Tropical Weather & Hurricane Season

Yuli Ban

Re: Tropical Weather & Hurricane Season

Post by Yuli Ban »

Boy it's hot without power. I don't know how people did it before AC!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

@Yuli Ban I can relate to that a little. Where I currently have has no AC, and we moved in the middle of a heatwave (albeit mostly in the 90s instead of the 100s, which was very hot for the region we moved to). But we got so used to having AC, that it was a pretty miserable summer. Luckily we were able to get fans pretty quickly, but sometimes it's only blowing hot air around. However, since you all have no power, I bet that is even more miserable! I can't even imagine. But, I can empathize. Also, I've noticed tempers flare easier when it is really hot.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Thankfully I might be getting a generator. Plus some battery powered lamps, which I absolutely will be getting.

All I need is a window AC and enough juice to power my laptop and I can persist mostly as per normal.

Small living + relatively few expenses means I have an excess of cash to spend on these things.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

SerethiaFalcon wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:06 am @Yuli Ban I can relate to that a little. Where I currently have has no AC, and we moved in the middle of a heatwave (albeit mostly in the 90s instead of the 100s, which was very hot for the region we moved to). But we got so used to having AC, that it was a pretty miserable summer. Luckily we were able to get fans pretty quickly, but sometimes it's only blowing hot air around. However, since you all have no power, I bet that is even more miserable! I can't even imagine. But, I can empathize. Also, I've noticed tempers flare easier when it is really hot.
It hasn't actually been THAT awful for me. Then again, I have my car and a full tank of gas to thank for that. I got in while this town still had gas, and thus have a free air-conditioned phone-charging pod I can sit in for hours.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

New Orleans Needs a Better Backup Plan for Blackouts
by Justine Calma
September 1, 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/1/22650 ... icity-grid

Introduction:
(The Verge) Hurricane Ida thoroughly wrecked New Orleans’ power supply, preying on vulnerabilities that are only likely to get worse in the future as storms like Ida become more fierce. The storm knocked out all eight transmission lines that bring power into New Orleans, plunging the city into darkness. The damage was so intense that a new gas-fired power plant — sold as something that could keep the lights on after big storms — took days to bring power to the nearest neighborhood.

To keep the lights on in the future, leaders need to abandon old strategies and build up different kinds of energy infrastructure, experts say. The fallout from Ida is yet another reminder of how fragile the country’s existing energy infrastructure is, especially as climate change brings on more extreme weather.(1)

“We’ve been saying, you know, we can’t depend on the traditional system,” says Logan Atkinson Burke, executive director of the local consumer advocacy group Alliance for Affordable Energy. “We need to be planning for the kind of climate impacts that we know are coming, and here they are. Having not planned for them, we’re experiencing the kinds of problems we expected.”

Even before the storm, it was clear that power lines were vulnerable, Burke and other energy experts have said for years. And rather than build another big power plant — in a flood-prone area, no less — the city could have distributed more resilient sources of renewable energy across the city.

Instead, electric and gas utility Entergy has been fined for delaying maintenance to the area’s energy system, The Washington Post reports,(2) which can make the grid even more vulnerable when storms strike. In a move that baffled many residents, Entergy built a controversial new $210 million gas-fired power plant in New Orleans that come online last year. The utility said the plant would help keep the lights on in the event of a major storm like Ida.

1. https://www.theverge.com/22617371/extre ... ate-change
2. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... e=hs_email (Subscription required to read this article).
Last edited by caltrek on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Ida's remains threaten once-in-a-century flood event in Northeast
Source: CBS NEWS

BY JEFF BERARDELLI

After slamming into Louisiana with 150 mph winds, Ida has weakened below tropical depression status. But even though the winds are gone, the threat for significant flash flooding remains as the system pushes northeast. In fact, that threat will only grow larger as the tropical moisture merges with a jet stream diving south from the Great Lakes.

The expectation for widespread 4 to 8 inch rainfalls across some parts of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast has prompted the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Weather Prediction Center to issue a rare "high risk" for torrential rainfall, warning that this could be a 1-in-100 year event for some areas.

On Tuesday night, the system was located over the eastern Tennessee Valley and Central Appalachians. The rain was falling moderately, but had yet to be supercharged by the impending jet stream. That will happen on Wednesday and Wednesday night.

Weather models are predicting 4 to 6 inches of rain over a widespread area, with isolated spots picking up over 8 inches. The heaviest rain looks to fall from the hills of northern West Virginia and Maryland, northeastward through Pennsylvania, northern New Jersey, southeastern New York and southern New England. This includes cities like Cumberland, Maryland, Harrisburg and Allentown, Pennsylvania, New York City and Hartford, Connecticut.

A rare high risk was issued by NOAA for the area shaded in purple.
CBS NEWS

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ida-flooding-northeast/
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

We're having one-in-a-century weather events every year now!
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

https://www.etrviewoutage.com/map?state=LA
Redder than our state's voting patterns

Understandably, a lot of people are pissed.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The f*ck! Ida's still a named storm and it's fucking up New York now?!