2021 Tokyo Olympics

Yuli Ban

Re: 2021 Tokyo Olympics

Post by Yuli Ban »

Japan's COVID-19 cases rise 87% during first week of Olymics
Halfway through the Summer Olympics in Japan, coronavirus cases are surging in the nation during a state of emergency though the outbreak is nowhere near as severe as other places as the world deal with a more contagious Delta variant.

Tokyo 2020 boss Toshiro Muto said at a news conference Sunday that the COVID-19 surge is not linked to the Games, which included 11,000 athletes representing 206 countries. The positivity rate is only 0.02% -- 72 out of around 350,000 tests through Friday, which includes participants and other stakeholders.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Simone Biles' Temporary Exit Brings Global Attention to Mental Health
by Neal Rothschild
August 4, 2021

https://www.axios.com/simone-biles-ment ... 1a681.html

Introduction:
(Axios) Simone Biles' withdrawal from Olympics gymnastics events generated significant public interest in mental health, according to exclusive data from NewsWhip.

Why it matters: The Tokyo Games offered the ultimate platform for the topic to get global attention, with much of the world watching the same story.

Biles sparked a bigger conversation about mental health than either Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah or Naomi Osaka's withdrawal from the French Open — both of which generated significant international interest.

By the numbers: In the week following Biles' withdrawal from the team event, stories about the gymnast and mental health generated more than 2 million social media interactions (likes, comments, shares) — 25% higher than Meghan and Harry in the days following their interview.
  • Google searches about mental health spiked that day, hitting their highest level in more than two months.
caltrek's comment: Maybe it is just the generation to which I belong, but casting all of this as a "mental health" issue seems odd. After all, the problem seems to be Bile's ability to maintain her orientation while twisting around in mid-air. I can't even twist around in mid-air, let alone maintain my orientation while doing so. If it is a mental health issue, it is on the opposite end of the spectrum of such issues as I think of them. To me, a mental health issue is somebody that suffers from what we use to call a nervous break down, or somebody suffering from an addiction issue.

Maybe this change in thinking is positive. Maybe thinking of mental health as being along a spectrum helps us to understand that it is something that can always be improved, and that affects all of us.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Olympic Athletes Excel at Their Sports but are Susceptible to Unproven Alternative Therapies
by Nicholas B. Tiller

https://theconversation.com/olympic-ath ... ies-165377

Introduction:
(The Conversation) Australian Olympic swimmer Kyle Chalmers earned a silver medal and his personal-best time in the 100-meter freestyle event at the 2021 Tokyo Games. While most of the world focused on his thrilling performance, others were equally interested in the conspicuous, circular bruises on his back and shoulders. Similar marks were seen on Michael Phelps in 2016 when he added six medals to his tally to cement his title as history’s most successful Olympian.

Those blemishes were the work of cupping, an alternative therapy in which small glass cups are placed on the skin at sites of injury or soreness, and used to create suction that stimulates “energy flow.” One form of cupping – wet cupping – involves piercing the skin to bleed the area and remove stagnant blood and toxins

As an exercise physiologist who studies critical thinking, I can’t help but wonder how an athlete’s unwitting endorsement of alternative therapy might influence the progression of a sport. This is because cupping is fairly characteristic of alternative therapy that, by definition, hasn’t been accepted by conventional science and medicine. When tested in controlled studies, cupping doesn’t work.

In fact, all alternative therapies exist on a spectrum, from treatments with some merit to scientifically disproven nonsense. And interventions like cupping, that masquerade as science without fulfilling its robust methodology, are known as pseudoscience.

Alternative therapies are rife in sport

When it comes to unproven alternative therapies, cupping is just the tip of the iceberg. Other such practices in sport include chiropractic spinal manipulation, nasal strips, hologram bracelets, oxygen drinks, reiki (healing hands), cryotherapy and kinesiology tape or K-tape.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Tokyo Games Close with a Flourish
by Ina Fried
August 8, 2021

https://www.axios.com/tokyo-olympics-cl ... 1dcc7.html

Introduction:
(Axios) Tokyo — More than a year after they were set to begin, and 17 days after their delayed start, the Tokyo Olympics drew to an end on Sunday with the closing ceremony here at Olympic Stadium.

Why it matters: Although COVID-19 delayed the Games and left an indelible mark, organizers hope the Games have left a legacy beyond the disease.

Sunday's ceremony began with the raising of the Japanese flag and a flag parade featuring a single flag bearer from each country, followed by the entrance of some additional athletes.
  • As with the opening ceremony and nearly all the events (with the exception of a few held outside Tokyo), there were no fans, with the stadium audience consisting only of athletes, officials, journalists, photographers and volunteers.
The big picture: The U.S. captured the most gold medals at the Tokyo Games, topping China on the final day thanks to victories in women's volleyball and basketball.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Are There Limits to Human Performance?
by Anna Funk
August 7, 2021

https://www.inverse.com/science/olympic ... 21-science

Extract:
(Inverse) If you’ve been watching the Tokyo Olympics, you might assume the answer (to the question posed by the title of this article) is a resounding no.

In both the men’s and women’s 400-meter hurdles in Tokyo this week, even the silver medalists (Americans Dalilah Muhammad and Rai Benjamin) broke world records. Meanwhile, first-place Norwegian Karsten Warholm demolished the record (which he himself set a month earlier) by an astonishing 0.75 seconds.

…With just a few days left of this year’s games, Olympians in Tokyo have racked up 24 new world records. In 2016, athletes in Rio broke 27. In 2012 in London, it was 32. Beijing in 2008 brought 34. Athens in 2004 had 31. Can we keep this up?

…Even sports that seem straightforward benefit from new tech. The ropes that divide lanes in swimming pools now have anti-wave technology, and the depth and temperature of the pool has been perfected for optimal athlete performance. Pole vault poles switched from steel to fiberglass in the 1960s.

…After swimmers in Beijing wearing a Speedo LZR Racer suit (designed by NASA to reduce drag) won 94% of all races, 98% of all medals, and broke 23 world records, the suit was banned from competition.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Olympic Hope Shines Through a COVID Surge
by Maya Mukherjee
August 5, 2021

https://www.motherjones.com/recharge/20 ... orruption/

Introduction:
(Mother Jones) Scrolling through my news feed this week, I saw a whole lot of grim headlines about COVID outbreaks, wildfires, and the federal eviction moratorium whose expiration, if not for a last-minute extension, would have been disastrous for already vulnerable tenants and deepened housing inequality. But there was a bright spot in the chaos for me: moments of solidarity and hope at the Olympics.

As an athlete heading into my junior year of high school, I’ve been watching the Olympics with a mix of relief and remorse: Simone Biles, undeniably gymnastics’ GOAT, pulled out of the finals and her teammate Jordan Chiles stepped up for her. What some viewers might not realize is that they’ve been best friends for years, with Biles acting as Chiles’ mentor. Three years ago, Chiles was close to pulling out entirely due to her fading passion for competition and the grind’s impact on her personal time and space. But Biles convinced her to leave an intense coach and train at Biles’ own gym, where coaches Cecile and Laurent Landi emphasize giving gymnasts rest to balance their strict workouts and lives outside the gym. Chiles quickly regained her love for it, and her comeback landed the team a silver medal. “I discovered that gymnastics doesn’t always have to be about strictness and being so hard on yourself and having so much doubt. I realized this when I saw Simone compete. She looks like she’s having fun out there…I was like, ‘You know, I’m going to try that one of these days and see how it turns out.’”

Intense competition also saw spirit-lifting friendship when two high jumpers agreed to share gold for the first time in history. After tying at 2.37 meters, instead of a jump-off, Gianmarco Tamberi and Mutaz Essa Barshim prized mutual respect. Solidifying their bond was the fact that they had survived similar injuries before the Olympics. “I respect all the high jumpers…but Mutaz passed through the same problem as me, and I know what it means to come back from that injury.”
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

A Win for Puerto Ricans Everywhere
by Angela Bonila
August 6, 2021

https://www.latinorebels.com/2021/08/06 ... verywhere/

Introduction:
(Latino Rebels) If there is one fact that can never be questioned (ever) about Olympic gold medalist Jasmine Camacho-Quinn, it’s this: her historic win this week in the 100-meters hurdles is a win for Puerto Ricans everywhere—especially for Puerto Ricans like me who were born in the mainland United States.

We can and always will represent our parents’ island with pride and love.

That is what Camacho-Quinn has done for all of us.

Seeing her happiness on screen and the celebration tweets was an emotional moment. So were the videos of Camacho-Quinn’s family in South Carolina rooting for her, knowing she decided to run for Puerto Rico for her mom. Representing our small country was an incredible thing to watch as a Boricua.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Tokyo Seeks Help Covering Huge Olympic Deficit
by Rihito Karube, Yuki Okado and Daisuke Maeda
August 11, 2021

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14415572

Introduction:
(The Ashahi Shimbum) The Tokyo metropolitan government is set to enter a grueling post-Olympic competition: pressing the central government to help cover the deficit-filled tab for hosting the Summer Games during a pandemic.

The novel coronavirus not only ballooned costs to hold the Olympics while reducing revenues, but it has also hammered the finances of the metropolitan government, which says it no longer has enough money to foot the entire Olympic bill.

The decision to ban spectators from the events to prevent the spread of infections resulted in a loss of most of the 90 billion yen ($813 million) or so in ticket revenues.

Extra expenses also had to be paid for COVID-19 infection-prevention measures at the Games, including the “bubble” to separate athletes and officials from the general public.

Sources within the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee estimate several tens of billions of yen in total losses.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Incredible that 2020/2021 wound up actually being the "Apocalympics" we thought 2016 was going to be.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Polish Olympian Auctions Off Medal to Pay for Baby's Heart Surgery
by Catherine Garcia
August 18, 2021

https://theweek.com/world/1003909/polis ... rt-surgery

Entire article (less photo of Maria Andrejczyk):
(The Week) She's only had her silver medal from the Tokyo Olympics for a few weeks, but Polish javelin thrower Maria Andrejczyk was prepared to part with it for a good cause.

Andrejczyk, 25, recently heard the story of Miłoszek Małysa, an 8-month-old from Poland in need of heart surgery. The baby's family needed money to cover the surgery and travel to the United States, and Andrejczyk, a bone cancer survivor, thought that if she auctioned off her medal, she could quickly get the amount necessary.

Żabka, a Polish convenience store chain, had the winning bid of $125,000, and Andrejczyk wrote on Facebook that her medal was "a symbol of struggle, faith, and pursuit of dreams despite many odds. I hope that for you it will be a symbol of the life we fought for together." In a surprise twist, the company tweeted on Monday that it was moved by Andrejczyk's "beautiful and extremely noble gesture," and they wanted the Olympian to keep her medal. Enough money has now been raised for Małysa to have his surgery,
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill