CES 2023

Vakanai

Re: CES 2023

Post by Vakanai »

ººº wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 pm
wjfox wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:08 am Displace TVs solve many of the common problems associated with large screen flat panel TVs, which can be unwieldy, tedious to mount to walls and cause damage, cluttered with wires, and utilize push button remote controls.
I actually prefer push button remotes over touchscreens, the tactile sense is nice to have.
Give us both.
In a sci-fi game I used to play regularly, you're given a sort of smartphone/pokedex like device, and one of it's stated features is a sort of responsive haptic inlay in the screen, allowing it to morph the screen for your touch - basically giving you push buttons in the touch screen whenever it senses your approaching fingertips. I don't think we're anywhere close to this just yet, but I definitely see this as the inevitable future of touch screens one day. Would definitely love to see that at CES.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 pm

I actually prefer push button remotes over touchscreens, the tactile sense is nice to have.
Give us both.
In a sci-fi game I used to play regularly, you're given a sort of smartphone/pokedex like device, and one of it's stated features is a sort of responsive haptic inlay in the screen, allowing it to morph the screen for your touch - basically giving you push buttons in the touch screen whenever it senses your approaching fingertips. I don't think we're anywhere close to this just yet, but I definitely see this as the inevitable future of touch screens one day. Would definitely love to see that at CES.

This is from 10 years ago.

But it didn't seem to take off:

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:26 am
Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 pm
Give us both.

This is from 10 years ago.

But it didn't seem to take off:

And I stand corrected - we could have this futuristic technology today and yet for some reason we don't. What the hell? I would love to have this feature in my phone and tablet! Apple Samsung somebody partner with this company or buy it one already!
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Watch 3D Images Leap Out of this Asus Laptop Screen

https://www.cnet.com/videos/asus-ces-la ... -microbes/
The first Avatar film kicked off a wave of interest in 3D televisions and screens after it came out in 2009. That trend ultimately died off.

That is, until CES 2023, where the tech industry is making another push -- coincidentally as Avatar's sequel, Avatar: The Way of the Water, is topping the box office.

"The 3D is generated via a layer of lenticular lenses bonded to it -- to refract the emitted light to different eyes -- and Acer combines it with eye tracking to figure out how to orient the object," writes CNET's Lori Grunin.

The company will likely increase the price of Asus's Vivobook Pro 16X OLED by about $500 when it arrives late this year.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nvidia’s latest AI tech can upscale old blurry YouTube videos

Jan 4, 2023, 12:29 PM GMT

Nvidia has turned its AI upscaling technology on a new target: blurry web video. Announced this week during its CES 2023 presentation, RTX Video Super Resolution is designed to upscale video watched through the Chrome or Edge browsers on a PC to the equivalent of 4K. The catch is that you’ll need a relatively modern Nvidia GPU to benefit from the feature, with only its most recent 30 and 40-series GPUs listed as getting support when it releases next month.

In practice, a video demonstration of the tech at work on Apex Legends footage shows edges being sharpened, and video artifacts reduced. Nvidia’s demo shows RTX Video Super Resolution at work on a YouTube video, but its blog post notes that should work on “any video watched in a browser,” which should cover other streaming services like Netflix. PCGamer reports that it supports any video with a resolution of between 360p and 1440p (including typical 1080p video), up to a frame rate of 144Hz.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/4/23538 ... s-4k-1080p

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

CES' Best Kitchen Tech: A Fridge Fit for a Party, Smart Cutting Boards and AI Ovens

CES 2023 showcased the best tech to make your time in the kitchen smoother, less stressful and, in one case, more of a party.

Jan. 7, 2023 8:45 p.m. PT

https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-and-h ... g-fridges/

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 am CES' Best Kitchen Tech: A Fridge Fit for a Party, Smart Cutting Boards and AI Ovens

CES 2023 showcased the best tech to make your time in the kitchen smoother, less stressful and, in one case, more of a party.

Jan. 7, 2023 8:45 p.m. PT

https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-and-h ... g-fridges/

I'm not sure how good of an idea this one is to be honest. The only thing that makes it smart is that there's a detachable tablet that comes with it - and while having a screen in the kitchen is a good idea to look up recipes or watch cooking videos, you can get the same with several Amazon and Google devices (does Apple have a smart home display?). The reason I don't think this device is a good idea is because some people aren't going to think to detach the tablet first, so food is going to get on the screen, never mind the risk of someone accidentally cutting it with a knife. Seems like one of those products that's more about "because we can" than because it's useful.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

This Futuristic Toilet Sensor Reads Your Pee to Measure Health
Best of CES: Tracking your health is getting more intimate in 2023, thanks to this smart toilet sensor.

CNET
Smart watches and wearables like the Apple Watch and Oura's Ring series offer plenty of ways to keep tabs on your health. And now, there's a new way to track important health metrics in the works. Imagine getting health data by carrying out a bodily function you do multiple times a day: urinating. Soon you'll be able to do just that with Withings' U-Scan, a sensor that attaches to your toilet bowl and analyzes your urine each day you use it. Withings unveiled the censor this week during CES 2023, the world's largest consumer tech trade show.

Anyone who's ever offered up a urine sample at a doctor's office knows that urine can tell us important things about our health: if we're dehydrated, if we're pregnant, if we have an infection and even the health of some of our organs. Withings is homing in on some of these biomarkers with two different versions of its consumer device, available in Europe in the first half of 2023, with plans for US availability following clearance by the US Food and Drug Administration.

One cartridge made for the U-Scan is meant to monitor nutrition and metabolic information by measuring ketone and vitamin C levels and testing your urine's pH (low or high pH can be associated with kidney health and more).

The second is made for people who want to better track their menstrual cycles, by measuring surges of LH, or luteinizing hormone. LH peaks when ovulation is right around the corner and fertility is likely highest. This cycle cartridge will also measure urine pH.

This reminds me of something I saw speculated on a long time ago, I believe it was Dr. Michio Kaku's Visions of the Future documentary, which went into how we might one day utilize health biometrics and A.I. to measure how healthy we were in almost this exact same fashion. Medicine and general health should become a bit more personalized, so we can make better use of the data from it to make more informed health related decisions.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The worst of CES 2023: