Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Varjo's Enthusiast Grade VR Headset is Getting a Brain-computer Interface
Varjo, maker of high-end XR headsets, and OpenBCI, a company creating open source brain-computer interface solutions, today announced a new partnership that’s bringing OpenBCI’s long-awaited neural interface ‘Galea‘ to Varjo’s latest Aero VR headset, something the companies say will provide “a deeper understanding to augment the human mind.”
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

R8Z wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:38 pm What games are you guys playing in VR?

I am currently mostly playing Onward on my Quest 2; quick game to jump in and have some fun. Here's the latest video highlighting the gameplay:

I just got my Meta Quest 2 2 days ago and am looking forward to it! I'll have to get Onward because it seems cool on Steam along with Pavlov. R8Z if you or anyone on here have any game recommendations on VR for Steam please put them on here and let's meet up digitally. I'm grateful for being able to make the first steps in this Web 3.0 future we are rapidly headed to for gaming! :D
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:36 pm Varjo's Enthusiast Grade VR Headset is Getting a Brain-computer Interface
Varjo, maker of high-end XR headsets, and OpenBCI, a company creating open source brain-computer interface solutions, today announced a new partnership that’s bringing OpenBCI’s long-awaited neural interface ‘Galea‘ to Varjo’s latest Aero VR headset, something the companies say will provide “a deeper understanding to augment the human mind.”
Oh man here we go! :o
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Working in VR is more stressful and lessens productivity. Big surprise
about 4 hours ago - 16 June 2022

Companies like Meta have been putting a lot of weight into the idea of a digital exodus. There's a lot of talk that working in distraction free, virtual environments(opens in new tab) could be the future. But as it stands today, researchers say, working in virtual reality is not only more overwhelming and frustrating, it doesn't rank as highly for usability or productivity as we might've been lead to believe.

The paper, 'Quantifying the Effects of Working in VR for One Week(opens in new tab)' (PDF warning) takes a deep dive into the viability of working long term in a virtual environment (via New Scientist(opens in new tab)). Participants, all of which were employees or researchers at a university, were asked to work in VR for an entire week.

The results were less than positive.

Participants were asked to work using Chrome Remote Desktop, which if my personal experience is anything to go by was likely half the usability problem. Jokes aside, the researchers opted for an Oculus (Meta) Quest 2(opens in new tab) VR headset, so participants could use the hand tracking with a physical keyboard—a Logitech K830 with integrated trackpad if you we're wondering, nothing fancy.

Part of the reasoning behind not using the absolute highest spec headset around, was to go for "a setup delivering a comparable experience to working in the physical desktop environment."
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/working-in-v ... -surprise/
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Apple's much-rumored VR/AR headset will be released in January 2023 and be a "game-changer" for the headset industry, according to prolific Apple insider Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a publicly-available blog on Medium Kuo stated Friday:

Apple is a game-changer for the headset industry.

Kuo says that Apple VR, which he expects to launch in January, is going to be a mixed reality headset capable of both full virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

If Apple was originally planning to use the M1 as the headset’s primary processor, it only makes sense for the company to swap it out for the most recent iteration of its in-house chip. Apple announced the new M2 chip at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) earlier this month, and says it offers an 18 percent faster CPU and 35 percent faster GPU when compared to the older M1 chip.

Rumors of the device’s standalone form factor have started to trickle out as well, and Gurman’s prediction that it will include 16GB of RAM could indicate a potentially more powerful level of performance than the all-in-one Meta Quest 2. Meta’s VR headset comes with 6GB of RAM and the Snapdragon XR2 Platform, so it’ll be interesting to see how Apple’s headset compares when it finally gets released.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Forget your bulky AR headsets, smart contact lenses are coming to place augmented reality displays right there on your eyeball. Last week, Mojo Vision CEO Drew Perkins volunteered to test the first feature-complete prototype of his company's design.

Smart wearables are all about super-portable convenience, and until scientists can plumb an AR display directly into your visual cortex, the smallest and most portable form factor we can imagine is that of a contact lens. Mojo Vision has been working on a smart contact lens design since 2015, and its latest prototype Mojo Lens packs in a pretty impressive amount of gear – especially for something that has to live behind your eyelid.

For starters, it has the world's smallest and highest-density display capable of showing dynamic content – a green monochrome MicroLED display measuring less than 0.5 mm (0.02 in) in diameter, with a resolution of 14,000 pixels per inch. It's got an ARM Core M0 processor, a 5-GHz radio capable of communicating at ultra-low latency, and enough accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers to track your eye movements with extreme precision, allowing the image to stay stable even as you move your eyes around.
The lens is worn with the bulk of the electronics positioned next to the nose, preserving the outer edges of your peripheral vision Mojo Vision
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »