TSMC Racing to 1nm, Investing $32 Billion for Fab

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

In an interview, a vice prime minister of Taiwan said that TSMC had already made a strategic decision about where to build its fab capable of producing chips using 1nm-class (10 angstroms) fabrication technology in the second half of this decade. Still, these chip production facilities will be costly.

TSMC fabs that will make chips using its 1nm-class production nodes will be located near Longtan Science Park near Taoyuan, said Shen Jong-chin, vice prime minister of Taiwan, in an interview with Economic Daily(opens in new tab) (via Dan Nystedt(opens in new tab)). Of course, TSMC's plans have to be made official, and a lot may change by the time the world's largest foundry commits to the plan, but it looks like the company has already disclosed its general intentions to Taiwanese politicians.
1 nanometer! Wow! That's certainly cutting it very close to hard physical limits. Though I wonder if it might be possible to go even smaller, if only slightly. Like 0.8 nanometers.

Regardless, if this pans out, I can't wait to see the performance boosts.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: TSMC Racing to 1nm, Investing $32 Billion for Fab

Post by wjfox »

Great news. Let's just hope Taiwan can avoid political instability this decade...
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

That's amazing. I've heard 1 nanometer referenced before, on YouTube and elsewhere. But it's another thing to hear that our technologies are almost, if not already, there.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
ººº

Post by ººº »

🤖