GPU and CPU news and discussions

Tadasuke

a look back to 2010 in computer hardware

Post by Tadasuke »

Intel 4 core 8 thread 2.8 GHz i7-930 in March 2010 was only 6.1% faster than the i7-920 from September 2008. Price was 5 USD higher : $289 instead of $284. The 45nm Bloomfield i7-920 was on the other hand 63.3% faster than the 65nm Kentsfield Q6600 from 2007 ($266 in 2007). +63.3% was much more noticeable than +6.1% as you can imagine.

Then in July, the 45nm Lynnfield i7-875K was only 9.86% faster than the 45nm Bloomfield i7-930 for $342 MSRP, so a whooping 53 USD more (+18.33%), just 4 months later. All reviewers wrote it was too expensive for a four-core CPU and recommended AMD instead.

Radeon HD 6970 came out in December. Was only 11.3% faster than HD 5870 from September 2009, while being 33% more power hungry and 25% more expensive. It was a terrible deal and the first time in the history of graphics cards, when 15 months resulted in such a terribly small improvement (really a decrease in value proposition).

I should had understood then, that Ray Kurzweil and the likes, were wrong. But I didn't. I thought it was only a temporary situation and things would get much, much, much better in the coming years. It took me many years to understand my mistake, my gullibility and my inexperience.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Re: GPU and CPU news and discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Intel Announces Gaudi 3 AI Accelerator to Compete With Nvidia
Intel says its newest accelerator is superior to Nvidia's current H100 while costing much less.
By Josh Norem April 9, 2024
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/i ... ith-nvidia
In December 2023, Intel held a media event dubbed AI Everywhere. At the end of the event, CEO Pat Gelsinger brandished the company's next-generation AI accelerator, its third-generation Gaudi chip. At the time, Gelsinger said it would be available soon, and that time has come as Intel has made it official at its Intel Vision event today in Arizona.

This is the chip that Intel hopes will allow it to wade into the conversation about AI hardware, as that field has mainly been occupied by Nvidia, which holds between 80% to over 90% of the market, depending on who you ask. AMD also has a very competitive product with its MI300 family of products, and now Intel is entering the fray with Gaudi 3. The company says its newest accelerator delivers up to 50% faster inference than Nvidia's H100 in some workloads and also features 40% better efficiency while costing much less. Oddly, the company's announcement does not mention AMD at all.
Tadasuke

Intel vs AMD vs Qualcomm APU/SoC AI performance comparison

Post by Tadasuke »

Intel is trying to triple total TOPS (tera operations per second) between Meteor Lake (Q1 2024) and Lunar Lake (Q4 2024). AMD also wants to triple TOPS of their NPU in Strix Point, in comparison to Hawk Point, which has 60% more TOPS than AMD Phoenix from Q1 2023. 60% more TOPS translated to 40% higher performance. 3x more TOPS in Intel product can potentially translate to 2x higher performance (than Meteor Lake). Who knows exactly.

source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core- ... ops-for-ai
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

five Intel Gaudi infographics

Post by Tadasuke »

What truly matters is failure frequency, performance in actual workloads per kilowatt and performance calculated per $1000.
weatheriscool

Re: GPU and CPU news and discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

TSMC Reportedly Targeting 2025 and 2027 for Next-Generation 2nm and 1.4nm Processes
Apple will likely be the first customer for both nodes unless something unexpected happens in the next few years.
By Josh Norem April 11, 2024
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/t ... m-and-14nm
Now that TSMC is shifting into high gear with its 3nm process, the discussion turns to the company's next-generation processes, which will be 2nm followed by 1.4nm. Now a new report states TSMC has set its schedule for the highly-anticipated nodes, with 2nm arriving in 2025 and 1.4nm starting to appear somewhere around 2027. Apple will likely be the first customer for both nodes, just like it was with the company's 5nm and 3nm processes.
The new information on TSMC's roadmap comes from Digitimes, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. The article is paywalled, but Macrumors has a summary, stating 2nm trial production will begin later this year, but go into high-volume in 2025. The company will eventually begin 1.4nm production around 2027, but given the timelines involved, that number could change. There was also an earthquake in Taiwan last week that disrupted TSMC's operations for a bit, highlighting how unpredictable life can be on the island. There's also the potential for geopolitical destabilization as well, and TSMC is planning for it by allegedly moving some of its advanced nodes to its US operations.
Tadasuke

2008 - 2025 CPU memory bandwidth comparison

Post by Tadasuke »

I made a table comparing memory bandwidth of 17 years of CPU architectures (mostly Intel, but also AMD). As you can see, it does go up exponentially and won't stop anytime soon, but is being improved a bit slowly. It has gone up by 7x since 2008 Penryn, Lunar Lake is going to bring the multiplication to 8x, which is three doublings in 16 years, if LL is available this year.

According to some leaks and rumours, AMD Strix Point (laptop high-end, but possibly also desktop high-end) is supposed to get twice as many memory channels (in the most expensive laptops) than previous AMD laptop CPUs (or standard desktop CPUs) and also twice as many as Intel Lunar Lake, which is allegedly supposed to get the same DRAM speed (DDR5-8533). However, don't expect 273 GB/s on any low-end SKU during this decade. Lunar Lake will get on-package Foveros-integrated 16 or 32 GB of LPDDR5x.

Strix Point will probably have an 8 WGP/16 CUs RDNA 3+ integrated GPU and a next-gen NPU in 64 AI Engine tiles significantly enhancing on-chip AI capabilities. Strix Point APUs could have 24 MB of L3 and 12 MB of L2 cache in total. Its TDP will begin at 28 watts (so won't be for super low-power devices). Memory bandwidth would be useful for both graphical and AI processing. As a point of comparison, Xbox Series S has 4 x 2 GB of 1750 MHz 14 Gbps GDDR6 memory with 128-bit bus, resulting in 224 gigabytes/second (also has 2 GB of 56 GB/s system memory).

My guess is that cheaper 2-channel memory will reach 273 GB/s in Q4 2031 or Q1 2032, seven years after it reaches 273 with 4-channels. It took only 4 years to double bandwidth this time, but it might take longer next time. I find it difficult to believe that we would see 2-channel 240 GB/s in Q1 2028 (but extreme overclocking record is doable). High-end server SKUs already use 12-channel memory (from AMD, 8-channels from Intel), which would result in 819 GB/s total bandwidth with DDR5-8533. DDR6 might come in 2026 or 2027, according to some.

Tadasuke

official table with all PCI-express (from 2.5 GT/s in PCIe 1 to 128 GT/s in PCIe 7)

Post by Tadasuke »

16 lanes of PCI-express 1 allowed for 8 GB/s of bandwidth
16 lanes of PCI-express 5 allows for 128 GB/s of bandwidth
16 lanes of PCI-express 7 is going to allow for 512 GB/s of bandwidth

Tadasuke

next generation architectures coming in 2024

Post by Tadasuke »

HBM and AI chips 2022-2025:

Prediction for Q3-Q4 2024:

Current leaks and rumours imply that AMD Zen 5, Intel Arrow Lake, consumer Nvidia Blackwell and new AMD consumer RDNA GPUs will all offer about 25% more performance at the same price as their predecessors (Zen 4, Raptor Lake, Lovelace and RDNA 3) from late 2022.
Tadasuke

upcoming AMD Strix Halo APUs

Post by Tadasuke »

Tadasuke

AMD Zen 7 Prometheus Leak: An Army of 2nm Architectures after Zen 6!

Post by Tadasuke »

video about AMD Zen 6 and Zen 7 from "Moore's Law Is Dead" (the guy's name is Tom):