Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

Time_Traveller

Re: Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

Twitter abruptly bans all links to Instagram, Mastodon, and other competitors
Updated Dec 18, 2022, 7:40 PM GMT

Twitter will no longer allow users to promote their presence on certain social platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Nostr, and Post. In a post outlining these changes, Twitter says it will take action against users that violate this policy “at both the Tweet level and the account level.”

© Illustration by Alex Castro / The Verge
This means users can no longer include links to their profiles on other social networks (or even include their handle without a URL) in their Twitter bio, nor can they link to their posts on banned platforms unless it’s a cross-post. Twitter also says it may suspend accounts “used for the main purpose of promoting content on another social platform,” and will no longer allow users to link to third-party link aggregators, like Linktree or Lnk.bio. Despite this, Twitter is still fine with the paid promotion of these banned platforms:

We recognize that certain social media platforms provide alternative experiences to Twitter, and allow users to post content to Twitter from these platforms. In general, any type of cross-posting to our platform is not in violation of this policy, even from the prohibited sites listed above. Additionally, we allow paid advertisement/promotion for any of the prohibited social media platforms.

Twitter says it will remove any tweets that contain violations of the policy, and could temporarily suspend users with links to banned social platforms in their profiles. It will also take action against users who try to get around this policy by cloaking URLs to other platforms or “spelling out “dot” for social media platforms that use ‘.’ in the names to avoid URL creation, or sharing screenshots of your handle on a prohibited social media platform.”
https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/18/235 ... ompetitors
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I don't think wjfox would allow me to post links to any place I liked either...So I don't think it is unfair.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:32 pm I don't think wjfox would allow me to post links to any place I liked either...So I don't think it is unfair.
WJ Fox runs a small well moderated site. So, that is false equivalence.

...and yes, there is a subjective element to what is "well moderated." The difference between well moderated and not, used to be called "common sense." Apparently, not so common anymore.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
raklian

Post by raklian »

Guys, vote if you have a Twitter account.

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
spryfusion

Post by spryfusion »

raklian wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 pm Guys, vote if you have a Twitter account.

ººº

Post by ººº »

raklian wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 pm Guys, vote if you have a Twitter account.

There must be a catch:
He said "as head of Twitter", not "from Twitter"
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Elon Musk is a Jekyll and Hyde character. And as head of Twitter, Hyde is winning

Sun 18 Dec 2022 09.00 GMT

Watching what’s going on at Twitter is like watching a guy losing his mind in slow motion. The guy in question is Elon Musk, who once upon a time was the world’s richest man and now isn’t. (That slot is apparently occupied by Bernard Arnault, the luxury goods mogul.)

Musk is in a hole but apparently doesn’t know Denis Healey’s First Law of Holes: when you’re in one, stop digging. The funny thing is that he dug the hole himself. First, he paid way over the odds for Twitter. Then, when Tesla shares (the main source of his wealth) tanked, and Twitter’s share price dropped, he tried to get out of the deal. That failed, so he was forced to borrow a lot of money – incurring interest payments of around a billion dollars a year – thereby becoming the reluctant owner of a loss-making company. And he hasn’t the faintest idea of how to make it work.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... is-winning
Vector

Post by Vector »

=================================================================
My YouTube channel: ARMED FORCES
=================================================================
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:32 pm I don't think wjfox would allow me to post links to any place I liked either...So I don't think it is unfair.
He doesn't want any right-wing bias links which you post.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

To be clear, I don't block "any" right-wing links. There are plenty of conservative-leaning sources that are perfectly acceptable here.

But if something is obviously very biased and misleading, then I consider it harmful, not just to public discourse, but the way search engines are likely to view this forum and rank us in terms of quality. So I'll block those more extreme links. This includes left-wing sources, btw.

This article has a great "bell curve" of media bias, which illustrates the point.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-b ... 2018-02-28

Edit: Unpaywalled version:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... 2018-02-28