Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Apple’s VR headset will reportedly run hundreds of thousands of iPad apps
Published Mon, Apr 24 20239:05 AM EDTUpdated 2 Hours Ago
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/24/apple-v ... eport.html
Apple’s virtual reality headset will run with hundreds of thousands of iPad apps and take an all-encompassing approach to features, according to Bloomberg.

In a bid to entice both developers and consumers, Apple has included gaming, fitness and e-reader functionality for the virtual reality headset, Bloomberg reported. Customers will reportedly be able to watch sports in virtual reality and play “top-tier” games that work with Apple’s other devices.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Valve's new VR headset has been confirmed
The new and still-unconfirmed headset is apparently Valve's answer to Sony's PlayStation VR 2 and Meta's Quest 2.
Darryl Lara
https://www.xfire.com/valves-new-vr-hea ... confirmed/

April 20, 2023

The Virtual Reality headset market might not be in the best shape but Valve still insists on developing a newer headset to replace the Valve Index, which came out in 2019.
Valve's current headset is already four years old.
QUICKTAKE: View the short-form version of this news or swipe up to keep reading.

Valve’s VR headset has faced stiff competition from the likes of Oculus and HTC Vive in a struggling market. But, while it'd be easy to assume for Valve to give up on the VR industry after the success of the Steam Deck, this isn't the case. Valve has been quietly continuing its efforts in making a new VR headset. According to Greg Coomer, a product designer at Valve, the company is not giving up on the VR market.

In an interview with the Korean website, This is Game, Coomer states that Valve is developing a new VR headset. However, he cannot reveal the specifics of the upcoming VR device.
Tadasuke

about VR and FIVR

Post by Tadasuke »

I've become much more pessimistic about the advancement of virtual reality in recent years. For two whole decades I've been awaiting the day, when I can finally start living a life [in virtual reality] that I enjoy. Living this life feels somewhat of a nightmare to be honest. Not much enjoyment. Mostly sadness, anxiety, pain, disappointment and tiredness.

For two decades, I've been asking the question "Why do I have to live in this world?". Why was the choice of where we are born (and our DNA) made for us, without our agreement? Why do we need to accept this choice? It's cruel. And theoretically, virtual reality could be the answer. Not in the state it is in 2023, but eventually. That eventually we could erase the memories we don't want and start living a life that we had chosen. I've thought of it already in 2003 and I spoke about it with a friend then.

Looking at the progress of PCs, it had been clear to me, that it's gonna be possible one day (look how we went from GBC in 1998 to PSP in 2004). But the acceleration of computing has gone down, instead of up like some were predicting.

VR today basically means strapping a ~smartphone to your head, using it standalone or connecting to a console or a PC (and smartphones have been around since 2000). You still feel your real life body, you only control the movement of your head and hands, that's it.

If progress will be slow, in 30 years you will still be feeling your rapidly aging, aching, frail body with bad eyesight, while doing whatever in virtual reality. Resolution may be even 32K and refresh ray may be even 1000 Hz, but it's not gonna solve everything.

The situation is that there hasn't been a single graphics card faster than RX 480 for the $199 that RX 480 costed in 2016. CPUs had achieved 3 GHz back in 2002. 4 cores in 2006. Mainstream 6 cores in 2010. Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive were released in 2016. Valve Index in 2019.

Nanobots are science-fiction. I don't personally think that standalone VR is a step in the right direction. In my opinion, even high-end desktop PCs are slow, let alone some low-powered smartphone chips like the XR2.

However, what I also don't understand, is why are (some) people pushing for experiences that are too much like reality. You see, I've always wanted virtual reality to set different laws of physics, chemistry, everything. So that everything could function differently and look differently (better, nicer). Not to experience what other people could experience in real life. Some people apparently just want something akin to the real world, but with some additions.

Realism is overrated. But regardless, I keep my prediction about 2x computing speed (and possibly memory as well) on average every 4 years for the same price adjusted for inflation, for both CPUs and GPUs.

Eye tracking and face tracking will eventually become standard. 4K per eye or higher will eventually become standard as well. But we will still wear headsets and we will still feel our real bodies, even with tactile suits/gloves. Will certainly suck if your are in pain or not in a good physical condition. Still better than nothing or better than playing on Atari 2600.

However, I do think that PS2 or PS3 graphics often look nicer than graphics in some new games (because they've become too realistic). I never go back to Atari 2600, but I do play games on PCSX2 and RPCS3 (often in 1440p), as I feel like those too realistic graphics don't add anything positive to the experience.

AI hasn't progressed much. Physics didn't become much more advanced as well. Storylines aren't better than they were in the 2000s. For me, the cutout year is 2013, (especially western) games since 2013 have become too realistic for my liking. Of course, I still buy anime-styled or some selected other non-realism-styled modern games.

[EDIT] Sorry, I thought that taking less vertical space is good, so I was squeezing the text. Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps it's my OCD.
Last edited by Tadasuke on Mon May 22, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: about VR and FIVR

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 am I've become much more pessimistic about the advancement of virtual reality in recent years. For two whole decades I've been awaiting the day, when I can finally start living a life [in virtual reality] that I enjoy. Living this life feels somewhat of a nightmare to be honest. Not much enjoyment. Mostly sadness, anxiety, pain, disappointment and tiredness. For two decades, I've been asking the question "Why do I have to live in this world?". Why was the choice of where we are born (and our DNA) made for us, without our agreement? Why do we need to accept this choice? It's cruel. And theoretically, virtual reality could be the answer. Not in the state it is in 2023, but eventually. That eventually we could erase the memories we don't want and start living a life that we had chosen. I've thought of it already in 2003 and I spoke about it with a friend then. Looking at the progress of PCs, it had been clear to me, that it's gonna be possible one day (look how we went from GBC in 1998 to PSP in 2004). But the acceleration of computing has gone down, instead of up like some were predicting. And VR today basically means strapping a ~smartphone to your head, using it standalone or connecting to a console or a PC (and smartphones have been around since 2000). You still feel your real life body, you only control the movement of your head and hands, that's it. So if progress will be slow, in 30 years you will still be feeling your rapidly aging, aching, frail body with bad eyesight, while doing whatever in virtual reality. Resolution may be even 32K and refresh ray may be even 1000 Hz, but it's not gonna solve everything. The situation is that there hasn't been a single graphics card faster than RX 480 for the $199 that RX 480 costed in 2016. CPUs had achieved 3 GHz back in 2002. 4 cores in 2006. Mainstream 6 cores in 2010. Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive were released in 2016. Valve Index in 2019. Nanobots are science-fiction. I don't personally think that standalone VR is a step in the right direction. In my opinion, even high-end desktop PCs are slow, let alone some low-powered smartphone chips like the XR2. However, what I also don't understand, is why are (some) people pushing for experiences that are too much like reality. You see, I've always wanted virtual reality to set different laws of physics, chemistry, everything. So that everything could function differently and look differently (better, nicer). Not to experience what other people could experience in real life. Some people apparently just want something akin to the real world, but with some additions. Realism is overrated. But regardless, I keep my prediction about 2x computing speed (and possibly memory as well) on average every 4 years for the same price adjusted for inflation, for both CPUs and GPUs. Eye tracking and face tracking will eventually become standard. 4K per eye or higher will eventually become standard as well. But we will still wear headsets and we will still feel our real bodies, even with tactile suits/gloves. Will certainly suck if your are in pain or not in a good physical condition. Still better than nothing or better than playing on Atari 2600. However, I do think that PS2 or PS3 graphics often look nicer than graphics in some new games (because they've become too realistic). I never go back to Atari 2600, but I do play games on PCSX2 and RPCS3 (often in 1440p), as I feel like those too realistic graphics don't add anything positive to the experience. AI hasn't progressed much. Physics didn't become much more advanced as well. Storylines aren't better than they were in the 2000s. For me, the cutout year is 2013, (especially western) games since 2013 have become too realistic for my liking. Of course, I still buy anime-styled or some selected other non-realism-styled modern games.
Just a tip, but maybe use paragraphs, as I don't feel inclined to read a monolithic block of text.
Tadasuke

seeing virtual world when walking in the real world

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:10 am
Even if 'mixed-reality' tech like that is going to advance by leaps and bounds, there is still the issue, that just because someone likes seeing or hearing something, doesn't mean I want to see or hear that anywhere. It should be taken into consideration. So I think there is the 'is the tech advanced enough" issue and the 'desires, preferences and tastes' issue. Both are crucial.

In my opinion it would be nice, if eventually, everyone could choose their own reality and their own body. Even if it's all virtual, but feels real.

Alternatively, we could develop some ways to make everyone like this reality, so no one wants to escape. And one's favourite escape is another's totally undesirable horror. So we wouldn't all share one 'escape reality'.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Meta, BMW to Offer In-Car Virtual Reality for Passengers
The technology would allow a passenger to play games in the car or interact with the real world outside their window.
By Josh Norem May 18, 2023
https://www.extremetech.com/cars/meta-b ... passengers
If you've always thoughts riding in the backseat of a car wasn't interactive enough, Meta and BMW have teamed up to fix that problem. Meta's reality lab division is partnering with the German automaker to explore the possibilities of a virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) experience while riding as a passenger in one of its future cars. The two companies have released a video demonstrating their progress so far while also admitting this isn't something arriving anytime soon.

The short video states that both companies have been aspiring to bring virtual experiences to each other's audiences for some time now. BMW says it started experimenting with AR 10 years ago to create not just the ultimate driving machine but the ultimate driving experience. Meta says it began its plans for car VR in 2021 based on how much time we spend in cars these days. In joining together for this project, the companies created a pair of prototype glasses for in-car experiences it calls Project Aria. The glasses have a thick, all-black design, making them appear like a lighter version of the HTC Vive Elite XR.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Augmented reality laptop ditches screen for 100-inch virtual display
Ina Fried
Two former Magic Leap employees have teamed up to create Spacetop, a $2,000 laptop that ditches the traditional screen and instead uses its own augmented reality glasses to create a 100-inch virtual display.

Why it matters: Laptops have always been defined around the space constraints of the screen, with display size determining just how big the device needed to be.

How it works: The company is selling 1,000 of the devices as part of an early access program, with hopes of using the feedback to inform a broader launch.
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/18/augmen ... al-display
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

weatheriscool wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:35 pm Augmented reality laptop ditches screen for 100-inch virtual display
Ina Fried
Two former Magic Leap employees have teamed up to create Spacetop, a $2,000 laptop that ditches the traditional screen and instead uses its own augmented reality glasses to create a 100-inch virtual display.

Why it matters: Laptops have always been defined around the space constraints of the screen, with display size determining just how big the device needed to be.

How it works: The company is selling 1,000 of the devices as part of an early access program, with hopes of using the feedback to inform a broader launch.
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/18/augmen ... al-display
I'll take the ones that are put onto a screen. There are others that offer to beam it into your eye directly and with how many errors occur due to lack of regulation I'll pass on that.