Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Tadasuke

a podcast episode about VR + my opinion on the current state of it

Post by Tadasuke »

If you had talked with me in 2005 or 2015, I would tell you that virtual reality means an actual virtual world in which you go into. Not some small, minor, cheap, sub-par, pixelated "experience" that you can't even feel or interact with much. :?

Virtual world ought to be a world and not some lousy, scroungy app for Quest 2 or something similar. What we are seeing today is nothing compared to true virtual reality that will probably be available one day (don't know when, maybe in 160 years?).

Btw, this is a talk posted on June 27th (mostly about VR) between Tom from Moore's Law is Dead and Sadly It's Bradley with whom he once talked before already:

Spotify link:
SoundCloud link:
Stitcher link: https://listen.stitcher.com/yvap/?af_dp ... /304797565
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Meta Announces Quest 3 With New Controllers, More Power
Meta's new gaming-focused headset is available this month starting at $499.99.
By Ryan Whitwam September 28, 2023
Just a year ago, Meta pitched the Quest Pro as a critical part of its metaverse strategy. Now, it has unveiled the Quest 3 while pretending 2022 didn't happen. The new Meta virtual reality headset is aimed at gaming, with better displays, a faster processor, and redesigned controllers. It's also retailing for a third of the Quest Pro's launch price at $499.99.

Meta teased the Quest 3 early in the summer, hoping to contrast its approach with Apple's. The latter announced the Vision Pro in June with an eye-watering $3,500 price tag. It might not have all the advanced features of Apple's headsets, but the Quest 3 is still a substantial upgrade for Quest 2 owners. The device runs on Qualcomm's latest XR2 Gen 2 chip, which has double the graphics performance of Quest 2. It works with all the existing Quest games, but some new titles are on the way that will require its more capable hardware.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/meta ... more-power

raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Lightweight AR glasses float a big screen in front of your eyes
By Paul Ridden
October 24, 2023
Augmented-reality wearable producer nReal has rebranded to Xreal and launched two pairs of AR glasses designed to virtually float a huge screen in front of your eyes. The Air 2 and Air 2 Pro models are up for pre-order now.

The company was set up in 2017 by former employees at Magic Leap, Google and AMD, and released its first AR glasses in 2019. The new models are destined to replace last year's Air glasses, which Xreal says are the best-selling consumer AR glasses on the market.

With this iteration, the company has focused on making the wearables more comfortable for the 50-60% of its user base that "spend between one and three hours" watching content through the AR glasses, "while maintaining superior display and fidelity."
https://newatlas.com/wearables/xreal-air-2-ar-glasses/
Tadasuke

my new comment on VR and AR

Post by Tadasuke »

I am definitely biased, because I've been pretty much taken over by the awesome idea of escaping this awful prison called 'reality' since my first year of primary school. However, I don't think we are progressing on that front very quickly at the moment, so I'm not holding my breath.

Very good and advanced VR or AR would need:
▪ much, much better performance per watt per dollar
▪ lots of small and cheap petabytes of storage
▪ lots of small and cheap terabytes of memory
▪ extremely good batteries in the case there is no external source of electricity
▪ AI that is super-convincing and very, very helpful
▪ ways to manipulate in the VR or AR space comfortably, easily and accurately just like we want
▪ overall miniaturization of nearly everything

We are not making huge progress in those areas in recent years. So it's not likely, that VR or AR will get very popular or very good in the next 15-20 years. But they may become quite good by the end of this century. I don't think that "Meta" is going to succeed like they may envision. For now, they succeeded in making hundreds of millions of peoples mental health worse. I certainly don't like or enjoy looking at how others [on Facebook] are doing, I just want to escape or at least live my life without interference.

I plan on being cautiously and moderately optimistic, but things at the moment aren't great. I'm not investing a single cent in the VR/AR space for now. I currently prefer to play older games (with perhaps a few exceptions), which I didn't manage to play or finish in the past for whatever reason. It's cheaper, easier and faster that way. Friends who bought VR, only use it for VRChat, or it just sits in a drawer.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: my new comment on VR and AR

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:02 am I am definitely biased, because I've been pretty much taken over by the awesome idea of escaping this awful prison called 'reality' since my first year of primary school. However, I don't think we are progressing on that front very quickly at the moment, so I'm not holding my breath.

Very good and advanced VR or AR would need:
▪ much, much better performance per watt per dollar
▪ lots of small and cheap petabytes of storage
▪ lots of small and cheap terabytes of memory
▪ extremely good batteries in the case there is no external source of electricity
▪ AI that is super-convincing and very, very helpful
▪ ways to manipulate in the VR or AR space comfortably, easily and accurately just like we want
▪ overall miniaturization of nearly everything

We are not making huge progress in those areas in recent years. So it's not likely, that VR or AR will get very popular or very good in the next 15-20 years. But they may become quite good by the end of this century. I don't think that "Meta" is going to succeed like they may envision. For now, they succeeded in making hundreds of millions of peoples mental health worse. I certainly don't like or enjoy looking at how others [on Facebook] are doing, I just want to escape or at least live my life without interference.

I plan on being cautiously and moderately optimistic, but things at the moment aren't great. I'm not investing a single cent in the VR/AR space for now. I currently prefer to play older games (with perhaps a few exceptions), which I didn't manage to play or finish in the past for whatever reason. It's cheaper, easier and faster that way. Friends who bought VR, only use it for VRChat, or it just sits in a drawer.

Maybe you need to think exponentially. ;)

8K VR will be fairly common by 2030. And 16K by ~2042.

Tadasuke

quoting wjfox about VR

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:30 am 8K VR will be fairly common by 2030. And 16K by ~2042.
I guess 8K VR will be using something like Nvidia DLSS 3.5 to interpolate frames (i.e. from 45 to 240 fps) and upscale resolution (from 1440p to 8K) also helped by eye-tracking and foveated rendering, because rendering fully native 8K in 240 frames per second would require at least hundreds of teraflops and at least 80 GB of really fast VRAM, which would be expensive and power-hungry in a 2030 desktop PC and probably out of question in a standalone headset (at least before 2040), similar to Quest. For now, I'm rather impatiently waiting for GTX 1080 + i9-9900K performance + 16 GB RAM [150GB/s] in a fully mobile untethered headset with acceptable battery life, perhaps coming in Quest 5 in 2029 for $549 (?).
Tadasuke

VR photography

Post by Tadasuke »

There is this relatively new field of VR photography. I've been following this particular VR photographer for many months, Neomance has a very large number of VR photographs (credits to Neomance and creator(s) of a particular VR space). This field will likely only grow with time. link to Neomance's VR photographs on Twitter/X

I have a personal policy to never have more than 200 followed accounts on Twitter/X, so I don't follow any more VR photographers. Out of pragmatic reasons. No way to follow more than 200 accounts/people, without some serious brain augmentation (not coming anytime soon). Similarly, no more than 200 "friends" on Facebook.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »