Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

caltrek

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by caltrek »

Lab Training Virtual Reality: Biosafety Cabinet Edition

Introduction:
(CDC) Description

This course enables learners to apply knowledge and practice setting up a biosafety cabinet (also known as a biological safety cabinet, or BSC) in a virtual laboratory. Step into a virtual laboratory and learn how to work safely in the first-ever Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) virtual reality (VR) laboratory training course.

This course is developed for laboratory professionals and supplements the existing CDC eLearning course on the same topic.” to: “This course is developed for laboratory professionals and supplements the existing CDC eLearning course “Fundamentals of Working Safely in a Biological Safety Cabinet.

Objectives
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
• Identify the routes of transmission of infectious agents.
• Demonstrate how to don and doff the appropriate PPE for daily use at the bench
• Demonstrate how to don and doff PPE during an emergency.
Read more here: https://www.cdc.gov/labtraining/traini ... _BSC. html
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Variable focus thin lens designed for augmented and virtual reality headsets
https://phys.org/news/2022-09-variable- ... ented.html
by Optica
Researchers have developed a thin lens with a continuously tunable focal length. The new lens could one day make visual fatigue from augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR) devices a thing of the past.

"Many of the 3D displays used in today's AR/VR devices cause discomfort after long-term use due to the vergence-accommodation conflict," said research team leader Yan Li from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. "Our lens, which is known as an Alvarez lens, can be used to alleviate this problem. This could provide a more comfortable and more realistic 3D experience that would enable more widespread use of AR/VR headsets."

The researchers describe their new lens in Optics Express. It is made from two flat, or planar, liquid crystal elements that can be moved in relation to each other to continuously change the lens's focal length. To demonstrate the new Alvarez lens, they incorporated it into an AR display system that displayed virtual images on a real-world view at different depths.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

A deep learning-augmented smart mirror to enhance fitness training
https://techxplore.com/news/2022-09-dee ... irror.html
by Ingrid Fadelli , Tech Xplore
In recent years, engineers and computer scientists have created a wide range of technological tools that can enhance fitness training experiences, including smart watches, fitness trackers, sweat-resistant earphones or headphones, smart home gym equipment and smartphone applications. New state-of-the-art computational models, particularly deep learning algorithms, have the potential to improve these tools further, so that they can better meet the needs of individual users.

Researchers at University of Brescia in Italy have recently developed a computer vision system for a smart mirror that could improve the effectiveness of fitness training both in home and gym environments. This system, introduced in a paper published by the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, is based on a deep learning algorithm trained to recognize human gestures in video recordings.

"Our commercial partner ABHorizon invented the concept of a product that can guide and teach you during your personal fitness training," Bernardo Lanza, one of the researchers who carried out the study, told TechXplore. "This device can show you the best way to train based on your specific needs. To develop this device further, they asked us to investigate the viability of an integrated vision system for exercise evaluation."
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Here's a graph of VR headsets connected to Steam from June 2016 to August 2022. As you can see, it grew from 0.1 million then to over 3 million now, but the growth seems linear since about May 2020. It lists also devices like Oculus Quest 2 connected to PCs with Steam. I'm not impressed by these numbers, they are not exponential enough. I expected more by now. Where's Index 2? Where are more (good) AAA VR games?

And btw, I'm not buying into all of that mobile VR crap. Even tower desktop PCs aren't fast enough for VR in my opinion, let alone mobile devices.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

My opinion nowadays, divorced from the blind drunk hype of the mid-2010s, is that VR's heyday was meant to be in the mid to late 2020s.

Everything came together in the 2010s to revitalize the market and technology, but honestly even in retrospect, it was obvious that VR's primetime wasn't going to be for another decade. Everyone who said "it's too early" was right. Exponential growth will come in due time, when the right conditions are met. It's less "linear" growth and more "pre-knee of the curve" growth, which LOOKS linear.

The Quest 2 is great... compared to older VR headsets. But it still leaves much to be desired.

Once the Varjo XR3 can be had for under $500 while Quest 2-level headsets can be worn like glasses, then VR will be "here."

I believe the issue I had with those statements was that they were always predicated by the statement "VR is dead" or "VR is going to die again and then be reborn in a decade or two" as in "the totally dead state of VR between 1996-2012 will return." That was NEVER going to happen. Once the technology and marketing was there, there was zero chance of commercial VR returning to the sheer zombie doldrums it was stuck in for nearly two decades. But so many people who (correctly) pointed out that we needed another decade's worth of hardware and software development to realize the full promise of VR also smugly assumed that the industry was absolutely going to die off for a while rather than steadily grow.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Tadasuke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 pm Here's a graph of VR headsets connected to Steam from June 2016 to August 2022. As you can see, it grew from 0.1 million then to over 3 million now, but the growth seems linear since about May 2020. It lists also devices like Oculus Quest 2 connected to PCs with Steam. I'm not impressed by these numbers, they are not exponential enough. I expected more by now. Where's Index 2? Where are more (good) AAA VR games?

And btw, I'm not buying into all of that mobile VR crap. Even tower desktop PCs aren't fast enough for VR in my opinion, let alone mobile devices.
Its a start. The sad reality is that there are A LOT of underprivileged people here in the USA. Especially with current events ongoing in the USA. Those politicians aren't always doing political theatre on TV sadly.

This is presuming it is only USA based graph. I would guess worldwide no way in hell it would just be 3 million. Its still nice to see!
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:27 am This is presuming it is only USA based graph. I would guess worldwide no way in hell it would just be 3 million. Its still nice to see!
I'm not from the USA and this is a worldwide graph. VR is very, very niche at the moment. It does't count people who don't use their headsets (like almost all people with headsets that I know).

Let me be straightforward: I know 10 people with VR hardware and only 1 of them actually uses it on a weekly basis. Others just gather dust.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Tadasuke wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:05 pm
Nanotechandmorefuture wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:27 am This is presuming it is only USA based graph. I would guess worldwide no way in hell it would just be 3 million. Its still nice to see!
I'm not from the USA and this is a worldwide graph. VR is very, very niche at the moment. It does't count people who don't use their headsets (like almost all people with headsets that I know).

Let me be straightforward: I know 10 people with VR hardware and only 1 of them actually uses it on a weekly basis. Others just gather dust.
I'm sort of one of those whose headset is gathering dust. Main reason being it gives me a throbbing headache and pangs of inexplicable hunger if I use it for more than 1 hour.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »