China could mount full scale invasion of Taiwan by 2025

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: China could mount full scale invasion of Taiwan by 2025

Post by wjfox »

Taiwan national day: we won’t bow to China, says president amid tensions

Sun 10 Oct 2021 06.28 BST

No one will force Taiwan to take the path laid out by Beijing, president Tsai Ing-wen has vowed on the Taiwanese national day, pledging to continue bolstering the island’s military defences.

Responding to repeated threats from China’s leaders that it will one day take Taiwan – by force if need be – and overthrow its democratically elected government, Tsai said Taiwan had the resolve to defend itself and its future, which “must be decided in accordance with the will of the Taiwanese people”.

Tsai made the comments at formal celebrations in Taipei on Sunday, at the end of one of the most tense weeks between China and Taiwan for decades, including record numbers of Chinese military flights into Taiwan’s defence zone and a speech by President Xi Jinping of China vowing reunification with Taiwan.

Tsai said Taiwan would not “act rashly” but “there should be absolutely no illusions that the Taiwanese people will bow to pressure”.

“We will continue to bolster our national defence and demonstrate our determination to defend ourselves in order to ensure that nobody can force Taiwan to take the path China has laid out for us,” she said. “This is because the path that China has laid out offers neither a free and democratic way of life for Taiwan, nor sovereignty for our 23 million people.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -president
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

erowind wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am On the Spratly islands point specifically, support your claim instead of making a statement that amounts to "I snarkily say it is therefore it is."
I don't think I was being "snarky."

This article supports my claim about the Spratly Islands being indefensible against U.S. attack.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... ake-187466
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

erowind wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am Well, I wrote a giant reply but the forum autologged me out (a new "feature" I despise about this version of the forum) and I lost a good few pages worth of writing.

Sorry to hear that. It's never happened to me on here – not sure what happened in your case.

Tip: I always copy long posts to notepad before pasting the final version to the Internet, so there's a backup in case of problems like this.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I wouldn't be surprised to see china attacking before 2025.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 am I wouldn't be surprised to see china attacking before 2025.
I think the opposite (After 2025, even around 2030)
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

Lurking wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:55 am
weatheriscool wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:39 am I wouldn't be surprised to see china attacking before 2025.
I think the opposite (After 2025, even around 2030)
Actually I think it might happen around the 2023-26 range, maybe even after the 2024 Taiwanese general election, assuming that the DPP gets their second president elected. The problem is how it might happen. Will it be western ignorance, allowing China to strategically take the weak spot in their calculation or will it be out of impatience and overhyping by young keyboard ultranationalists to the point that they have to execute it as soon as possible? To be fair, I think the former is more of a possibility than the latter, but I won’t be surprised if either happened.
weatheriscool

China vrs taiwan violence and war

Post by weatheriscool »

China vows no concessions on Taiwan after Biden comments
Source: AP
BEIJING (AP) — China on Friday said there is “no room” for compromise or concessions over the issue of Taiwan, following a comment by U.S. President Joe Biden that the U.S. is committed to defending the island if it is attacked.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin reasserted China’s longstanding claim that the island is its territory at a daily briefing after Biden made his comment a day before at a forum hosted by CNN.

China has recently upped its threat to bring Taiwan under its control by force if necessary by flying warplanes near the island and rehearsing beach landings.

“When it comes to issues related to China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and other core interests, there is no room for China to compromise or make concessions, and no one should underestimate the strong determination, firm will and strong ability of the Chinese people to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity,” Wang said.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-ch ... 6b5f8c9c29
R8Z

Re: China vrs taiwan violence and war

Post by R8Z »

What are the odds the greatest technology hub of the planet would be right beside a dictatorship ready to blow it up to conquer it. This is very unfortunate.

Now with a weakened western world is just a matter of when and not if.
And, as always, bye bye.
Redspector

Post by Redspector »

R8Z wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:02 pm What are the odds the greatest technology hub of the planet would be right beside a dictatorship ready to blow it up to conquer it. This is very unfortunate.

Now with a weakened western world is just a matter of when and not if.
im going to hold my tongue on most of this but since when was Taiwan a technology hub? Israel, Japan and the US come to mind when it comes to technology.

To play the devil's advocate, they have been saying China would invade since the 1970s. Its almost as if media publishes news in news cycles to keep people distracted from real issues. Nothing will happen and then 5 years later we will start seeing a resurgence in Chinese invasion stories.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I have read Xi Jingpings books and controlling Taiwan is one of Chinas biggest priorities.