Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

Russian mobilization will do nothing since they can't properly supply them and dooms hundreds of thousands of Russian men to die this winter
Hundred of thousands, really?
Hopefully, this opinion is based in more than Tweeter. Still, there are a lot of "if" in that whole vision of the future, the future for a distant next year.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Dad of the year award goes to.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chechen leader vows to send teenage sons to frontline

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63118050
Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov says his three sons, aged 14,15 and 16, will soon travel to the Ukraine front line to fight with Russian forces.

Kadyrov is a strong ally of Vladimir Putin but has recently been critical of Russia's military leadership.

On social media, he wrote that a father should teach his sons how to protect their family, people and fatherland.

Russia has signed a UN treaty aimed at preventing children under the age of 18 from taking direct part in hostilities.

Using children under the age of 15 to participate in hostilities is considered a war crime by the International Criminal Court, however Russia does not recognise its jurisdiction.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

International Criminal Court, however Russia does not recognize its jurisdiction.
The government of the United States of America does not recognize its jurisdiction. If it's right for one...
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

ibm9000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:52 pm
International Criminal Court, however Russia does not recognize its jurisdiction.
The government of the United States of America does not recognize its jurisdiction. If it's right for one...
Please stop this constant Whataboutism, it's unbelievably tedious.
joe00uk

Post by joe00uk »

wjfox wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 pm Please stop this constant Whataboutism, it's unbelievably tedious.
In fairness, if the "Whataboutism" is constant, it's probably because it isn't being answered very well...
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

erowind wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:38 am
caltrek wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm
From Putin's recent address to his nation in which he also announced the mobilization to enlarge the Russian military with conscripts:
"Otherwise, we can finish the war, but we will not have peace, and we will have another war," he said.

In a rare address to the nation earlier this week, Mr Putin said his country had "various weapons of destruction" and would "use all the means available to us", adding: "I'm not bluffing."

Technically, Putin is coaching his arguments in the rhetoric of self-defense. As pointed out in earlier posts, his announced annexation of Ukrainian occupied territory into Russia can thus be interpreted, rightly or wrongly, as a willingness to use nuclear weapons to achieve the defense of his recent, dare I say "illegitimate" use of force.

Show me a transcript with this wording translated by an official governmental or reputable Russian news organization or at the very least from a country that isn't part of NATO or economically intertwined with NATO.
I've already established I don't trust our institutions to be honest reporting the transcript. I haven't seen any evidence that the Russian government is actively planning a first strike over even what it considers to now be federalized Russia (occupied Ukraine.)
The only thing I've seen is both powers laying the cultural groundwork for a first strike as I explained before.
In an earlier post, I already showed you a translated transcript from a Russian government source:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/t ... ents/69390

I could not find the "Otherwise we can finish the war" clause, but I did find the more critical clause which conforms in large part to the citation you to which you responded. It reads:
our country has different types of weapons as well...In the event of a threat to the territorial integrity of our country and to defend Russia and our people, we will certainly make use of all weapon systems available to us. This is not a bluff.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Please stop this -not constant- hypocrisy, it is a bit annoying.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Counterpoint: The odds of nuclear war in Ukraine are very low.
https://marginalrevolution.com/marginal ... s-low.html
raklian

Post by raklian »

ibm9000 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:12 pm
Please stop this -not constant- hypocrisy, it is a bit annoying.
Accusing others of hypocrisy doesn't help make your case and it just muddies the waters. Let's not dwell on this and move on.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.