Starlink & Global Internet

Yuli Ban

Starlink & Global Internet

Post by Yuli Ban »

Here's a thread dedicated to schemes meant to bring internet to the entire globe through aerospace means, especially Starlink
SpaceX’s Starlink is in talks with ‘several’ airlines for in-flight Wi-Fi
The team behind SpaceX’s growing satellite internet network Starlink is in talks with “several” airlines to beam internet to their airplanes, the project’s vice president said during a conference panel on Wednesday. Expanding Starlink from rural homes and onto airlines is an expected move for Elon Musk’s space company as it races to open the broadband network commercially later this year.

“We’re in talks with several of the airlines,” Jonathan Hofeller, SpaceX’s VP of Starlink and commercial sales, told a panel at the Connected Aviation Intelligence Summit on Wednesday. “We have our own aviation product in development… we’ve already done some demonstrations to date, and looking to get that product finalized to be put on aircraft in the very near future.”

Since 2018, SpaceX has launched nearly 1,800 Starlink satellites out of the roughly 4,400 it needs to provide global coverage of broadband internet, primarily for rural homes where fiber connections aren’t available. The company is in the midst of a Starlink beta phase that promises up to 100Mbps download and 20Mbps upload speeds, with tens of thousands of users so far. Most are paying $99 per month for internet under that beta, using a $499 bundle of a self-aligning Starlink dish and Wi-Fi router.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Re: Starlink & Global Internet

Post by raklian »

Flaming by the astronomy lovers begin in 3.... 2.... 1....
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I mean, I understand their resentment. It DOES help ruin the sky. I just feel granting access to the internet to the rest of the world is more important and find some of the arguments why this shouldn't be done to be a bit— what do those types call it— "problematic." Like, let's keep half the world in the dark and kept poorer because a bunch of rich nerds want their sky to be clean.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 am I mean, I understand their resentment. It DOES help ruin the sky. I just feel granting access to the internet to the rest of the world is more important and find some of the arguments why this shouldn't be done to be a bit— what do those types call it— "problematic." Like, let's keep half the world in the dark and kept poorer because a bunch of rich nerds want their sky to be clean.
I agree with you, Yuli. I even suggested to them that with the profits from Starlink, the Starship program may even help them ultimately establish a mega telescope on the Moon for a view of the stars not possible on Earth due to atmospheric disturbances, so they should support it. They'll be able to go to the Moon for the cost of an airline ticket. They just need to hold a long view.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Elon Musk's Starlink to provide internet nearly worldwide within weeks
Elon Musk’s satellite network Starlink is on track to beam broadband internet everywhere in the world except the polar regions by August.

Space Exploration Technologies Corp. has launched more than 1,500 satellites so far and has Starlink operations in about a dozen countries, Musk said during a presentation at the Mobile World Congress conference on Tuesday. That’s costing a lot. SpaceX’s total investment in the network will be between $5 billion and $10 billion before cash flow is positive, he said.

Some $20 billion or $30 billion may be needed in the longer term to maintain Starlink’s competitive position, Musk added. The service, which has more than 69,000 active users, may reach half a million in the next 12 months, he said.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Starlink Is Already Getting Close to Wired Broadband Speeds

By Ryan Whitwam on August 6, 2021 at 11:00 am
SpaceX has only been deploying satellites for its Starlink internet service for a couple of years, but it’s already putting traditional satellite internet to shame. According to the latest data from Ookla Speedtest, Starlink has seen substantial speed improvements that put it close to wired broadband. It’s even managed this while increasing subscriber counts by more than 25 percent.

For the uninformed, Starlink is one of several next-gen satellite internet systems. Elon Musk’s outfit is far in the lead thanks to SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket. This flight-proven vehicle can take 60 Starlink nodes into orbit at a time, and the costs are low thanks to the reusable design. As of now, Starlink has more than 1,600 functional satellites in various orbits, including some that are much lower than traditional satellite internet, which improves speed and latency compared to these solutions.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/325 ... and-speeds
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Amazon signs on launch partners for space internet
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-amazon-pa ... ernet.html
Amazon on Tuesday announced deals for scores of launches to deploy a "constellation" of satellites in low orbit around the Earth to provide internet service to people below.

Amazon said that its contracts with Arianespace, Blue Origin and United Launch Alliance (ULA) are the largest commercial procurement of launch vehicles in history.

The overall cost and timing of launches booked to make Amazon's Project Kuiper a reality were not disclosed.

"We still have lots of work ahead, but the team has continued to hit milestone after milestone across every aspect of our satellite system," Amazon senior vice president Dave Limp said in a statement.

"Project Kuiper will provide fast, affordable broadband to tens of millions of customers in unserved and underserved communities around the world."

US billionaire Elon Musk, head of the space company SpaceX, has already put more than 1,500 satellites into orbit to create a Starlink internet service network.

Late last year Boeing entered the space internet race, getting US authorization for satellites that will provide internet services from above.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

US Air Force tests Elon Musk’s Starlink for F-35A Lightning II communications
It appears that the United States Air Force is also starting to see the value of Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet system. Starlink was one of the options the US Air Force in Utah tested last week as a possible means to improve communications capabilities and support the operations of the F-35A Lightning II. 
According to the US Air Force, the tests were aimed at evaluating and exploring high-speed communications in remote locations. After all, the flow of information is critical in a wartime environment, as highlighted by the performance of Starlink in Ukraine. Starlink has helped Ukraine stay connected to the internet amidst the Russian invasion, a factor that officials state has helped save numerous lives.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

French court revokes SpaceX's Starlink internet license, citing monopolization concerns
about 24 hours ago

The highest administrative court in France revoked SpaceX's license to provide internet services in the country via its Starlink megaconstellation, citing monopolization concerns due to the size and scale of the company's operations.

France's telecom regulator, Arcep, awarded SpaceX the license in February 2021 without first conducting a public consultation, the court determined.

The court appeal was led by two environmental organizations that cited possible impacts of the megaconstellation on the environment, including light pollution, space debris and also human health.
https://www.space.com/starlink-french-c ... polization
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.

Post by Member »

Google be like