Supercomputing News and Discussions

Tadasuke

Re: Supercomputing News and Discussions

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Tadasuke wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:17 am
I think that wjfox took data for $1000 PCs that was measured in megaflops and pasted in onto supercomputer fp64 flops data.
Oh, I didn't create the graph. It's hot-linked from Wikipedia.
Then Wikipedia is plainly wrong.

Just as journalists who compare a supercomputer full of graphics cards to a laptop, and of course they compare total supercomputer performance to a low-end 2 core laptop CPU performance. Mid-range desktop PC with RTX 3060 has 12.74 teraflops, mid-range laptop has at least half that (and you should add CPU performance). PCs are not that slow anymore.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

It's here!!!

Age of Exascale: Wickedly Fast Frontier Supercomputer Ushers in the Next Era of Computing
Today, Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s Frontier supercomputer was crowned fastest on the planet in the semiannual Top500 list. Frontier more than doubled the speed of the last titleholder, Japan’s Fugaku supercomputer, and is the first to officially clock speeds over a quintillion calculations a second—a milestone computing has pursued for 14 years.

That’s a big number. So before we go on, it’s worth putting into more human terms.

Imagine giving all 7.9 billion people on the planet a pencil and a list of simple arithmetic or multiplication problems. Now, ask everyone to solve one problem per second for four and half years. By marshaling the math skills of the Earth’s population for a half-decade, you’ve now solved over a quintillion problems.

Frontier can do the same work in a second, and keep it up indefinitely. A thousand years’ worth of arithmetic by everyone on Earth would take Frontier just a little under four minutes.

This blistering performance kicks off a new era known as exascale computing.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 pm It's here!!!

Age of Exascale: Wickedly Fast Frontier Supercomputer Ushers in the Next Era of Computing
Today, Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s Frontier supercomputer was crowned fastest on the planet in the semiannual Top500 list. Frontier more than doubled the speed of the last titleholder, Japan’s Fugaku supercomputer, and is the first to officially clock speeds over a quintillion calculations a second—a milestone computing has pursued for 14 years.

That’s a big number. So before we go on, it’s worth putting into more human terms.

Imagine giving all 7.9 billion people on the planet a pencil and a list of simple arithmetic or multiplication problems. Now, ask everyone to solve one problem per second for four and half years. By marshaling the math skills of the Earth’s population for a half-decade, you’ve now solved over a quintillion problems.

Frontier can do the same work in a second, and keep it up indefinitely. A thousand years’ worth of arithmetic by everyone on Earth would take Frontier just a little under four minutes.

This blistering performance kicks off a new era known as exascale computing.
I'm equally impressed by the fact it's the 2nd most efficient supercomputer in terms of energy usage. :o
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Nero

Post by Nero »

Take everything that Frontier can do and then double it https://www.hpcwire.com/2022/05/10/auro ... ervations/

Aurora will be available and online in a few more weeks and be able to achieve more than twice the Frontier performance.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Nero wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:58 pm Take everything that Frontier can do and then double it https://www.hpcwire.com/2022/05/10/auro ... ervations/

Aurora will be available and online in a few more weeks and be able to achieve more than twice the Frontier performance.
United States is on a roll when it comes to supercomputers these days. :)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Current #1 Frontier is located at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) in Tennessee and will be operated by Department of Energy. It achieved 1102 fp64 petaflops in Linpack using AMD EPYC 7003 CPUs, Instinct 250X GPUs and Slingshot-11 interconnect. Previous #1 is now #2 - Fugaku (A64FX 48C) located at RIKEN Center for Computational Sciences in Kobe, Japan with benchmark score of 442 fp64 petaflops, which is 190% more than #3 which is LUMI (EPYC Trento 7003 + Instinct MI250X) in Kajaani, Finland with 151.9 fp64 petaflops. #4 is Summit (POWER9 22C + Volta GV100) also in Oak Ridge National Laboratory at 148.8 fp64 petaflops.

AMD Trento CPUs run at 2 GHz and have 8 core complexes each 8 cores, connected by Infinity Fabric 3.0. There are 9472 nodes with 9472 of CPUs and 37888 "Aldebaran" MI250X GPUs. The nodes are linked to each other by a 200 GB/s Slingshot Ethernet interconnect. MI250X accelerators run at 1.62 GHz and have 2 chiplets each 7040 cores with memory bandwith of 3277 GB/s, 128 GB HBM2e and 45.57 fp64 teraflops.

Peak Linpack performance is 1686 petaflops and more sustained performance is 1102 petaflops. AI performance is higher at 6.88 exaflops. Power efficiency is 55.23 gigaflops per watt and power draw is around 20 megawatts. For comparison, Fugaku achieves 40.90 gigaflops per watt.

Frontier is now supposed to deliver 50-fold speedup in real-world workloads, applications, compared to the 2012 Titan ORNL supercomputer. With time, the speedup might be higher.

I hope this supercomputer will help bring about commercial fusion power.
Last edited by Tadasuke on Tue May 31, 2022 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Tadasuke wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Frontier is now supposed to deliver 50-fold speedup in real-world workloads, applications, compared to the 2012 Titan ORNL supercomputer. With time, the speedup might be higher.
I think with Aurora, which comes later this year, the speedup will be 1000-fold.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

As you can see, #1 is rising exponentially, while #500 is stalling, flattening a bit. This is caused by stagnation in performance or memory per dollar. Number 500 will soon be 1/1000 of number 1. The fastest are important, but I think that combined performance is more important. I hope that #500 will resume exponential growth of the past, that this is just a very temporary situation.

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Another interesting problem addressed by supercomputers is global climate change. I am not sure that the overall computational speed is the constraint in the sense that something less than #1 or #2 might very well be able to do the job. I cited the article below in the Climate Change News and Discussion thread earlier today. I am citing a different portion of that article here that discusses supercomputers. I am not worried about copyright constraints as this is all from a news release.

A Cloudless Future? The Mystery at the Heart of Climate Forecasts
May 31, 2021

Extract:
(News Release via EurekAlert) Whereas the most advanced U.S. global climate model are struggling to approach 4 kilometer global resolution, (Michael) Pritchard (professor of Earth System science at UC Irvine) estimates that models need a resolution of at least 100 meters to capture the fine-scale turbulent eddies that form shallow cloud systems — 40 times more resolved in every direction. It could take until 2060, according to Moore's law, before the computing power is available to capture this level of detail.

Pritchard is working to fix this glaring gap by breaking the climate modeling problem into two parts: a coarse-grained, lower-resolution (100km) planetary model and many small patches with 100 to 200 meter resolution. The two simulations run independently and then exchange data every 30 minutes to make sure that neither simulation goes off-track nor becomes unrealistic.

His team's reported the results of these efforts in the Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems in April 2022 (https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 1MS0028410. The research is supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Department of Energy (DOE).

This climate simulation method, called a ‘Multiscale Modeling Framework (MMF),' has been around since 2000 and has long been an option within the Community Earth System Model (CESM) model, developed at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. The idea has lately been enjoying a renaissance at the Department of Energy, where researchers from the Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM-https://e3sm.org/) have been pushing it to new computational frontiers as part of the Exascale Computing Project. Pritchard's co-author Walter Hannah from the Lawrence Livermore national laboratory helps lead this effort.

"The model does an end-run around the hardest problem – whole planet modeling," Pritchard explained. "It has thousands of little micromodels that capture things like realistic shallow cloud formation that only emerge in very high resolution."
Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/954415
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

When I read about ORNL Titan becoming the fastest supercomputer in November 2012, I thought that the real question is not how to get from ~20 petaflops to ~2 exaflops, but how to get from ~2 exaflops to ~200 exaflops. I think that the hardest part is in front of us, not behind us. Because the path to ANL Aurora is relatively straightforward. You increase the number of GPUs by 4x, increase power draw by 6x, increase GPU single core fp64 performance by 5x (mainly by improving fp64 to fp32 ratio) and increase the number of cores by also 5x. I don't think that another 100x will go as easily as that.

#1 When your fp64=fp32 you can't improve the ratio further (this is the case with the newest AMD Instinct GPUs)
#2 When your power draw is between 50 to 60 megawatts, you can't really scale it up anymore (unless you go to insane levels)
#3 When your frequency is around 2 GHz, you can't increase it much further without worsening power efficiency (that is why Epyc CPUs in Frontier are clocked so low)
#4 Silicon scaling (Moore's Law) is becoming increasingly costly below 12nm, cost per transistor is not falling down significantly anymore (that is why Aurora won't even have 8x Titan's storage and even 20x Titan's memory even though the computer will be around 5x costlier)
#5 You start running into Amdahl's Law problems in increasing real-world performance and not only theoretical performance (for real performance look up HPCG benchmark)

So I am very curious how they will scale supercomputers after Aurora. I am not surprised they can manage 2 exaflops. I will be surprised if they can manage 200 exaflops. That will be something. I can see possibly 10 exaflops (all in fp64) by increasing total core count by 5x, but what after that? Things become very hazy and vague after 10 exaflops.

In my opinion (same since 2012), scaling beyond 10 exaflops requires completely new ideas and completely new ways of increasing performance, because old ideas just won't work anymore. They simply won't bring what's needed. For example true 3D architectures could be what ushers a new era in performance scaling. I don't mean just stacking up some extra cache, but true 3D processors, that are designed and produced in all three dimensions, possibly with memristors instead of transistors. More than just improving CPU performance per clock by 2x and increasing core count by 5x. I will keep watching how supercomputers evolve, but what I see is that #500 improves more slowly than #1 and this means that the total impact will not be as great as some had hoped.