Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

An odor machine, so-called olfactometer, makes it possible to smell in VR environments. First up is a “wine tasting game” where the user smells wine in a virtual wine cellar and gets points if the guess on aromas in each wine is correct. The new technology that can be printed on 3D printers has been developed in collaboration between Stockholm University and Malmö University.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Apple’s mixed reality headset is set to feature iris scanning biometrics features, enabling capabilities similar to the Face ID biometrics system found in modern iPhones and iPads. According to a report from The Information, ‘Iris ID’ would allow the user to authenticate payments without entering a password, and would enable seamless user switching.

Apple’s augmented reality and virtual reality capable device has been in the works inside the company for many years, and is finally expected to be unveiled to the public sometime in 2023.

By taking advantage of integrated iris biometrics sensors, the Apple headset would reportedly be able to detect who is wearing it by scanning their eyes as it is being put on, automatically logging into the correct user account.

The iris scanning technology will use the same cameras that will enable foveated rendering. This is a trick where the headset will continuously track where the user is looking, to optimize performance. Areas of the scene outside of the user’s focus will be dynamically rendered in lower resolution. This should not be noticeable to the human using the product though, as the area which they are directly looking at will be in sharp focus and highest-quality.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Tadasuke wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 pmI'm not impressed by these numbers, they are not exponential enough. I expected more by now. Where's Index 2? Where are more (good) AAA VR games?

And btw, I'm not buying into all of that mobile VR crap. Even tower desktop PCs aren't fast enough for VR in my opinion, let alone mobile devices.
I think that you may have answered your own question. I don't believe that VR/AR will ever truly take off until the technology is ready to make it mobile. No great mobile VR, no chance of it rapidly growing. Just the slow steady growth you see now until then.

Either that or we reach full dive VR like in SAO, which besides mobile is the only other way I see it really exploding in popularity.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

If VR was like SAO, our entire society would be changed. It would even be classified as an "epidemic" due to how many people would prefer perfect/exciting virtual worlds to our mundane one. I'm actually a little surprised series like Star Trek don't have people living in the Holodecks 24/7 as that basically is full dive VR or close to it.

I think "mobile" VR needs to be something seamless like glasses and not the current bulky HMDs we currently have, and we're slowly getting there. Right now, it's a balancing act of being "good enough" to fool you while somehow trying to be accessible to the masses.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

>
Sony PSVR2 (PS5 VR system) will launch on February 22nd for $550 and pre-orders will begin on November 15th - in 11 days, but I generally don't recommend pre-ordering stuff.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Apple’s AR glasses could be pushed back to 2025 or 2026 amid ‘design issues,’ says analyst
Apple Inc.’s rumored augmented-reality glasses may not appear until 2025 or 2026, according to Jeff Pu, an analyst at Haitong International Tech Research.

The tech giant’s augmented- and virtual-reality moves are being closely monitored, with Apple AAPL, -0.19% reportedly working on an AR/VR standalone headset and AR glasses for everyday wear.

In a note reported by PC Mag earlier this year, Pu said the glasses would be announced in late 2024. However, he now believes that they will debut later than that. “We now expect the AR Glass to be postponed to 2025-2026, due to design issues,” he said in an email to MarketWatch.

Apple has been teasing AR for a number of years, fueling talk about the company’s plans for glasses. Citing analyst Ming Chi-Kuo, MacRumors reported last year that Apple AR glasses could appear by 2025.

Now read: Apple CEO Tim Cook predicts AR will have ‘profound’ impact, downplays metaverse

In a recent interview with the Dutch media outlet Bright, Apple CEO Tim Cook described augmented reality as a “profound technology” that will affect everything. Apple is expected to announce its own AR/VR headset in the coming months, with the device likely available next year.

Good. The technology will inevitably be more advanced and less clunky the further out it is
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:24 am Good. The technology will inevitably be more advanced and less clunky the further out it is
I don't know what they would use for AR glasses. M2 is not fast enough and uses too much power and M3 is not ready yet, I also doubt it would be good enough. So they need to wait for newer process nodes like 1nm or so. No magic. Even Magic Leap doesn't have any magic in it. AR will require at least tens of teraflops to be honest. Something the performance of an Xbox One could never deliver satisfactory AR in glasses, because you need wide field of view and very high resolution. Foveated rendering shows itself to not be as useful as previously thought, according to John Carmack. Also latency is very important for a good experience. What I would be more interested in next year, is Valve Index 2, which could potentially happen. And also, I will probably try PSVR2 next year. PSVR1 felt very low-res.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

This is how I see it, it's a linear growth. Slowly, but growing. source

unnaturalmilk

Post by unnaturalmilk »

Is it bad that I am interested in VR, and want my future job/company (?) to be related to it, but I'm totally out of touch with the world of VR? Like, I read zero news articles, watch zero videos and I don't have any understanding of how VR functions... :( :(
For instance, I had no idea that Apple would be releasing their own VR headset (Pretty cool)