Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

Accusing others of hypocrisy...
Yes, you are right, but I couldn't help but notice that you seem quite happy with the accusations of whataboutism.
raklian

Post by raklian »

ibm9000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:55 pm
Accusing others of hypocrisy...
Yes, you are right, but I couldn't help but notice that you seem quite happy with the accusations of whataboutism.
Do not take this further than you need to. You already made your displeasure clear in the first time around. You're straying from the topic of this thread. You have been warned.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Nuclear weapons convoy sparks fears Putin could be preparing test to send ‘signal to the West’

3 October 2022 • 8:50pm

A Russian convoy transporting equipment for Russia's nuclear weapons programme has sparked fears that Vladimir Putin could be preparing a test to send a “signal to the West”.

A train operated by the secretive nuclear division and linked to the 12th main directorate of the Russian ministry of defence was spotted in central Russia over the weekend heading towards the front line in Ukraine.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/10/03/nuclear-weapons-convoy-sparks-fears-putin-could-preparing-test/
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Wow the Russian army might collapse faster than few thought possible.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Posted by a user on the SkyscraperCity forum:
If I remember rightly, the black sea holds a huge amount of trapped hydrogen sulphide below 200m, it has been hypothesised that a large disturbance in the water would cause a mass evacuation of the gas and kill many along the coastline, similar to the lake Nyos disaster which killed 1750 people in 1986 - although that was CO2. A bomb test could be enough to create an even bigger disaster
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

I have been "warned", should I expect a nuclear attack?

Ukraine keeps advancing...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/txuy4j6uacd3gdp/02.jpg?dl=0

10km south one month after Visokopillia
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iv4i6gze2ws2os/03.jpeg?dl=0
(not the best map)

but maybe i's a bit too soon to announce the collapse of the Red Army.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qb7w7ov8z34c3t/01.jpg?dl=0
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Ukraine’s victory in Lyman undermines Putin’s foothold in the eastern Donetsk region and “could turn into a cascading series of defeats for the Russians,” retired Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, former national security adviser, said Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“What we might be here is really at the precipice of really the collapse of the Russian army in Ukraine,” McMaster said. “They must really be at a breaking point.”

But current officials cautioned that Kyiv’s most recent gains should not be overstated, and that Russian forces are holding steady in other areas such as nearby Bakhmut, in the Donetsk. In the north, Russian forces are shelling the town of Kupiansk, which Ukraine continues to defend, the senior military official said.

The fight in the Donbas will be particularly grueling, as Russian forces are fighting from existing trenches and shelters they’ve held for years.

“There’s lots of heavy fighting ahead,” said a Defense Department official, who like others quoted in this story asked for anonymity to discuss internal assessments. Another U.S. official added: “It’s important strategically, but they still have a long way to go.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/0 ... s-00060064
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Recent movements of Russia's "nuclear train" could merely be part of an annual training exercise, or could indicate that the country is sending troops that are normally assigned to guard the country's ICBMs to fight in Ukraine due to manpower shortages.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/r ... g-it-to-be
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:54 am I have been "warned", should I expect a nuclear attack?
I think Rakilian may be referring to your posting privileges on this forum.

In addition to the obvious insult of "implying" that you think somebody is a hypocrite, what-about-ism is also a deep insult to progressive and peace minded activists within countries such as Great Britain and the United States. It is a kind of bigotry to "imply" (intentionally or on purpose) that someone should share the guilt of what sins their government, in the past, may have committed. Especially so for historical events that may have occurred even before they were born or prior to assuming the full mantle of citizenship in their own country. It is a slap in the face to those who have made progress in bringing about more reasonable policies. A bit like condemning a Jewish person because "the Jews killed Christ" while of course ignoring the tremendous contribution made by Jews to Christian and moral thought.

Put another way, what-about-ism can be irrelevant. It is like this hypothetical. A man robs a bank and is caught and arrested in the act. His defense?
Well, another bank robber robbed another bank at different time and got away with it. Therefore, he should be allowed to get away with his crime.
Most judges in most circumstances would rightfully laugh that line of argument right out of court.

@Joe,

How is that for an effective rebuttal?
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill