Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

For a few days, I have been trying to find news about Davydid Brid front... really hard. That village was not in the news when it was reconquered by Russia (but it was some kind of "significant operational victory" when it was retaken by Ukraine; now Russia has (re)reconquered Kostromka, but, again, that is not important (actually it's not, just the same old nibbling) and nothing happening to the LOC of that bridgehead seems to be relevant. I think this biased reporting is undermining western propaganda, as the lack of reporting by the Russian MoD was (is) undermining its version of events.
Breaking news from the Davydiv Brid Front: Russian airforce bombarded the Ukrainian forces in the salient so badly, that the Ukrainian command had to replace the withdrawn forces wholesale with fresh troops.
Russian forces taking advantage of the withdrawal, recaptured Kostromka and Bezimenne. Ukrainian artillery bombarded the Russian troops in the new locations in response.
Russia then launched a bombardment on the pontoon crossing at Velyke Artokove, reportedly caused a retreat of the forces in that location. Status of the pontoon is unknown
. defensepoliticsasia.com
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 am I haven't been able to read any direct threat to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine by Putin yet.
We are not your research assistants.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Interrogations, Electric Shocks, Detention—This Is What Russian Occupation of Ukraine Looks Like
by Sam Skove
September 30, 2022

Introduction:
(Mother Jones) When the Soviet Union still existed, Anatolii Harahatii made his career as a photographer in the small village of Savintsi in northeastern Ukraine. Snapshots of him as a younger, sharply dressed man appear on many surfaces in the cozy, one-story house he shares with Natalya, a former nurse and his wife of over 40 years. In photos from just a few years ago, he appeared happy and healthy, posing with Natalya and their two adult children.

As was the case for most Ukrainians, Anatolii’s life was forever upended on February 24 when Russia launched its full-scale invasion of their country, and by early March troops had occupied Savinsti. Russia’s goal, which its government justified with an often head-spinning mix of falsehoods, was nothing less than to topple Ukraine’s democratically elected government and install a puppet regime in its place. As Ukrainian resistance proved to be more formidable than Putin had anticipated, Russian troops escalated their attacks on private citizens. Anatolii was one of them.

Anatolii intensely followed the frightening and chaotic news of the early days of the war. Several months later, we sat in his kitchen, as he recalled seeing the news of grandmothers standing up to Russian armored columns, blocking their path as they tried to make their way through small villages across Ukraine.

“It was heroism,” Anatolii told me, referring to the Ukrainian civilians’ attempts to physically block Russian tanks with their bodies. When he awoke one morning, he decided to find the columns of tanks, which he filmed. He then posted the footage online. At the end of May, Russian soldiers in masks, likely intelligence officers, arrested the 68-year-old pensioner. They considered his act of filming the tanks dangerous, likely due to the information it might provide to others in Ukraine, and believed he was in some way acting against the Russian authorities.

He was imprisoned for weeks, and tortured by beatings and electric shocks as his captors tried to elicit information since the Russians believed he had been telling Ukrainian troops their positions. Sometimes, it was punishment for saying some Ukrainian words rather than Russian ones as he was being interrogated. Anatolii, like many Ukrainians, speaks both languages.
Read more here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2 ... oks-like/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Anti-Mobilization Protests in Dagestan Becoming a Maidan in the North Caucasus
by Paul Goble
October 2, 2022

Introduction:
(Eurasia Review) Since Russian President Vladimir Putin announced his partial mobilization program on September 21, officials across Russia have sought to carry out his order. This has sparked protests in more than 50 cities and fire bombings of official buildings in more than 20. Outside the two capitals (Moscow and St. Petersburg), the largest protests have been in non-Russian areas and in ethnic Russian rural areas far from the Kremlin, the two areas where the Russian authorities had erroneously calculated they would find it easiest to meet mobilization quotas. In response, the authorities have cracked down, arresting more than 2,300 demonstrators thus far. The largest flashpoints have been in Buryatia and Sakha in the Far East, as well as across the non-Russian republics and Russian krais and oblasts of the North Caucasus (Rfi.fr, September 25; Novayagazeta.eu, September 26).

But, overall, far and away the largest and most uninterrupted demonstrations outside Moscow and St. Petersburg—and the site of the largest number of arrests outside the capitals—have been those in Dagestan. Activists there say that Putin’s mobilization order has destroyed popular myths about and support for the Kremlin leader and that they and the thousands of residents of the Muslim republic are showing the rest of Russia how to resist Moscow’s orders and how such resistance can be effective (Kavkaz.Realii, September 26; Rfi.fr, September 26; Novayagazeta.eu, September 27).

Immediately after Putin issued his order, Dagestanis in villages and cities across the 3-million-strong Muslim republic took to the streets to denounce the partial mobilization and demand that the Kremlin reverse its decree. As the protests continued—and Daghestanis are currently still demonstrating—some Russian officials have tried to calm things by saying they will work to ensure that any problems with the mobilization will be corrected; but Russian special forces, including troops dressed in civilian clothes, have moved in, firing live ammunition over the protesters’ heads, engaging in fights with them and arresting more than 100.
Read more here: https://www.eurasiareview.com/02102022 ... analysis/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:00 pm
ibm9000 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 am I haven't been able to read any direct threat to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine by Putin yet.
I am not here to make your arguments for you
On the other hand, you could google Rumsfeld, first strike policy, US nuclear doctrine... I am not going to do your research for you (but try not to use Wiki).
I think we already know that.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:43 pm
On the other hand, you could google Rumsfeld, first strike policy, US nuclear doctrine... I am not going to do your research for you (but try not to use Wiki).
Thank you for your suggestions. However, I fear that you will just have to endure my continued use of Wiki. Far better than some random source off the internet that may be just a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Ukraine Responds to Putin Annexations with Fast-Track NATO Application
by Jake Johnson
September 30, 2022

Introduction:
(Common Dreams) Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Friday formally applied for NATO membership after Russian President Vladimir Putin signed decrees to annex four Ukrainian territories, moves that signal the monthslong war is only escalating further amid growing fears of a nuclear conflict.

"De facto, we have already made our way to NATO," Zelenskyy said in a statement, making his case for officially joining the alliance whose members have pumped billions of dollars worth of high-tech weaponry into the war zone.

"We have already proven compatibility with alliance standards," Zelenskyy continued. "They are real for Ukraine—real on the battlefield and in all aspects of our interaction. We trust each other, we help each other, and we protect each other."

To succeed, Ukraine's bid for NATO membership must be accepted unanimously by alliance nations, an outcome that is currently seen as highly unlikely. If Ukraine were to become a NATO member, the alliance would be obligated to send troops to Ukraine to directly fight invading Russian forces, ushering in World War III and a direct clash of nuclear-armed powers.

Additional Extract:
In a "60 Minutes" appearance that aired Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken claimed that peace talks have not resumed because "Russia has not demonstrated any willingness in this moment to engage in meaningful discussions."
Read more here: https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022 ... plication
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

caltrek wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:28 pm
ibm9000 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. However, I fear that you will just have to endure my continued use of Wiki. Far better than some random source off the internet that may be just a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists.
I don't know why you continue to try to engage with ibm, Caltrek? It's pretty clear this person is not making arguments in good faith. They also can barely string together a simple sentence to convey a basic idea most of the time. Just ignore them and move on.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

9 NATO members urge support for Ukraine after annexation
Source: AP
PRAGUE (AP) — The heads of nine European NATO members on Sunday issued a joint statement backing a path to membership for Ukraine in the U.S.-led security alliance and calling on all 30 NATO nations to ramp up military aid for Kyiv.

-snip-

The nine NATO countries in Central and Eastern Europe fearful that Russia could target them next if it isn't stopped in Ukraine urged a response to the annexation.

The leaders of Czechia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania and Slovakia published a statement on their websites Sunday saying: “We support Ukraine in its defense against Russia’s invasion, demand (that Russia) immediately withdraw from all the occupied territories and encourage all allies to substantially increase their military aid to Ukraine."

It said the leaders “firmly stood behind the 2008 Bucharest NATO Summit decision concerning Ukraine’s future membership.” At the 2008 summit, NATO members welcomed Ukraine and Georgia’s aspirations to join, but declined to provide a clear timeline for the two countries’ possible ascension. Sunday's letter didn't mention a timeline, either.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/9- ... r-AA12vB2Q
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Mikhail Khodorkovsky: Putin will probably consider nukes if Russia stands to loose in Ukraine. Or else, Putin might be executed.