Climate Change News & Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Climate Change News & Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:23 am I've come to the conclusion that fusion, nuclear, hydro for energy and carbon capture are probably the best ways to deal with climate change. You could also argue for some other method to break down the co2 in the atmosphere! We're very close to making fusion a reality with china able to make it work for over 5 minutes earlier this year and better methods of containing and keeping it going. There's no question in my mind that a few hundred billion in investment into fusion will allow us to rapidly move towards a carbon neutral source of energy. Our goal is to measure what is best for the population of our planet with what is best to tackle global warming.

I like these ideas because I believe humanity should learn how to control our climatic system, learn how to change the atmosphere and in doing so become a more powerful species that could one day make mars and other planets livable. Practice opens doors.

Also consider this, fusion would allow for a full transition to electric cars and away from fossil fuels. It would literally make fossil fuels idiotic literally over night.
BaobabScion

Post by BaobabScion »

weatheriscool wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:23 am I've come to the conclusion that fusion, nuclear, hydro for energy and carbon capture are probably the best ways to deal with climate change. You could also argue for some other method to break down the co2 in the atmosphere! We're very close to making fusion a reality with china able to make it work for over 5 minutes earlier this year and better methods of containing and keeping it going. There's no question in my mind that a few hundred billion in investment into fusion will allow us to rapidly move towards a carbon neutral source of energy. Our goal is to measure what is best for the population of our planet with what is best to tackle global warming.

I like these ideas because I believe humanity should learn how to control our climatic system, learn how to change the atmosphere and in doing so become a more powerful species that could one day make mars and other planets livable. Practice opens doors.
A few-hundred billion, and probably more than that, has already been invested in fusion over the course of half a century and 17 minutes of not-even-breaking-even is all that has been achieved. You say that you care for the downtrodden (which is doubtful considering some of the other things you've said on this forum). Well, neglecting renewables in favor of a technology that's perpetually 30 years away and continuing to shill for fossil fuels - in effect what you're suggesting with this post - is guaranteed to condemn billions to a horrible fate.

You don't have 50 years. You have at most about 5-10 years before your little house in Oregon gets burned to a crisp.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Solar PV and wind turbines are proven, cheap, easily scalable, and by far the best way to reduce emissions right now. Alongside batteries to cover intermittency issues.

Yet, you'd rather focus on a speculative technology that may (or may not) arrive at some unspecified point in the future, alongside fission that's increasingly expensive and time-consuming to build, and hydro that isn't practical for many places and will only ever account for a small percentage of the energy mix, and carbon capture that also isn't proven at scale yet.

I'm increasingly bewildered by your posts.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

This is from 2 years ago:

https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... meline.htm

The costs will be even lower by now.

If you're concerned about electricity costs for the average person, you should be supporting solar.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

This is such a wise article (as usual on this website), arguing that presenting climate change as a impending catastrophe which needs taking care of by reducing common people's finances, won't work well and the majority won't go along with it. It's not about being climate change deniers, but thinking realistically.

https://www.humanprogress.org/dont-pit- ... ach-other/
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 pm This is such a wise article (as usual on this website), arguing that presenting climate change as a impending catastrophe which needs taking care of by reducing common people's finances, won't work well and the majority won't go along with it. It's not about being climate change deniers, but thinking realistically.

https://www.humanprogress.org/dont-pit- ... ach-other/

As I told you before – humanprogress.org is a fossil fuel propaganda site, Koch-founded and supported.

But whatever... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I seriously give up with some of you guys. :oops:
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:45 pmAs I told you before – humanprogress.org is a fossil fuel propaganda site, Koch-founded and supported.

But whatever... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I seriously give up with some of you guys. :oops:
I don't agree with you. I trust them.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:53 pm
I don't agree with you. I trust them.

Then you're really gullible and enjoy being lied to.

HumanProgress.org was established by the Cato Institute, co-founded by Charles Koch (arguably the most notorious spreader of fossil fuel propaganda in the world).

Why would you trust the multi-billionaire owner of fossil fuel companies, as opposed to literally 99.9% of climate studies? Answer me that.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

With Bernie Sanders bowing out, the progressive wing of the Democratic Party needs to start thinking seriously of putting up a primary opponent to Biden. Such an opponent should make clear that in the general election, Biden is still likely to be better than anybody the Republicans nominate. Why do I lead in with this political comment in a thread concerning climate change?

The People vs. Petrocracy
by Stan Cox
June 22, 2022

Introduction:
(Counterpunch) The United States is moving fast on climate change—in the wrong direction. The Energy Information Agency forecasts that by 2023, the nation will set a new annual record for oil extraction: 4.6 billion barrels. Plans to build more than 200 new natural gas power plants are in the works. More than 130 new oil and gas pipelines now under development will carry enough fuel to increase national emissions by 10 percent—560 million metric tons per year.

Now, freaked out by high fuel prices, the Democratic majority in Congress is pushing to accelerate this fossil fuel rush while President Biden rushes, hat in hand, to Saudi Arabia, forgetting that the kingdom is supposed to be a pariah. Furthermore, as Robinson Meyer recently wrote in The Atlantic, the party’s leadership seems blissfully unbothered by the fact that Congress has failed to pass even the weakest of laws to curb climate catastrophe. And if the Democrats—having been unable to defend either voters’ rights or life on Earth over the past year and a half—lose their congressional majority to the oily authoritarians in November, our already dim hopes for the federal government to reverse course and start phasing out fossil fuels could fade away altogether.

If that nightmare scenario unfolds, local and regional activism will not only become more essential than ever; it could be the nation’s only route to climate mitigation and adaptation. As the republic teeters on a knife edge in coming months, “In Real Time” will be recognizing grassroots movements across the country that stand as exemplars for collective climate action. Climate is not always the chief focus of such struggles, but the movements’ strategies and methods are deeply relevant.
Read more here: https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/06/ ... trocracy/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

wjfox wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 am

This is from 2 years ago:

https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... meline.htm

The costs will be even lower by now.

If you're concerned about electricity costs for the average person, you should be supporting solar.

I am supporting solar. It just seems to me that it would be simpler once online to use fusion for most of the heavy lifting. Society isn't supportive of the scale of solar that would be needed. I say this as someone watches politics of literally the world. I believe that the right will also support the investment to get fusion online once it is up and running. Trying to scale solar to anywhere near this level will have huge opposition and we've seen just that.
Last edited by weatheriscool on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.