Ukraine War Watch Thread

ººº

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ººº »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm
:shock:
I hope that's only for retaliatory purposes.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm
It's going from bad to worse.
What is an "irregular presence" ?
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

If Russia drops just one nuke in Ukraine, people all over the world will panic and empty the stores. I'm going to buy water and canned food tomorrow, haven't done that before, but now we have extreme tension.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Nuclear Experts on Chances of Russia Using Atomic Weapons in Ukraine
by Tyler Rogoway
September 30, 2022

Introduction:
(The Drive) The specter of nuclear war has loomed larger over the conflict in Ukraine in recent days. Russia's recent announcement of a partial mobilization was paired with direct nuclear threats from President Vladimir Putin and Deputy Chairman of the country's Security Council Dmitry Medvedev. Now combined with continued losses on the battlefield and the sudden illegal annexation of Ukrainian territories in the country's east and south, there appears to be a change in messaging and level of concern from the U.S. government and its NATO allies.

The possibility of Russia releasing the nuclear genie from its bottle after nearly 80 years is clearly being taken more seriously as is the potential for rapid escalation that could come as a result. And the stakes could not be any higher. A nuclear exchange is mankind's problem, not just one of nations, and even a very limited use of a tactical nuclear weapon would change the course of human history. We wrote a recent primer on this rapidly developing issue that you can read here for full background.

So, what are the chances that Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine?
To bring clarity to this extremely challenging and pressing question, The War Zone reached out to the smartest people we know that live and breathe the nuclear weapons issue on a daily basis for their unfiltered opinion.
Read more here: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ ... n-ukraine
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... n-ukraine/

Here’s What Would Happen If Putin Ordered A Nuclear Strike In Ukraine
raklian

Post by raklian »

Just leaving this here.

Referring to the speech linked here: https://www.reuters.com/world/extracts- ... 022-09-30/
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:24 pm If Russia drops just one nuke in Ukraine, people all over the world will panic and empty the stores. I'm going to buy water and canned food tomorrow, haven't done that before, but now we have extreme tension.
A nuclear strike is almost unthinkable, but if it happened I would immediately leave London to be with my family in East Anglia.
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:55 pm
andmar74 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:24 pm If Russia drops just one nuke in Ukraine, people all over the world will panic and empty the stores. I'm going to buy water and canned food tomorrow, haven't done that before, but now we have extreme tension.
A nuclear strike is almost unthinkable, but if it happened I would immediately leave London to be with my family in East Anglia.
You'll only have one or two hours at most to do it in the worst case. :?

Or better, try to predict a strike will happen so you can get ahead of the horrible traffic jam when the real panic happens.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^More on Putin's speech:

Putin Declares ‘Four New Regions of Russia’ as Moscow Annexes Parts of Ukraine
by Sam Meridith and Holly Ellyatt
September, 2022

Introduction:
(CNBC) Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday declared four new regions of the country shortly after holding sham referendums in parts of occupied Ukraine.

“There are four new regions of Russia,” Putin said in a televised ceremony from the Kremlin in Moscow, according to a translation.

“The results are known, well known,” Putin said, referring to the series of votes that Ukraine and Western governments say breached international law. He claimed the results were due to the will of millions of people, saying they had the right to self-determination.

The territory being seized more than seven months into the Kremlin’s war consists of two pro-Russian “republics” in Luhansk and Donetsk in the east, and in Kherson and Zaporizhzhia in the south. It is thought to make up roughly 18% of Ukraine’s land, although the precise details of the boundaries were not immediately clear.

Unsurprisingly, the votes, seen as illegitimate by Ukraine and its allies, saw a majority of people vote to join Russia.
Read more here (including responses from other government leaders and spokespersons): https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/30/putin- ... aine.html
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill