Extreme weather news and discussion

Xyls

Re: Extreme weather news and discussion

Post by Xyls »

The storm line is moving through Omaha, a tornado warning was also in the outer parts of the metro... Once this gets into Iowa the main risk for long track tornadoes is going to begin for a potential EF3/EF4 tornado... I expect there will be at least 1 of these tonight if not 2...

This is Lincoln earlier... hurricane force winds...

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Fk... this is riding right up the I80 and may have touched down close to Council Bluffs during rush hour...

Another tornado in a population of 300. Luckily most of these towns are small and so far no really powerful long-track tornado...

Last edited by Xyls on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Evil comma
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

I'm now seeing lightning a short bit away, and the lights are flickering (there are a lot of branches close to power lines in this city), so I expect the lights may go out at some point. No tornadoes yet. I haven't seen any news from anyone else on here, so I don't know if that aspect of the storm system died down.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

The wind is definitely powerful tonight, and the rain is falling in short spurts, dumping a bunch at once. Then it dies down again. No tornadoes still.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

There was rotation detected in southeast Rochester, near Stewartville, but I'm in the northern part. I think sirens went off but they were distant from where I am. At this point, I am unsure that anything hit the ground, though (This was according to my Accuweather app, so take that with a grain of salt).
Last edited by SerethiaFalcon on Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Interesting side note, usually, there are helicopters heard every day in Rochester, I think from people being medically evacuated to the hospital (but I'm unsure on this), but today, because of the high winds, there were no helicopters.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

The worst is past this area, I think. No power outages in the northern part of the city. The southern part of the city has power outages though (Correction: guess there have been some in the north, but not from what is visible where I'm at). I don't see any damage from my window, but I would need to walk around to tell. I don't go for walks at night typically, so I'll just have to walk around tomorrow instead.

*Note: Realized the time it was saying on here was off. Fixed it, so now it should show accurate times for when things occurred. All in all, the worst part of the storm lasted from 7:30 pm to 8:10 pm or so. There may have been more rotations and tornadoes than I accounted for, I'm just only sharing what I knew of. Definitely, an unusual storm system to be moving through in mid-December!
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I am very skeptical to listen to "experts" linking individual tornadoes or tornado events to climate change. Fixing climate change does not mean that tornadoes cannot happen in December and this outbreak was not particularly outside where you would expect tornadoes to occur in December based on climatology. If there are tornadoes in Iowa/Minnesota tomorrow which is looking like a real possibility that would be more of an eyebrow raiser. But tornadoes have occurred in Wisconsin before in December.
It is actually not that unusual for a person who is well versed in meteorology to be skeptical of claims related to climate change theory. You have put your finger on one reason: they realize that freak weather events have struck a particular region before. I suspect there is another reason: that they are not talking to climatologists. Especially climatologists who run massive computer simulations of climate on a global scale.

I am neither a meteorologist or a climatologist. I have had these kinds of debates before with highly intelligent people, and it invariably comes down to their not fully understanding what the climatologists have been up to. At least IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Which does bring up another interesting topic. How to foster trust in narrow AI (Artificial Intelligence) when only an elite priesthood is given access to running such models. The restriction of access being due to economic considerations. Especially when some of those that can afford such access decide to foster denialism instead of facing up to the truth. At least in their public pronouncements
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

We actually did end up having our power go out for probably one to two hours (around 11:00 pm to 12:00 am or so), but it was due to the high winds after the storm, not the storm itself. That wind was fierce! I'm always amazed here at how quickly things get fixed! Also, not much damage in our area that I can tell.