The Metaverse

Yuli Ban

The Metaverse

Post by Yuli Ban »

And so I just discovered that the Metaverse may actually be coming together after all, which means that I absolutely MUST create a news and discussions thread for it.

Metaverse
The Metaverse is a collective virtual shared space, created by the convergence of virtually enhanced physical reality and physically persistent virtual space, including the sum of all virtual worlds, augmented reality, and the Internet. The word "metaverse" is made up of the prefix "meta" (meaning beyond) and the stem "verse" (a backformation from "universe"); the term is typically used to describe the concept of a future iteration of the internet, made up of persistent, shared, 3D virtual spaces linked into a perceived virtual universe
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Re: The Metaverse

Post by Yuli Ban »

Andrew Yang Turns Himself Into An Avatar And Campaigns In The Metaverse
Video games, VR, AR, and the metaverse aren’t just for gamers and fashionistas. Politicians are going virtual too. In 2020, the Biden Harris campaign launched a map in Fortnite. Also in 2020, US Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez went on a virtual tour in the game Animal Crossing. Now, Andrew Yang is using the metaverse to campaign for mayor of New York.

Andrew Yang, a front-runner in the New York City Democratic mayoral race, incorporated immersive technology and the metaverse in his first metaverse press conference on June 10. He’s doing it on one of the fastest-growing metaverse platforms, ZEPETO. Andrew Yang engaged with his audience as an avatar.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The Metaverse is coming
We will see a shift in the way people play, work, learn or simply hang out in 2021. Some of this connection will move into the Metaverse, a digital place where people seamlessly get together and interact in millions of 3D virtual experiences. Early iterations of the Metaverse emerged in the 1980s with VPL Research’s DataSuit and Linden Lab’s Second Life in 2003. However, it started to feel very real in 2020 as several platforms have been envisioning – and building – their own versions of the Metaverse.

The pandemic, with its requirements of physical distancing, has brought people into online digital environments for a growing range of shared human experiences. Gaming platforms are being used to host meetings ranging from online birthday parties to job interviews. We’re already seeing more events with millions of avatars enjoying a collective virtual and social presence in the Metaverse, from concerts to movie premieres. While gaming has initially been the province of such digital co-experiences, it is rapidly expanding. This shift has created urgency for entertainment brands and artists to generate innovative formats and ways to reach their audiences in a world where social consumption with physical co-presence has suddenly become almost impossible.

Over the course of 2021, the Metaverse will experience widespread use, and start to become a human co-experience utility
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Announcing a $1 Billion Funding Round to Support Epic’s Long-Term Vision for the Metaverse
Today Epic Games announced that it completed a $1 billion round of funding, which will allow the company to support future growth opportunities. Epic's equity valuation is now $28.7 billion.

This round includes an additional $200M strategic investment from Sony Group Corporation, which builds on the already close relationship between the two companies and reinforces their shared mission to advance the state of the art in technology, entertainment, and socially-connected online services. Other investment partners include Appaloosa, Baillie Gifford, Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, GIC, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, Park West, KKR, AllianceBernstein, Altimeter, Franklin Templeton and Luxor Capital. Epic continues to have only a single class of common stock outstanding and CEO Tim Sweeney remains the controlling shareholder of the company.

“We are grateful to our new and existing investors who support our vision for Epic and the Metaverse. Their investment will help accelerate our work around building connected social experiences in Fortnite, Rocket League and Fall Guys, while empowering game developers and creators with Unreal Engine, Epic Online Services and the Epic Games Store,” said Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder, Epic Games.

“Epic continues to deliver revolutionary experiences through their array of cutting edge technologies that support creators in gaming and across the digital entertainment industry. We are excited to strengthen our collaboration to bring new entertainment experiences to people around the world. I strongly believe that this aligns with our purpose to fill the world with emotion, through the power of creativity and technology,” said Kenichiro Yoshida, Chairman, President and CEO, Sony Group Corporation.

Credit Suisse and BoFA Securities acted as joint placement agents to Epic, and Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati provided legal counsel to Epic.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I really, genuinely hope that the Metaverse genuinely takes off. It always couldn't! We could always look at Metaverse hype as similar to VR hype from the 90s, especially if the right means of interaction aren't there. But if it works out well...
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Facebook creates exec team to work on Mark Zuckerberg's vision for a digital universe
  • Facebook will create a product team to work on the “metaverse,” a concept related to VR and AR that involves creating digital worlds that multiple people can inhabit at the same time.
  • Facebook is heavily investing in AR and VR technologies because they offer the company the possibility of controlling its own hardware platform.
  • “I think we will effectively transition from people seeing us as primarily being a social media company to being a metaverse company,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said last week.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

'Metaverse': the next internet revolution?
Imagine a world where you could sit on the same couch as a friend who lives thousands of miles away, or conjure up a virtual version of your workplace while at the beach.

Welcome to the metaverse: a vision of the future that sounds fantastical, but which tech titans like Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg are betting on as the next great leap in the evolution of the internet.

The metaverse is, in fact, the stuff of science-fiction: the term was coined by Neal Stephenson in his 1992 novel "Snow Crash", in which people don virtual reality headsets to interact inside a game-like digital world.

The book has long enjoyed cult status among Silicon Valley entrepreneurs—but in recent months the metaverse has become one of the tech sector's hottest buzzwords, with companies pouring millions of dollars into its development.
showline

Post by showline »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 pm And so I just discovered that the Metaverse may actually be coming together after all, which means that I absolutely MUST create a news and discussions thread for it.

Metaverse
The Metaverse is a collective virtual shared space, created by the convergence of virtually enhanced physical reality and physically persistent virtual space, including the sum of all virtual worlds, augmented reality, and the Internet. The word "metaverse" is made up of the prefix "meta" (meaning beyond) and the stem "verse" (a backformation from "universe"); the term is typically used to describe the concept of a future iteration of the internet, made up of persistent, shared, 3D virtual spaces linked into a perceived virtual universe
New to exploring this topic. What metaverse specific projects/sub niches are emerging and important?