Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

Would a tighter China-Russia relationship be a victory for US?

An alliance is impossible, but is this an intended side effect of western policy on the war in Ukraine?
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

A Very Simple Request
by Boris Kagarlitsky as translated by Dan Erdman
May 23 , 2023

Introduction:
(Counterpunch) A long-retired Russian military man was discussing current events by phone with a former colleague living in Ukraine. Both resented the war between the two recently fraternal countries and expressed the hope that this madness would soon end. A few days later, representatives of the special services raided the Russian. He did not give out any military secrets, and no one accused him of this. He was charged, however, with publicly discrediting the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. In turn, the former officer, who knew the laws, objected that the conversation had been a private one. And such a charge was meant to apply to public statements only. “But it was public,” objected the intelligence officers. “After all, we heard it!”

This is not a fragment from a story written by a modern imitator of Franz Kafka or George Orwell, but news that is now being discussed on Russian social networks. There you can also find numerous reports of fines imposed on people who had inadvertently painted their fence yellow and blue many years ago, now risking undesirable associations with the Ukrainian flag, or who thoughtlessly went out into the street in blue jeans and a yellow jacket. It got to the point that the police considered writing a denunciation on a box of apples. The fruits were guilty of the fact that the same “enemy colors” were present in the package.

Conclusion:
And from the Western progressive public, we only need one thing – stop helping Putin with your conciliatory and ambiguous statements. The more often such statements are made, the greater will be the confidence of officials, deputies and policemen that the current order can continue to exist with the silent support or hypocritical grumbling of the West. Every conciliatory statement made by liberal intellectuals in America results in more arrests, fines, and searches of democratic activists and just plain people here in Russia.

We do not need any favor but a very simple one: an understanding of the reality that has developed in Russia today. Stop identifying Putin and his gang with Russia. Realize at last: those who want the good of Russia and the Russians cannot but be irreconcilable enemies of this power.
Read more here: https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/05/2 ... atements
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

A 99% tweet...

I am sure he is an explosive expert and he has been testing all available remains in his own high-end lab.

(Pity he is not working on cancer).
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

:o :shock: :(

Ukraine war: Dashcam captures moment missile debris falls onto Kyiv street

59 minutes ago

Dashcam footage appears to show the moment missile debris crashed down on a street in Ukraine's capital, Kyiv.

The incident happened on 29 May and came during a rare daytime attack on the city. No injuries were reported.

The way the missile falls suggests it was intercepted by air defences before it could reach its target. The BBC matched the dashcam footage to footage from a nearby security camera and photographs in media reports.

The fragments were later collected by police for further investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-65763731

ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Today, a US Navy Northrop F-5N crashed into the sea off Key West, Florida. The pilot successfully ejected using the recently upgraded Martin-Baker US16J Seat.
The Drive.

An Ukrainian missile, I guess. I mean, every time a plane goes down is an Ukrainian missile, right? The Spanish F18, another missile... or all Spanish pilots are incompetent, all NATO pilots? Well, maybe is that F18s are just garbage. Should I wait for a tweet to confirm it? ...99%?
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

It seems that the BBC's "intercepted missile" is a Patriot coming down.
Expectation tended to outrun execution. ACW.

Ukraine will get 30 millions small arms rounds from US. Can we call this (future) offensive a NATO offensive? What war would this be without those bullets, what offensive?
By the way, the most decorated Australian soldier is a war criminal. War implies war criminals, in the real world, in History, always.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:26 pm It seems that the BBC's "intercepted missile" is a Patriot coming down.
Expectation tended to outrun execution. ACW.

Ukraine will get 30 millions small arms rounds from US. Can we call this (future) offensive a NATO offensive? What war would this be without those bullets, what offensive?
I believe the proper term would be counteroffensive. As in an act of self-defense.

As far as I can see, the main thing that "Russia" has been defending is the right to be led by an autocratic kleptocrat who behaves like a mob boss. The handful of Russians that I have encountered who have immigrated to the United States would tend to agree with that assessment of Putin. Of course, there are those who will insist on continuing with their false equivalencies and what-about-isms that go back fifty years or more. With those, I can only continue to agree to disagree.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:26 pm By the way, the most decorated Australian soldier is a war criminal. War implies war criminals, in the real world, in History, always.
I will allow that to stand as it is brief and clearly related to the topic at hand (although perhaps suffering from what some might complain as being another what-about-ism). I would remind you and others that we do have a thread concerning Australia and Oceania news and discussion, so further elaboration and debate concerning Ibm9000's point should be made in that thread, or in an appropriate thread in the History Forum.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

There is a "counteroffensive" if there is an offensive. When was the last time we had anything bigger than "limited attacks"? (Attack/counterattack not offensive/defensive war.
Australia and Oceania...
Unless you use the war part. (This one is just another war, we shouldn't be surprised about the things that happen in a war; any war).