Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Tadasuke

Re: Virtual/Augmented/Mixed Reality News & Discussions

Post by Tadasuke »

raklian wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:48 pm I'm sort of one of those whose headset is gathering dust. Main reason being it gives me a throbbing headache and pangs of inexplicable hunger if I use it for more than 1 hour.
That's why I think that for the rest of the 2020s, we will be playing games on normal screens, just that 120-240 Hz, QHD, 4K and 5K displays will get more popular. To play Cyberpunk 2077 on Ultra without DLSS in 4K 60fps (not even 120), you need at least RTX 4090. No other card will be sufficient. And DLSS seriously deteriorates image quality, so it's definitely not worth it (Digital Foundry says otherwise, because they get money from Nvidia). But the 4090 will at least allow you to move from 30 to 60 fps on Ultra on from 60 to 120 on High. I'm not planning to buy VR anytime soon.

And about PS VR2: PS5 is a budget gaming computer. My current PC has both a faster CPU and a faster GPU and I'm not impressed with both of them. So how could a weaker PS5 be impressive?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

With hardware prices like that, PC VR is not going to flourish unfortunately. Nvidia's CEO said that prices won't be trending down like in the past. Seems like virtual reality is a distant thing for me and for most people. Will keep playing some normal PC games. My mid-range GPU costed what high-ends used to cost and it is for 1440p. Imagine running 8K per eye 240Hz VR. That would kill even the RTX 4090, let alone any more affordable card. We need some kind of a revolution in hardware.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And I repeat, VR's time will be the 2026-2032 time frame.

When you can get a 4090 for under $500 and something even half as good as the Varjo XR-3 can be had for the same price, I can see VR breaking into the sub-mainstream, right around the same time as the commercialization of the first generation of telepathic communication technology (e.g. Kernel Flow and Flux) which would greatly streamline controls.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

If computer progress between 2016 and 2026 was like between 1996 and 2006, then I would agree that by 2026 we would have sufficient hardware for VR. But it's not. Since 2016, we have 3x faster CPUs for the same price and only 1.5x faster GPUs for the same price (at $300). I expect another 2x by 2026, so 6x faster CPUs and 3x faster GPUs for the same price (at $300 each). And I'm not buying into Nvidia's marketing. RTX 4090 won't be enough. Either we will see some kind of a new paradigm or VR will continue to suck. And I'm also not buying into Meta's marketing about mobile VR or AR. I see how today's expensive CPUs and cards struggle, so how could much, much weaker devices possibly be good enough? Ryzen 5700X isn't even enough to emulate all PS3 games in 60 fps. You need 7700X for that. And for 240 fps you would need something about 4x faster. So no, I'm not currently expecting VR to be huge in the near future.

I think there are 3 possibilities:
1. there will be a complete stagnation and technical limitations will prohibit us from doing anything much more impressive than today
2. there will progress, but a relatively slow one, for example 30% every 2 years, allowing us to gradually step up the game (likely)
3. there will be some kind of a revolution, a new paradigm that will move us 1000x further in one year (Kartik Gada suggests that)
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

10 years ago I fully expected 20 petaflops GPUs in 2022 to cost $500. Turns out you can't even get 20 teraflops for that much. Even in 10 years, 20 petaflops will be unavailable for normal consumers. Perhaps in 20 years. So I'm not holding my breath for VR in the near future. Which is sad, because I've had huge amounts of hope for it. RTX 4090 is BIG, uses up to 660 watts and doesn't even have 100 teraflops. I'm not impressed.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

A Northeastern University staff member was injured Tuesday when a package he was opening detonated on the Boston campus, officials said,

“The staff member sustained minor injuries and is being treated,” Shannon Nargi, a spokesperson for Northeastern University, told CNN in an email. The package was delivered to Holmes Hall, Nargi said.

The staffer, a 45-year-old man, suffered hand injuries, Boston Police Superintendent Felipe Colon said during a news conference Tuesday night.

Investigators haven’t said how the package arrived at the campus and stressed the investigation is ongoing.

During the news conference, officials said they were investigating a motive.

Several federal law enforcement sources told CNN the package contained a rambling note that criticized Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and the relationship between academic institutions and the developers of virtual reality. CNN has reached out to Facebook for comment.

The note was in a hard plastic container and detonated when the victim opened the latches and lifted the lid, the sources said.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:49 am I can see VR breaking into the sub-mainstream, right around the same time as the commercialization of the first generation of telepathic communication technology (e.g. Kernel Flow and Flux) which would greatly streamline controls.
I'm glad it is being seriously considered when you speak about telepathic communication technology. What do people think Neuralink and other brain chips or similar devices will allow you to do when they truly become high tech not just for only controlling your phone? I guess if someone wants something easy they could always try the brain cloud interface which is another BCI but more softer in how it is enacted since it incorporates nanotech in the brain allowing you seamless communication at high levels with electronics to include your phone. I think the nanotech brain one is old by so the Neuralink stuff should be interesting to see when most people adopt it.

And yeah the telepathic communications, Neuralink style devices, and other tech will be steps closer to Full Immersion VR. VR by it self now is amazing so its gonna be one hell of an experience when it gets to 1st gen FIVR.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Magic Leap's second take on augmented reality eyewear is available. The company has started selling Magic Leap 2 in 19 countries, including the US, UK and EU nations. The glasses are still aimed at developers and pros, but they include a number of design upgrades that make them considerably more practical — and point to where AR might be headed.

The design is 50 percent smaller and 20 percent lighter than the original. It should be more comfortable to wear over long periods, then. Magic Leap also promises better visibility for AR in bright light (think a well-lit office) thanks to "dynamic dimming" that makes virtual content appear more solid. Lens optics supposedly deliver higher quality imagery with easier-to-read text, and the company touts a wider field of view (70 degrees diagonal) than comparable wearables.

You can expect decent power that includes a quad-core AMD Zen 2-based processor in the "compute pack," a 12.6MP camera (plus a host of cameras for depth, eye tracking and field-of-view) and 60FPS hand tracking for gestures. You'll only get 3.5 hours of non-stop use, but the 256GB of storage (the most in any dedicated AR device, Magic Leap claims) provides room for more sophisticated apps.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Speaking at Università Degli Studi di Napoli Federico II in Naples, Italy, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that not too long from today, people will wonder how they led a life without augmented reality, stressing the "profound" impact it will have on the not so distant future.
And I agree. I can already imagine applications that would be addictive right now, long before we reach the true saturation point for AR that will inevitably result in a massive flourishing of capability. It might take a decade to realize, but realize we will the promise of augmented/mixed reality.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »