GPU and CPU news and discussions

Tadasuke

Re: GPU and CPU news and discussions

Post by Tadasuke »

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Raptor Lake to Offer ‘Unlimited Power’ Mode for Those Who Don’t Care About Heat, Electric Bills
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... er-setting
By Josh Norem on August 11, 2022 at 10:45 am

Intel’s 13th generation Raptor Lake architecture is getting closer, as recent leaks indicate. As each new leak or screenshot appears online, we discover new capabilities Intel has planned for it. The latest is an “unlimited power” feature that lets you crank things up to 11, assuming you have sufficient cooling. On the Core i9-13900K, this setting allows for extreme power consumption to the tune of about 350W.

The news comes from Raichu on Twitter via Wccftech. They are a reliable provider of CPU-related information and seem to have a retail version of Raptor Lake. That is not confirmed, though, and they partially blurred out the description. This time around, they posted screenshots and Cinebench scores for the flagship Raptor Lake CPU. The Core i9-13900K sports eight hyper-threaded performance cores and 16 efficiency cores. It’s noted the CPU offers a dual-core boost clock of 5.8GHz, which is the same as previous leaks. Its all-core boost clocks are 5.5GHz, which is a big step up from the Core i9-12900KS’s single-core boost at that speed. This will be Intel’s first 24-core, 32-thread consumer CPU. Raichu posted screenshots of the CPU running Cinebench. R23. The benchmark was run with both a “power limited” setting and an “unlimited” setting.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Intel May Drop TSMC’s 3nm tGPU From Meteor Lake
https://phys.org/news/2022-08-antarctic ... ought.html
By Josh Norem on August 9, 2022 at 9:25 am
Over the past few weeks, there’s been a flurry of rumors about the imperiled GPU tile Intel needs for its 14th generation CPUs, code-named Meteor Lake. Intel planned for TSMC to make the GPU tile on its 3nm process originally. It would then combine it with three other tiles, two made by Intel, the other one by TSMC, to complete the CPU’s design. However, recent reports stated the 3nm tile might be delayed. It wasn’t clear if TSMC couldn’t deliver it on time, or if Intel’s own tiles wouldn’t be ready. Now a new rumor has surfaced saying Intel is cancelling it altogether. Instead, it will just use TSMC’s current 5nm process.

News of Intel revising its plans follows a report last week from Trendforce about Meteor Lake being delayed. It stated TSMC was planning on pushing its 3nm production schedule back quite a bit. This would have had a volatile ripple effect throughout its fab operations. It said Intel was responsible, but it wasn’t clear which company’s tiles were the culprit. Also, TSMC has granted Intel special status as a customer and devoted a sizable amount of capacity to it as well. If Intel were to say “not right now” to TSMC at this stage, it could cause problems, to put it lightly. TSMC is expected to enter high-volume manufacturing of its 3nm process very soon.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Next generation AMD desktop CPUs (7950X, $699) will be up to 74% faster at 65 watts, compared to Ryzen 5950X ($749 in 2020). This means that with a constant energy envelope, you could do significantly more than previously. It's especially important in mini-PCs, All-in-Ones (AiO) and laptops/ultrabooks. My own Ryzen 5700X uses 65 watts, which is half as much as my previous overclocked i7-2600K, that was 4 times slower and costed slightly more. Zen 4 CPUs support AVX-512 Vector Neural Network Instructions (VNNI) INT-8 calculations for inferencing, designed to accelerate convolutional neural networks.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Zen 1 4-core CCX was 1.4B transistors
Zen 2 8-core CCD is 3.9B transistors
Zen 3 8-core CCD is 4.15B transistors
Zen 4 8-core CCD is 6.57B transistors
CCX = Core Complex
CCD = Core Chiplet Die
Zen 4 has 135% more transistors per 8 cores than Zen 1
between Zen 1 and Zen 4, AMD has done multiple architectural improvements over the last 5.5 years
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Ok 🙂, thanks to ECSM_Official and OneRaichu, we have now real data on the performance improvements of the upcoming 24-core 32-thread i9-13900K on a Z790 motherboard, compared to the current 12900K on a Z690 motherboard. It is 41.78% faster, but unfortunately uses more energy. I'm most interested in Cinebench R15 (50,82%) and FP32 performance (44.73%). Its Cinebench R15 scores (for comparison) are 331 single and 6253 multi-core. The 13900K is the first Intel 1 teraflops mainstream consumer CPU 🎉. The 7950X should be of a similar performance. The 13900K will be over twice as fast as the 10900K from 2020 and around three times as fast as the 9900K from 2018. I wonder if Intel will keep that 3x every 4 years cadence... if you have the 9900K, it may be a good idea to upgrade to the 13900K (depending on your workloads).

And also, soon we will have affordable 10-core CPUs (13400F and 13400).
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Prices ought to be cratering sooner or later. Even the 4090 ought to be $899 at most.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »