CES 2023

wjfox
Site Admin

CES 2023

Post by wjfox »

CES is perhaps the world's most influential tech event. Primarily focused on consumer tech, smart homes, entertainment and leisure, etc. but some overlap with other areas too.

This year it runs from Thursday 5th to Sunday 8th January 2023.

Let's use this thread for news, discussions, and highlights!

ººº

Re: CES 2023

Post by ººº »

^^^

Legacy forum:
CES 2013
CES 2014 (No one created a thread)
CES 2015
CES 2016
CES 2017
CES 2018
CES 2019
CES 2020
CES 2021 (Unarchived online) (?)

Current forum:
CES 2022
CES 2023You are here!
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

I remember when I used to get excited for these shows. Back when smart speakers were new~ish, video doorbells first started appearing, smart lights were new~ish, smart locks were hella new, and security cameras were becoming accessible. Now? It's grown boring, because it's usually...more doorbells, lights, locks, and security cameras. They stopped introducing new things, and the smart home is largely a mature market that's just making minor improvements upon those specific design categories. The most interesting thing to me in CES 2022 was Masonite's "M-Pwr" smart door - and that's literally just taking a video doorbell, smart lock, and smart lights and putting them together in the door!

I know, it's not fair expecting some amazing new product category every couple years or so. There's only so many gadgets and appliances that makes sense to make "smart." Thermostats were big, cameras in everything, automating lights, etc. We've kind of covered about everything now, and making a smart microwave or toaster is...largely pointless (and someone even made the smart toaster! The verdict? Not worth the extra expense). It reminds me of the thread about asking whether you be in a rapidly evolving technological era that's not quite fully advanced yet, or a static but completely advanced society. Static is boring - flip side is the tech is better.

Even though they're somewhat dumb ideas - Astro is a mostly useless toy, just Alexa on wheels, and while the poorly named Always Home Cam is hella cool (autonomous home security drone!) it is (rightly!!!) causing privacy advocates fits because of Amazon's richly deserved poor privacy history - I've been more excited over Apple's/Google's/Amazon's own shows just for the hope they'll announce some moonshot longshot actually "new" thing.

I suppose we're at the technological stage where until humanoid or otherwise robotic servants/slaves are a feasible mass producible thing, the best we can hope for are just camera and speaker improvements, and more companies making doorbells, locks, bulbs, and thermostats.

Moving away from the smart home portion of CES, my main wish, although not likely to come true this year, is in the television side of things. I'd like to see a qd-oled tv in the 35-inch category for under $1000. I know, not gonna happen, but it's what I would like to see. Samsung came out with one last year at the 55-inch size, but it's over $2K so way out of my tv budget.
What I really want to see is microled or maybe qd microled tvs at normal sizes (I think all microled tvs now are in the "gargantuan wall sized" category), but that's still many years off - maybe by 2033's CES.

I'm also interested to see if anything cool comes out in the VR/AR side of things. It's still kind of early days for VR imo, not a mature market/tech yet, so it still has a bit of that "anything can happen" magic to it. But I don't really know enough to have any specific expectations or wishes though.
ººº

Post by ººº »

^ I think Ameca did deliver
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

ººº wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:23 pm ^ I think Ameca did deliver
My memory could be wrong, but even though Ameca was at CES 2022 hadn't it already been unveiled before that? I distinctly remember freaking out over Ameca's "waking up" introduction video back in like October or November I think? Definitely feel like it was before CES by a month or so.
ººº

Post by ººº »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 pm
My memory could be wrong, but even though Ameca was at CES 2022 hadn't it already been unveiled before that? I distinctly remember freaking out over Ameca's "waking up" introduction video back in like October or November I think? Definitely feel like it was before CES by a month or so.
Correct:
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

ººº wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 pm
Correct:
To be fair, it could be fair to count 2022 CES as more of the official introduction, since I think that's when we actually learned more about it's capabilities/specs and it's limitations (no AI [but could one day be a platform for an ai], basically an animatronic puppet, but incredibly high end). But personally I have trouble counting anything we got to see earlier than CES as part of CES (not counting leaks ofc).

Ameca, and that video of the one robot arm, have been the most interesting robots I've seen outside of Boston Dynamic's in well over a decade.
Point of clarity, Sophia (and robots like her) doesn't impress me - her robotics themselves aren't impressive, she can move her mouth and blink, so could my Teddy Ruxpin; and I've seen better humanoid skin/faces on sex dolls as a kid wathing Real Sex on HBO without my parents knowing back in the very early 00's. The only thing imo of note about those robots is the AI, which I think is gpt-3. All those robots really accomplished was to highlight the AI within, and to prove that the Uncanny Valley is very, very real. I don't understand the desire to make robots look exactly like us, especially when the current tech leaves them looking so unnerving. Sophia literally looks like what I expect a killer robot to look like in a horror movie.

Sorry, that last bit is mostly tangent. Truth, if you put Ameca's torso on one of BD's parkour robot's legs, and gave it chat-gpt or gpt-4's ai and showed that off at CES, it'd be the most memorable event of this decade.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

CES 2023: Displace Unveils World’s First Truly Wireless TV 

By Robert Silva
Published 5 days ago

CES in Las Vegas not only includes the latest and greatest TVs from the likes of Samsung, Sony, LG, and other established brands, but it provides a showcase for new companies that can think of out-of-the-box.

Displace, an in-home entertainment startup will debut the world’s first truly wireless TV at CES 2023 next week.

Unlike any other TVs currently available, the Displace 55-inch OLED 4K UHD TVs are powered by a proprietary hot-swappable battery system, weigh less than 20 lbs, can be transported easily, secured to any surface with an extra wall mount required, and use Displace TV’s proprietary active-loop vacuum technology. 

Tip: It is being reported that the OLED panels are made by the LG Display Company for Displace. 

Displace TVs solve many of the common problems associated with large screen flat panel TVs, which can be unwieldy, tedious to mount to walls and cause damage, cluttered with wires, and utilize push button remote controls.

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/disp ... reless-tv/

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 am Displace TVs solve many of the common problems associated with large screen flat panel TVs, which can be unwieldy, tedious to mount to walls and cause damage, cluttered with wires, and utilize push button remote controls.
I actually prefer push button remotes over touchscreens, the tactile sense is nice to have.
ººº

Post by ººº »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 pm
wjfox wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 am Displace TVs solve many of the common problems associated with large screen flat panel TVs, which can be unwieldy, tedious to mount to walls and cause damage, cluttered with wires, and utilize push button remote controls.
I actually prefer push button remotes over touchscreens, the tactile sense is nice to have.
Give us both.