Nuclear Fission and Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: Nuclear Fission and Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

20 Megawatt Nuclear Reactors That Can Fit In a Truck

March 7, 2024 by Brian Wang
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2024/03/2 ... truck.html
NANO Nuclear is a startup that has raised over $8 million to develop micro nuclear fission reactors with up to 20 megawatts of power. They will be transported by Semi Trucks.

They plan to sell 1,000 microreactors on a yearly basis for a trillion-dollar industry. Nuclear currently supplies some 18% of US power needs off 95GW of installed capacity, according to the Energy Information Agency (EIA). The Department of Energy (DoE) forecasts the country will need around 200GW of new nuclear capacity to reach net-zero by 2050.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Say No to Small Modular Reactors: Stop Normalizing the Exploitation of Nature
by Erin Hurley
April 1, 2024

Introduction:
(Bulletin of Atomic Scientists) Among other global crises, the worsening impacts of climate change are intensifying every year. Last year was the warmest on record and, beginning in March 2023, raging wildfires filled cities across Canada with smoke for months. This year is already shaping up to be warmer than the last. This is why a lot of young people are questioning the very systems we live under. This is why many of us support a rapid and just transition in energy. But in this process, some governments are promoting an expansion of nuclear power, supposedly to solve climate change. I fear that such an expansion will result in my generation having to confront an equally terrifying set of problems resulting from the nuclear fuel chain.

This is precisely what I already see happening around me in the Canadian province of New Brunswick where I live and study. Over the last few years, the province’s government has advocated for and funded the development of what it calls small modular reactors (SMRs). Even though SMR doesn’t include the word “nuclear,” these are nuclear reactors. Ostensibly, these reactors are meant to decarbonize the Canadian economy. But in 2021, New Brunswick Energy Minister Mike Holland protested the 2030 target for phasing out coal in the province, saying new nuclear reactors would not be ready in time to meet that goal. How will the expansion of nuclear power decarbonize the economy if, meanwhile, New Brunswick is still extracting and burning fossil fuels?

The province has funded two companies—Moltex Energy and ARC Clean Technology—to develop small modular reactors. On their websites, Moltex and ARC market nuclear power as “clean,” “carbon free,” and a “clean energy solution.”
Read more here: https://thebulletin.org/2024/04/say-no ... -heading
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »