Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

from what hat did you get that concept?
In this thread... It is clear that this war is not a "total war".
...war crimes that may have been committed
War crimes have been committed in this war, by both sides; like in every other war, by every side. What is false there?, where is the distraction?
I mentioned it before, but let me make it clear again: I am not surprised and...
this one is just another war.
It will be a meme in 10 years.

...might have involved being subject to slavery
Do you misunderstand things on purpose? In every Greek city they already had slaves. The fate of Greeks, slaves or barbarians could be different; as everything could be different in a war against barbarians even with no different "rules". (Taking "barbarians" as its original meaning: non-Greek).
raklian

Post by raklian »

ibm9000 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:01 pm
from what hat did you get that concept?
In this thread... It is clear that this war is not a "total war".
...war crimes that may have been committed
War crimes have been committed in this war, by both sides; like in every other war, by every side. What is false there?, where is the distraction?
I mentioned it before, but let me make it clear again: I am not surprised and...
this one is just another war.
It will be a meme in 10 years.
Russia is the aggressor, period. The unequivocal fact is that Russia invaded Ukraine's sovereign territory unprovoked. You're attempting to minimize Russia's culpability as the aggressor by assigning equal blame on Ukraine when there is absolutely no justification for that. Civilian casualties in war is sadly a frequent occurrence and difficult to avoid but to say because Ukraine is killing civilians they are as much to blame as the Russians is nothing short of disingenuous and distracts from the real issue - Russia invading Ukraine's sovereign territory without its consent.
...might have involved being subject to slavery
Do you misunderstand things on purpose? In every Greek city they already had slaves. The fate of Greeks, slaves or barbarians could be different; as everything could be different in a war against barbarians even with no different "rules". (Taking "barbarians" as its original meaning: non-Greek).

Why are you talking about the Greeks in a thread about Ukraine's war with Russia? You have been warned multiple times not to bring in context that is not related to the thread topic. I hope you realize you're walking on very thin ice. :roll:
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Russia is the aggressor, period.
Anyone said otherwise?

It is true that someone else said something else...
This is what your psychopathic leader is doing to innocent people in Ukraine...
- psychopathic
Do you have any medical qualifications?Just another comment, correct? Just to show how moderate and unbiased this site is.

- "Doing"
LBJ did anything?
Do you know of any war were "innocent people" were not 'done'... something?

Who is "your leader"?
Do you "know" if a have a leader? Do you "know" him?

- "Your leader" is:
Slander
Hate comment
Bullying
Nonsense
Just pure hate
Wishful thinking
Transference
"Your" moderation
Proof of how much trust we should put in (the administrators of) this site
The higher moral standards of this site
The behaviour recommended to the administrators of this site
or
whatever you like because you are master and god here?

(Nothing personal... but maybe a bit off-topic).

The Ancient Greek (and "slavery") were in a conversation between two people... about war, like this, because this is a war; even if I am not sure what difference he can see between "wars".
In my opinion (and I don't know if you are going to accept this as a valid opinion or if you are going to accept opinions at all; but I am pretty sure I read something about defending the opinion of someone else), killing people under the best intentions is, still, killing people.
raklian

Post by raklian »

ibm9000 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:52 pm
Russia is the aggressor, period.
Anyone said otherwise?
That wasn't my main point, you know.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

In Latest Legal Clash, Ukraine Calls Russia a ‘Terrorist State’ at UN High Court
by Molly Quell
June 6, 2023

Introduction:
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (Courthouse News) — Ukraine and Russia returned to the United Nations' highest court on Tuesday for the opening day of hearings over claims that Russia repeatedly violated international law in border regions, just as Kyiv accused Moscow of destroying a major dam.

The Hague-based International Court of Justice, also known as the World Court, is holding two weeks of hearings stemming from accusations that the Kremlin fueled a campaign of intimidation and terror while illegally occupying parts of eastern Ukraine and Crimea.

“The past is prologue,” Ukraine’s ambassador-at-large Anton Korynevych told the U.N.’s top court, arguing that Russia’s activities nearly a decade ago were a harbinger of the full-scale invasion that has been raging for more than a year.

Ukraine first filed suit against Russia in 2017, claiming Moscow violated both the International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism, or ICSFT, and the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, abbreviated as CERD.

After a week of hearings, judges ruled in 2019 that the court had jurisdiction to take the dispute.

Read more here: https://www.courthousenews.com/in-late ... h-court/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Not to complain too strongly about the moderation here, as I do have respect for the mods. But how many more warnings is ibm going to get? I'm sure if we went through this thread I would have more than enough warnings so far to justify a ban at this point.

Also there is no evidence this user is actually a futurist (you know the actual focus of this board) as they have never actually posted on any other thread on this board.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

He is now suspended for a month. Next time it'll be a permanent ban.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

ibm9000 doesn't offer the strongest arguments, but I think it's important to have at least one person on the forum who stands for Russia's side. We can't get caught in a pro-Ukraine echo chamber.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Russian forces probably blew up the dam to create a flood that would temporarily block the Ukrainian offensive. The act also did major, long-lasting damage to the agricultural potential of southern Ukraine and Crimea. That might indicate that the Russians have so little faith in their ability to hold on to the region that their best option is to wreck it before Ukraine takes it over.

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

funkervogt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:41 pm ibm9000 doesn't offer the strongest arguments, but I think it's important to have at least one person on the forum who stands for Russia's side. We can't get caught in a pro-Ukraine echo chamber.
Here's the thing though. If you want to argue the Russian side be my guest.

However, here's my problem with IBM. Half the time he isn't making direct arguments he engaged in near incessant whataboutism that changes the focus off the topic. Also his posts are often cryptic nonsense that add nothing of substance. If IBM wants to provide some actually substantive analysis be my guest. But most of the time it's just some sentence of paranoid nonsense which occasionally goes into him trying to refute something with a omg do you remember what the U.S. did in the 1960s? This is not someone adding any substance.

On top of that IBM has never actually posted on any other threads on this board. We don't have to host people who are simply here to push an agenda at the end of the day this is a futurology board. Not your place to be a troll.