Home Automation News and Discussions

R8Z

Home Automation News and Discussions

Post by R8Z »

Thread dedicated to discuss home automation items available to the public or in development, including but not limited to: smart appliances, smart lights, home assistants and robots.
And, as always, bye bye.
R8Z

Re: Home Automation News and Discussions

Post by R8Z »

Just some context: I've created this thread as in a few months I plan to install a home automation kit I've recently purchased. Looking forward to generate discussions about new gadgets or appliances that could be added. One great part from that kit is that it has a IR transmitter, meaning that it can control old devices that I have (thinking about my TV and AC). As these two devices aren't smart, they can't give feedback or updates, but that's fine for now.

One thing I was not able to find was a simple kit/motor to install to open and close curtains. Not sure if this is something that is already available to the public.
And, as always, bye bye.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

On the search for home automation voice AIs I've settled with the Google one ("hey/ok google") and recently purchased a Google Nest Mini 2nd gen. According to my research it works slightly better than its direct adversary (Alexa) in my country and use case, which is to automate my home and heavy media usage from the assistants.

After a week of usage I can already say that the assistant AI feels very polished when you're tracing the "happy path" or the expected path it wants you to follow/say. It almost never understands words wrong, even if you mumble them or laugh/gasps when you say them. Once you diverge from the expected phrases you start to get the classic "sorry, I didn't get that" and no progress/actions are made. In fact, it feels like it's not much of an AI but more of an IF/ELSE software so far, seriously. It doesn't feel like there's been much progress in this area since it's inception (I've been using it on and off from the cellphone interface from quite a while). I am hoping advances in AI will improve in this area.

On top of that, the continuous conversation mode, in which the AI doesn't turn off the microphone after an action and continuous listening, only works in English -- which is a shame as I'd prefer to talk to the AI in my mother tongue; also the english version is much more fluid and normal-sounding (less robot sounding) than its counter-part in other languages (as expected, I suppose).

At the moment as my home automation kit still hasn't arrived I've being using it only to turn on/off or adjust my air conditioners and to play music and/or video to chrome cast, set alarms or get news/info from the AI. Next should be the lights and smart power-outlets.

The greatest routine I've defined so far includes saying via Android Auto that I am coming home. This turns on ALL my air conditioners at home, sets the destination in GMaps to home, and starts playing music in the car. Once I am home I say "I've arrived" to the nest mini and it adjusts the AC back to low, greets me for "arriving safely" and starts playing music.
And, as always, bye bye.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

Smart automated garden
https://eu.clickandgrow.com/

With Click & Grow indoor gardens you'll get:

- Perfectly calibrated automated watering, light and nutrients
- Homegrown, organic, pesticide free fresh food and flowers
- App to make you a true plant expert
- More than 75 + different plant varieties to choose from or just use your own seeds!
---

Hmm, interesting but on the expensive side. I'd prefer to have a smart watering system only that was 10x cheaper (looking to build my own in the future).
And, as always, bye bye.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Nest 2020 thermostats receive Matter update, which adds Apple Home compatibility
Google is still looking into support for the Nest models people actually own.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04 ... atibility/
Kevin Purdy - 4/18/2023, 12:33 PM

A major piece of the smart home market now supports the Matter standard. The 2020 Nest Thermostat is the first smart thermostat to join in the slow-going wave and, in doing so, now works in an Apple Home system without additional bridges or hubs.

Take note that only the 2020 redesign of the Nest Thermostat will be updated with Matter support, starting today and rolling out "over the next few weeks," according to a Google Nest Community post. Google has said it is investigating Matter support for the more common Nest (3rd generation) Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E (now mainly available in Europe). Let's hope it does, because the Learning Thermostat has the broadest compatibility across HVAC systems and is the one we see installed in most homes, at about a 100-to-zero rate versus the 2020 version.

If you have a newer Nest, your device will quietly absorb an over-the-air update at some point today or in the next few weeks. After that, you can control your Nest from multiple Matter-compliant systems. Nest already worked with Amazon's Alexa, Samsung's SmartThings, and, of course, Google's Home platform. But with Matter support, you can set it up to interact with other Matter-enabled devices, such as non-Nest temperature sensors or motion detectors.

The big addition is Apple compatibility through Home's own Matter readiness. With the update installed, the Nest Thermostat itself can generate a Matter pairing code inside new settings on the device. That should allow you to add the device to a Home network and control it from an Apple device without using another device as a go-between. I use Home Assistant to connect all my smart home gear to my iPhone, but I don't think that is, per se, the easy way; I had to sign up for a Google developer account and create a fake app to get API access.