Ukraine War Watch Thread

caltrek

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by caltrek »

^^^I am not sure what the point of this map is supposed to be.

What I came here to post:

Ukraine Situation Report: U.S. Confirms NASAMS Air Defense System Transfer
by Thomas Newdick
July 1, 2022

Introduction:
(The Drive) The latest round of U.S. military aid for Ukraine, valued at $820 million, was announced today and includes confirmation, for the first time, that the country will receive the National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems, or NASAMS. The Kyiv will be given two examples of the ground-based air defense system, which it has been campaigning for now for several months, as it seeks to bolster its ability to counter Russian air operations and cruise missile strikes.

NASAMS, as you can all about in our recent piece here, should provide a significant advance over the man-portable weapons that have constituted the bulk of the ground-based air defense systems provided to Kyiv since the war began. It’s also far more modern than Ukraine's Soviet-era short and medium-range air defense systems. With just two systems being provided, initially at least, it's likely at least one of them will be used for the local defense of Kyiv.

Interestingly, the statement from the Pentagon says, In particular, that the DoD “recognizes Norway’s cooperation to enable the historic provision by the United States of modern air defense systems that will help Ukraine defend against Russia’s brutal air attacks.” While NASAMS was developed in conjunction with Norway, this strongly suggests that the systems in question might be from Norwegian stocks. They could comprise first-generation NASAMS, now retired from service, or the more modern NASAMS 2 or 3, both of which are in use.
Read more here: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ ... -transfer

caltrek’s comment: I suppose that I should reiterate that my preference is for a negotiated settlement between the warring parties. It is sad to see hatred for Ukraine overwhelming past feelings of Ukrainians being “our” people.
Last edited by caltrek on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Meet the Shadowy Ukrainian Unit That Sabotages Targets Inside Russia
by Howard Altman
July 1, 2022

Introduction:
(The War Zone) Sometimes they cross the border by helicopter. Other times, by foot.

But the objective is always the same, says the head of a shadowy Ukraine special operations group known as the Shaman Battalion.

Give the Russians a taste of what Ukrainians have been experiencing since 2014. And especially since Feb. 24.

“You might have heard about the missiles strike at the shopping mall recently,” the man who goes by the callsign 'Shaman' told The War Zone in an exclusive interview Thursday morning. “You've definitely heard about Bucha. You've heard about the missile strike at the railway station with refugees at Kramatorsk. I wish all these special ops actions would happen on Russian soil now. Because I want them to know the feeling that they give to the people of Ukraine.”

Speaking through an interpreter via Zoom, Shaman, the leader of the eponymous group, said the battalion is doing its part to make that happen.
Read more here: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ ... de-russia
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Lorem Ipsum

Post by Lorem Ipsum »

caltrek wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm Image

^^^I am not sure what the point of this map is supposed to be.
Countries that sanctioned Russia
Certain Russian user

Post by Certain Russian user »

Initially didn't noticed:
funkervogt wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:45 am The Russians are learning from their mistakes early in the war.
IMHO neglecting drones was the wrong conclusion from Syrian campaign: all the drones used there against Russian army were routinely shot down and did almost no harm. Conclusion: drones are scary only for those who do not have the normal (modern) air defense.

The main initial mistake was not about drones, but about the general course of the campaign: no one expected (for purely political reasons) the serious resistance. The decisiveness and ISIS-like cruelty of the AFU was an unpleasant surprise (for example, no one really expected them to put their guns in schools and hospitals and use their own population as human shield and/or hostages). Then, it took several weeks for Russia's clumsy military-bureaucratic machine to recognize the new reality and switch to some "Plan B". The West interpreted this pause (mid-march - mid-april) as "imminent Russia's defeat". You can see this in this very forum: the collective enthusiastic masturbation to "already almost guarantied" Ukrainian victory started as early as second or third day of war and faded away (with no any orgasm) sometime in April-May. Although some, the most stubborn, are still trying...

As for drones, yes, they are very useful as "means of objective control" tied to artillery, and their job is often posted in telegram: the most spectacular (for my taste) were the Ukrainian soldiers in the fetal position at the bottom of their trenches and looking up in fear. And then - BOOOM - and nothing...
Last edited by Certain Russian user on Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are few, and the enemy is strong, but God is not in power, but in truth. Some with weapons, and others on horseback, but we call on the name of the Lord our God; they were defeated and fell, but we stood and stand straight.
Certain Russian user

Post by Certain Russian user »

caltrek wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm It is sad to see hatred for Ukraine overwhelming past feelings of Ukrainians being “our” people.
In old forum I spent literally years explaining who are "our" people in Ukraine and who are not at all our. It's sad you didn't noticed.

Anyway, here is a good analogy: imagine you have an enemy. He's just an enemy, nothing more and nothing less. You can calmly calculate how to get rid of this enemy (by making him your friend or, if not possible, in more radical way), but this all is purely technical issue and doesn't involve any personal feelings. Traitor is worse than just enemy, there is already a room for feelings (very unkind). And when this traitor is not just traitor, but your own brother...
We are few, and the enemy is strong, but God is not in power, but in truth. Some with weapons, and others on horseback, but we call on the name of the Lord our God; they were defeated and fell, but we stood and stand straight.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

The Russian government will be able to compel businesses to supply the military with goods and make their employees work overtime under two laws to support Moscow's war in Ukraine that were approved in an initial vote in parliament on Tuesday.

The measures will effectively place Russia on a war economy footing, nearly 19 weeks into the invasion which it describes as a "special military operation".

"The load on the defence industry has increased significantly. In order to guarantee the supply of weapons and ammunition, it is necessary to optimize the work of the military-industrial complex and enterprises that are part of cooperation chains," Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/duma-gives-f ... 07418.html
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Certain Russian user wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:40 pm
caltrek wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm It is sad to see hatred for Ukraine overwhelming past feelings of Ukrainians being “our” people.
In old forum I spent literally years explaining who are "our" people in Ukraine and who are not at all our. It's sad you didn't noticed.

Anyway, here is a good analogy: imagine you have an enemy. He's just an enemy, nothing more and nothing less. You can calmly calculate how to get rid of this enemy (by making him your friend or, if not possible, in more radical way), but this all is purely technical issue and doesn't involve any personal feelings. Traitor is worse than just enemy, there is already a room for feelings (very unkind). And when this traitor is not just traitor, but your own brother...
So your you saying that Ukraine can't be independent from Russia and where as Putin is stuck in the past and wants to live in a so-called new soviet union under him. I would think ex-soviet states would disagree with that.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

HIMAR system: The new US weapon being used by Ukraine against Russian targets
Tuesday 5 July 2022

Increasing number of pictures are appearing on Ukrainian social media showing a US-made rocket launcher being used against Russian targets.

At the start of June, the US Department of Defence said it would be sending four HIMAR systems to Ukraine to help the country defend itself from attack.

It said Ukrainian soldiers would be trained on it first, which would take about three weeks.

In the last few days, there have been a number of social media posts from Ukrainian military sources that have showed the HIMARS in action in the country, reportedly targeting forces from Russia.

One shows vehicles travelling along a road purportedly in southern-eastern Zaporizhzhia region and then the system in use, launching a volley of missiles into a twilit night, was put out by the official account of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

https://news.sky.com/story/himar-system ... s-12646263
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Certain Russian user wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:29 pm Initially didn't noticed:
funkervogt wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:45 am The Russians are learning from their mistakes early in the war.
IMHO neglecting drones was the wrong conclusion from Syrian campaign: all the drones used there against Russian army were routinely shot down and did almost no harm. Conclusion: drones are scary only for those who do not have the normal (modern) air defense.

The main initial mistake was not about drones, but about the general course of the campaign: no one expected (for purely political reasons) the serious resistance. The decisiveness and ISIS-like cruelty of the AFU was an unpleasant surprise (for example, no one really expected them to put their guns in schools and hospitals and use their own population as human shield and/or hostages). Then, it took several weeks for Russia's clumsy military-bureaucratic machine to recognize the new reality and switch to some "Plan B". The West interpreted this pause (mid-march - mid-april) as "imminent Russia's defeat". You can see this in this very forum: the collective enthusiastic masturbation to "already almost guarantied" Ukrainian victory started as early as second or third day of war and faded away (with no any orgasm) sometime in April-May. Although some, the most stubborn, are still trying...

As for drones, yes, they are very useful as "means of objective control" tied to artillery, and their job is often posted in telegram: the most spectacular (for my taste) were the Ukrainian soldiers in the fetal position at the bottom of their trenches and looking up in fear. And then - BOOOM - and nothing...

This is such an endorsement of Russian propaganda talking points it would be funny were not the consequences of this mentality so tragic. There is little to no using "their own population as human shield/or hostages." What there is a lot of is apparently targeting of civilian population centers, and then twisting the news around to make it sound as if it is somehow the fault of Ukrainians. Now, a lot of that is based on reliance of sources that I trust, so I am sure you will shrug it all off as "Western propaganda" despite the fact that some of these reporting sources are also highly critical of U.S. actions in other countries.

As for reports of the Russian military's imminent demise, I have personally made no such predictions, so I don't feel any need to comment on that further.

I also don't really recall reading very much about use of drones.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill