Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Social Media & Big Tech news and discussions

Post by wjfox »

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

I mean Twitter has always been a cesspit. I don't have a Twitter account and am a better person for it. Nice for meteorology and war information but that's all I use it for.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Xyls wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:33 pm I mean Twitter has always been a cesspit. I don't have a Twitter account and am a better person for it. Nice for meteorology and war information but that's all I use it for.
Reddit is far worse but yeah I get your point.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Honestly, I don't use Reddit much anymore either, except for my local sub mostly. I still think Twitter is worse because it is more likely to give you overly simple hot-takes where at least on Reddit nuance can be added to arguments. Although both usually result in echo chambers of stupid for their users.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Thats why Mastodon is much more relaxed and hardly a cesspool of hatred unlike the bird.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
ººº

Post by ººº »

Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:30 pm Thats why Mastodon is much more relaxed and hardly a cesspool of hatred unlike the bird.
Give them time (and luck).
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

ººº wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:12 pm
Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:30 pm Thats why Mastodon is much more relaxed and hardly a cesspool of hatred unlike the bird.
Give them time (and luck).
They are owned by the community and if theres hatred, the account gets instantly blocked.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Elon Musk has reportedly stopped paying rent on Twitter offices and told staff not to pay vendors
Source: Market Watch

Elon Musk seems to be squaring up for some legal battles at Twitter, which he bought in October for $44 billion, as the Tesla chief executive has stopped paying rent on its offices and has told employees not to pay vendors, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

Citing people familiar with internal conversations, Musk has also revamped Twitter’s legal department, has refused to pay a $197,725 bill for private charter flights made the week of his takeover — and is considering denying severance payments to thousands of people who have been laid off since his deal, the Times reported.

Musk has threatened employees with lawsuits if they talk to the media or ““act in a manner contrary to the company’s interest,” according to an internal email sent last Friday that the Times obtained.

Musk set about cutting costs at the social-media platform immediately on closing his deal. In his first week, he was hit by a wave of resignations, implemented massive layoffs and reversed suspensions on certain accounts. Advertisers have responded by cutting ties with the company.
Read more: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 1671019938
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Elon Jet, the Twitter Account Tracking Elon Musk’s Flights, Was Permanently Suspended
by Amanda Siberling
December 14, 2022

Introduction:
(TechCrunch) The Twitter account @ElonJet, which uses publicly available data to track the whereabouts of Elon Musk’s private jet, has been permanently suspended from Twitter.

“My commitment to free speech extends even to not banning the account following my plane, even though that is a direct personal safety risk,” Musk tweeted on November 6. Over the last month, it seems Musk changed his mind.

Jack Sweeney, the University of Central Florida student who created @ElonJet, also operated similar bots that track private jet activity of tech moguls like Mark Zuckerberg. Yet none of Sweeney’s other accounts have been affected, including an account that tracks the travel of Elon Musk’s brother, Kimbal Musk.

Update, 12/14/22, 2:30 PM ET: Jack Sweeney’s personal account has been banned from Twitter, along with the accounts of the other automated flight trackers that he operated.

The account has been a sore spot for Musk for a long time. In January, Musk DMed Sweeney on Twitter and offered the student $5,000 to delete @ElonJet, but he turned down
Read more here: https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/14/elon- ... uspended/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Apparently he is taking legal action again him? For what exactly? Reposting publicly available information? This is literally a first amendment right...

Elon is such a fuckin' tool.