great. For now, I'm being cautious while using the web. I removed all social media from my phone and logged out of them on PC.

Certainly, AI performance is still rising and networks are still getting faster. However, I don't need 6G to deliver me what I don't want, just 6500x faster than 4G, it won't help and won't make my work, my day or my mood any better. I guess 6G could help with high-resolution wide FoV augmented reality, but for now AR is just a concept. Even though my first experiments with AR go as far back as 2009-2011. At least there is this Copilot thingy right now.