Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Tadasuke

disappointment over slow VR evolution and propagation

Post by Tadasuke »

I wonder what some companies (like Valve) and some people (like Mark Zuckerberg) had thought. That VR will flourish, when new headsets are more expensive (Quest 2 was even upped in price!), new graphics cards are more expensive (GTX 1080 $600, RTX 4080 $1200) and there is hardly any good, more ambitious software? Smartphones exploded in popularity, because literally every quarter, there were new, better devices, lower prices, new features, etc. Compare that to the 3-year old Quest 2 (and 3-year old Snapdragon XR2) or the relatively new $1500 (!!) Quest Pro, which is only 50% (!) faster. Valve Index is from 2019 and still sells for the same price. Half-Life Alyx came out in 2020. In 2022 there were only 9.6 million VR headsets sold, as many as predicted (in 2015) for 2017. Some had predicted 100 million sold in 2022, literally 10x more than the actual number. I know only 1 person who actively uses VR every week (Pimax 5K) for something other than Beat Saber. And my personal opinion is, that the whole idea of trying to run VR on any hardware which is below PS5 level of specs and PSVR2 level of control is misguided, misjudged, ill-advised and off-track. My own impressions from Quest 2 and PSVR1 are negative. I wouldn't want them even for $99.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
ººº

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by ººº »

Could it be that current VR (and immersion) technology isn't advanced enough to justify its price?
Last edited by ººº on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Stacking LEDs instead of placing them side by side could enable fully immersive virtual reality displays
https://techxplore.com/news/2023-02-sta ... rsive.html
Take apart your laptop screen, and at its heart you'll find a plate patterned with pixels of red, green, and blue LEDs, arranged end to end like a meticulous Lite Brite display. When electrically powered, the LEDs together can produce every shade in the rainbow to generate full-color displays. Over the years, the size of individual pixels has shrunk, enabling many more of them to be packed into devices to produce sharper, higher-resolution digital displays.

But much like computer transistors, LEDs are reaching a limit to how small they can be while also performing effectively. This limit is especially noticeable in close-range displays such as augmented and virtual reality devices, where limited pixel density results in a "screen door effect" such that users perceive stripes in the space between pixels.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

This time something positive. PSVR2 will be released worldwide on February 22th. One of the launch games (here's a link to all announced launch games) is Gran Turismo 7, which will be much better in VR than Gran Turismo Sport. This ~7 minute video reviews how it plays, compared to GT Sport using PS4 and PSVR1. I do think that PSVR2 is a bit pricey, but at least it's much more advanced and you get everything in one package, no need to buy PS Move or Camera separately. 🙂 Townsmen VR from HandyGames reminds me of Black & White from Lionhead Studios, which is a concept that can work well in VR. I played Black & White in the early 2000s. Basically, you play god with ~medieval-level people.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

I imagine the issue is coding the dang metaverse. Its already troublesome coding regular things now imagine an error in a metaverse style massive code :lol:
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

peekpok

Post by peekpok »

I think I'm just about ready to buy my first VR headset. There are about 3 or so games that I would like to play in VR so it is finally time. However from the perspective of a non-enthusiast I will say that I feel very overwhelmed by the number of options and its not really clear to me what their strengths and weaknesses are. Does anyone know if there is a decently affordable headset that can run games standalone (Beatsaber, specifically) but also can connect to your PC for more high-end rendering?
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

peekpok wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:37 pm I think I'm just about ready to buy my first VR headset. There are about 3 or so games that I would like to play in VR so it is finally time. However from the perspective of a non-enthusiast I will say that I feel very overwhelmed by the number of options and its not really clear to me what their strengths and weaknesses are. Does anyone know if there is a decently affordable headset that can run games standalone (Beatsaber, specifically) but also can connect to your PC for more high-end rendering?
This might be helpful for you: Meta Quest 2 vs HTC Vive XR Elite vs Pico 4: What's the difference?

You specifically mention Beat Saber, which to my knowledge is Meta exclusive atm but is supported by PSVR and coming to PSVR2 later, if you wanted to go the console route instead of PC. While the Pico 4 appears to have the best resolution, it's lack of a library (no exclusives) and non-availability if you're in the United States are points going against it for a first-time adopter. BS is also on SteamVR, but the price point of the Vive may not exactly be within everyone's budget.

Something else to keep in mind is that the Quest 3 may very well release later this year, as well as whatever offerings Apple could bring to more mainstream enthusiast. So, depending on if you have the money to spend it may be worth waiting.

Edit: Just remembered Apple VR's hypothetical price range of 3K. Unless that turns out to be a literal Holodeck, I wouldn't worry about it. :lol:
Tadasuke

about PSVR2 and PSVR3

Post by Tadasuke »

Here's 21-minute Digital Foundry PSVR2 review:

Here's 14-minute Digital Foundry Gran Turismo 7 VR review:

I think that PSVR2 is a significant step forward in all areas compared to PSVR1 released on October 13th, 2016. It's better and simpler to use. Isn't cheap, but also isn't very expensive. The PS5 console as a whole is a significant step forward in all areas compared to PS4 as well. There's even eye tracking. Gran Turismo 7 in VR looks much better than GT Sport (2017 game from Polyphony Digital) in VR or Driveclub (2014 game from Evolution Studios) in VR. However, the are still limitations, as talked about in the video.

In my opinion, we can expect PS6 in Q4 2028 and PSVR3 in 2029 or 2030 (Q4 2030 most probable). Meanwhile, there may be a PS5 Pro (disc-based, $599) and a PS5 Slim (discless, $349) in Q4 2024. 2 TB SSD models may be out. PSVR2 may get a price cut in 3 years or so. I don't know how much faster can the PS6 be. I expected PS4 to be 100x faster than the PS3 (completely wrong) and PS5 to be 100x faster than the PS4 (completely wrong again). PS6 may be 4-5x faster than the PS5, 48 GB of RAM, 4 TB SSD and a probably a similar size. It will probably feature 3D cache. In 2030 games will be still supporting PS5, but by 2031 games will be coming out for PS6 and other next-gen consoles. PSVR3 may have 4x the PSVR2 resolution which is currently 2,000 × 2,040 pixels per eye (960 × 1,080 pixels per eye in PSVR1).