Ukraine War Watch Thread

weatheriscool

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by weatheriscool »

If we go to war against Russia, I predict China will side with Russia and we will see world war III. Kind of like Italy and Germany in wwII. It will probably be the most deadly and ugliest war in history. God help us.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

weatheriscool wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 am If we go to war against Russia, I predict China will side with Russia and we will see world war III. Kind of like Italy and Germany in wwII. It will probably be the most deadly and ugliest war in history. God help us.
I personally doubt it will get to that point, and maybe it could even be avoided altogether (at least for a few years).
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

I can't imagine a world war over Ukraine, only if some mistakes happen.
Russia would need to attack a NATO country for that, which is unlikely.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

A group of around 30 elite British troops has arrived in Ukraine to help train the Ukrainian armed forces on new anti-tank weapons gifted by the UK amid fears of an imminent, new Russian invasion, Sky News understands.

The members of the Ranger Regiment - part of the army's newly-formed Special Operations Brigade - flew out on military planes that also airlifted a total of some 2,000 anti-tank missile launchers to the country during the course of this week.

British surveillance aircraft have also been spotted as part of a quiet but notable build-up of support to Ukraine's military by the UK.

Open source flight-tracking software has plotted Royal Air Force C-17 transport aircraft flying back and forth between the UK and Ukraine.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Russia announced on Thursday its navy wouldstage a sweeping set of exercisesinvolving all its fleets this month and next from the Pacific to the Atlantic, the latest show of strength in a surge of military activity during a standoff with the West.

The drills will take place in the seas directly adjacent to Russia and also feature manoeuvres in the Mediterranean, the North Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, the northeast Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific, it said.

They will draw on 140 warships and support vessels, 60 planes, 1,000 units of military hardware and around 10,000 servicemen, the Ministry of Defence said in a statement.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Military equipment, both Belarusian and Russian, continues to be spotted in different regions of Belarus. Separately, it is worth noting that there are more and more reports every day about the deployment of military equipment in the area of Mozyr, Rechitsa, and Yelsk. However, the Ministry of Defense did not report that the drills would be conducted in the Gomel region.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Russia has reportedly deployed a large number of Iskander-M short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) systems in areas bordering Ukraine, adding fresh fuel to the ongoing tension between the two neighbors.

The latest intelligence assessment, which was shared with CNN, by the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense suggests that the Russian military build-up is “almost completed”. It singles out the Iskander-M as a key weapon system that would be employed to “destroy vital objects” if Moscow launches a new invasion against Ukraine.

The biggest concern for the west is that the Iskander can be equipped with tactical nuclear warheads and it can strike deep into Europe.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The security guarantees that Russia seeks from the West include provisions requiring NATO forces to leave Romania and Bulgaria, the Russian foreign ministry said on Friday.

Moscow has demanded legally binding guarantees from NATO that the bloc will stop its expansion and return to its 1997 borders.

Replying to a question about what that would mean for Bulgaria and Romania, which joined NATO after 1997, the ministry said Russia wanted all foreign troops, weapons and other military hardware withdrawn from those countries.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Hypocritical Scolding Will Not Stop a Russian War on the Ukraine
by Mitchell Zimmerman
January 19, 2022

https://otherwords.org/russia-is-wrong- ... rth-a-war/

Introduction:
(Other Words) As Moscow signals its apparent readiness for war over Ukraine, the U.S. government seems determined to ignore Russia’s not-so-ridiculous concerns over the military alliances of neighboring states and the prospect of nuclear weapons on its borders.

Should Americans worry about our country inserting itself into another war?
Conclusion:
It is not unreasonable for the Russians not to want a hostile alliance — and potentially nuclear weapons — along their border. But Russia’s key interests do not reasonably include dismembering Ukraine.

Meanwhile the U.S. is not crazy for wanting Ukraine to be free to connect economically and culturally with Western Europe. But it’s not a key interest, requiring a confrontation between nuclear-armed states, to insist that Ukraine has the “right” to join NATO.

Peace cannot be found if the U.S. relies on the self-righteous assertion of principles that our government refuses to apply to itself.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Russia announced on Thursday the deployment of over 140 combat and supply ships, over 50 aircraft, 1,000 pieces of military equipment, and 10,000 military servicemen.

The Russian Defense Ministry said the Russian Navy will have a series of exercises in all zones of responsibility from January to February, according to the Russian news agency TASS.

"In accordance with a plan for training the Russian armed forces in 2022 a series of naval exercises will be held in January-February in all zones of the fleets' responsibility under the general guidance of the commander-in-chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolay Yevmenov," the news release says, TASS reported.

"The exercises will encompass seas washing Russia and also World Ocean areas of key importance. There will be some exercises in the Mediterranean and Northern seas and the Sea of Okhotsk, in the Northeastern Atlantic and in the Pacific," the Defense Ministry said, according to TASS.