Tube to get full mobile network by end of 2024, says London mayor

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tue 22 Jun 2021 07.28 BST

Passengers on the London underground will have mobile coverage throughout the network by the end of 2024, the mayor of London has said.

Transport for London (TfL) said work on preparing some of the capital’s busiest stations, including Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court Road and Bank, would begin soon, and they would be among the first fully connected stations by the end of next year.

TfL has awarded a 20-year concession to BAI Communications (BAI), a global provider of 4G and 5G connected infrastructure, to counter so-called not-spots in the network.

The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, who was re-elected last month, said: “I promised Londoners that if they re-elected me for a second term as mayor I would deliver 4G throughout the tube network.”

Permanent phone reception was made available on underground sections of London’s tube network for the first time in March last year when the eastern half of the Jubilee line was covered.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... sadiq-khan
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Tube to get full mobile network by end of 2024, says London mayor

Post by wjfox »

Not necessarily a good thing – I quite enjoy "phone silence" on the tube, so I don't have to endure people bellowing into their mobiles. :)