Windows 11

wjfox
Site Admin

Windows 11

Post by wjfox »

We’ve Tested Windows 11 Ahead of Next Week’s Launch

June 16, 2021

On June 24, Microsoft will unveil its latest version of Windows, Windows 11. We spent some time with the OS today after a copy leaked online. The upgrade function didn’t work properly on our testbed and the system itself failed to recognize the OS image when we installed it on a bootable drive (both USB and not). Fortunately, VMWare Workstation Pro 16 can virtualize a TPM 2.0 module, provided you have one in your system. This specific OS image requires it. It took a few hours to get things squared away, but the eventual result was this desktop:

The image dates to very late May, making it fairly recent. We don’t know when Microsoft will release Windows 11 to manufacturers for system shipments, but nothing about the installation implied the release was less than final. That doesn’t mean it isn’t, however, so take what you see with a grain of salt.

I want to be clear about something upfront: This is not a review. We have not been briefed on Windows 11 or heard Microsoft discuss its features. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a few thoughts about what there is to see, but this is no kind of final word on the end product.

Read more: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... -11-tested
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Post by wjfox »

Windows 11 launches with redesigned start menu

9 hours ago

Windows 11, the latest version of Microsoft's computer operating system, launches worldwide on Tuesday as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users.

Windows chief product officer Panos Panay, told the BBC the latest version was built to be "clean and fresh and simpler" for the user.

He promised that the new operating system would not be an "extreme departure" from what people know.

And even the least tech-savvy users can upgrade easily, he added.

"I use the frame of my father - he's 89," Mr Panay said. "I'm so excited for him to hit that button and upgrade, you have no idea.

"Not because he's my dad - because I just want it to be easy for him."

He said expert users had already tested it extensively through Window's Insider trial programme and was confident there would be no teething issues, adding the upgrade is "ready now".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58795119

erowind

Post by erowind »

Will anyone here upgrade? I don't have a TPM 2.0 module which I believe is still required, though I'm not sure this is a very consumer friendly move. There's a possibility that this requirement is not just for securities sake and is another inch towards a windows that can only install apps through the microsoft store. I'm not saying that's happening right now, but it could in the future.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27637115

Outside of the more scathing critiques I wish that all modern windows versions let users pick the UI they want. I prefer windows Vista/7 and would love to just have functionality and performance updates on that UI.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

I won't be updating any time soon. Every major update is a havoc and at least a few apps won't be compatible. This is true for any platform: had this issue with Windows, Mac and even a Linux server.

If it starts to get forcibly installed I'll probably not fight it, tho.
And, as always, bye bye.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

^ I would wait until the next version (Windows 98, XP, 7 and 10)
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Microsoft is done with major Windows 10 updates

Apr 27, 2023, 8:41 PM GMT+1

Windows 10 22H2 will be the final version of the operating system, Microsoft said in a blog post on Thursday. Moving forward, all editions of Windows 10 will be supported with monthly security updates until October 14th, 2025, when Microsoft will end support. (Some releases on the Long-Term Servicing Channel, or LTSC, will get updates past that end of support date.)

Microsoft is encouraging users to now transition to Windows 11 because Windows 10 won’t be getting any new features.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/27/2370 ... of-support

Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm Microsoft is done with major Windows 10 updates

Windows 10 22H2 will be the final version of the operating system, Microsoft said in a blog post on Thursday. Moving forward, all editions of Windows 10 will be supported with monthly security updates until October 14th, 2025, when Microsoft will end support. (Some releases on the Long-Term Servicing Channel, or LTSC, will get updates past that end of support date.)

Microsoft is encouraging users to now transition to Windows 11 because Windows 10 won’t be getting any new features.

Well at least i know when updates will officially finish on my laptop then i will see whether or not to update my laptop too.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

wjfox wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm Microsoft is done with major Windows 10 updates

Reminds me of the forced push to Windows 10 in 2015. Sheer weirdness on that one.