Apple

weatheriscool

Re: Apple

Post by weatheriscool »

Apple might finally make a touchscreen Mac / Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman reports a 2025 shift to OLED for the MacBook Pro could add the touchscreens Apple has so far resisted.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/11/2355 ... -pro-rumor
By Mitchell Clark
Jan 11, 2023, 1:36 PM PST|
The M2 MacBook Air is opened, facing the camera. Its display is on, showcasing a psychedelic purple and black wallpaper created by The Verge’s art and illustration team.
An M2 MacBook Air with a screen that doesn’t respond to touch. Photo by Becca Farsace / The Verge

Apple is working on Macs with touchscreens, according to a report from Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman. While it’s uncertain whether the devices will actually come to market, Gurman says in a tweet that we could see a touchscreen MacBook Pro as early as 2025. The report also notes that the screens may use OLED technology, as opposed to the Mini LED displays that are currently in the 14- and 16-inch models.

The project seems to be in relatively early stages, with engineers being “actively engaged,” according to the report. Gurman says that there are no final plans for launching touchscreen Macs and that plans could always change — we’ve seen Apple scrap projects before, and the company has made prototype Macs with touchscreens that never saw the light of day, according to Craig Federighi.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

How Apple's Upcoming Mixed-Reality Headset Will Work

• Device will switch between AR and VR, have iOS-like interface
  • Long-anticipated headset can show Mac display, immersive video
Apple Inc.’s long-anticipated mixed-reality headset is an ambitious attempt to create a 3D version of the iPhone’s operating system, with eye- and hand-tracking systems that could set the technology apart from rival products.

The roughly $3,000 device, due later this year under the likely name of Reality Pro, will take a novel approach to virtual meetings and immersive video, aiming to shake up a VR industry currently dominated by Meta Platforms Inc. It’s a high-stakes gambit for Apple, which is expanding into its first major new product category since releasing a smartwatch in 2015, and the company needs to wow consumers.

Apple is pushing into an uncertain market with a premium-priced product. The company’s 1,000-person-plus Technology Development Group has spent more than seven years on the project, and Apple is counting on it to become a new revenue source — especially with sales growth poised to stall this year.
https://archive.ph/PyKYX
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

Maybe I'm not up to date but I'm not seeing the same kinds of moves in AI from Apple like I'm seeing elsewhere.
Feels like they could be left behind?
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

lechwall wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 am Maybe I'm not up to date but I'm not seeing the same kinds of moves in AI from Apple like I'm seeing elsewhere.
Feels like they could be left behind?
Apple's the richest company in the world - I feel like we'll probably see them just buying some of the smaller but still good AI companies, poaching some of the big name talent from other companies, giving them the equipment and funds to do something big and fast, and call it a day. The IPhone wasn't the first smart phone, but it's still the phone. They didn't have the first smartwatch, but the Apple Watch is still either the watch or decent competition for the title. They're years behind Oculus/Meta but their headset announcement is the big news in the AR/VR space.

I'm no Apple stan, just like Google or Amazon it's just another company to me that makes the sort of products I want (although I have Amazon and Google stuff because I can better afford those), but I can recognize that they do have a huge pull on the general populace and have a lot of fans/stans. I mean, they could wind up in another Apple Homepod situation playing a distant third to Echo Dot and Google Mini in the smart home space for their AI ambitions, but it's not the most likely outcome.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Powers

Post by Powers »

spryfusion wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:28 am
Trillionare?!
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

spryfusion wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:06 am
And just as predicted, Apple's in the AI game.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »