Ukraine War Watch Thread

caltrek

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by caltrek »

Putin Announces Plans to Annex Ukrainian Territory Seized by Russia
September 30, 2022

Introduction:
(Democracy Now!) Ukraine’s government says a Russian missile strike on a humanitarian convoy has left 23 people dead and more than 30 others wounded. Today’s deadly attack in the city of Zaporizhzhia came as Russian President Vladimir Putin prepared to deliver a major address in Moscow, where he’s expected to announce that four Russian-occupied regions of Ukraine will join the Russian Federation. President Biden condemned voter referendums used by Russia to justify its annexation of the territories as “an absolute sham,” while U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres called annexation a “dangerous escalation” that would jeopardize prospects for peace.
  • Secretary-General António Guterres: “The U.N. Charter is clear: Any annexation of a state’s territory by another state resulting from the threat or use of force is a violation of the principles of the U.N. Charter and international law.”
Read more here: https://www.democracynow.org/2022/9/30 ... by_russia
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Russia vetoes U. N. resolution condeming annexation of Ukrainian land
Source: Washington Post
A United Nations resolution condemning Russia’s “illegal, so-called" referendums in Ukraine, and calling on “all states” in the world not to recognize Russian annexation, failed to pass at the Security Council Friday following Russia’s veto.

Four nations — China, India, Brazil and Gabon — abstained from the vote, despite U.S. exhortations to “stand up and defend our collective beliefs.”

U.S. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said before the vote that “if Russia chooses to shield itself from accountability,” the United States would bring the matter before the 193 member nations of the U.N. General Assembly.

In March, 141 members voted to demand Russia stop its Ukraine offensive, while five voted against the resolution and 35 abstained, including many from Africa and the Mideast. Also speaking before the Friday vote, Russian Ambassador Vasily Nebenzya said it demonstrated that “some of our colleagues in the Council have reached a new low.”
Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ru ... r-AA12ruSK
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Ukraine says troops closing in on key Russian-held stronghold of Lyman
Source: Reuters
Ukrainian troops have captured two villages that lie very close to the eastern Russian-occupied stronghold of Lyman, officials said on Friday, in the clearest sign yet the town could soon fall.

Lyman, in the Donetsk region, has served for months as a logistics and transport hub anchoring Russian operations in the north of the region.

Its capture would be Kyiv's biggest gain since a lightning counter-offensive retook swathes of Kharkiv region this month.
Read more: https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-s ... 022-09-30/
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

I am not sure of what point you are trying to make her
(here, I guess)
War, we were talking about war, not international trade 30 years later.
disruption of the peace and order
In how many countries there is none of that right now? Add one -two- more. (Yes, it sounds callous, we are callous).
I was not missing "the" irony.
A bit difficult to catch when using different adjectives for the same actions. (Invading countries/killing civilians).
I suspect you mean "because they fear that power.
No, because it pays the bills. (And yes, a huge gradation there, but they still use collateral damage for "some" things).
according to Wikipedia, ended in 1971.
Well, if it's in Wikipedia...
I am not here to make your arguments for you
On the other hand, you could google Rumsfeld, first strike policy, US nuclear doctrine... I am not going to do your research for you (but try not to use Wiki).
So, why didn't the war in Vietnam end in World War III?
Short answer: US did not invade NVN.

NVN sent more troops to the south and invaded. US sent more troops, escalated the bombing, was bombing more countries, invading other countries
(campaigns) and conducting terrorist attacks in other countries (covert operations if you like).
US had plans (armies have plans for everything) to invade NVN, China would them send troops into NVN, US would use tactical nuclear weapons against them (official doctrine and the generals in the field had the authority to do so, I don't know if CinC Pacific, CinC MACV...), I don't think China had nuclear weapons in the 70's, but USSR could had passed them a few (as some wise men are calling for around here), then US would had to use nuclear weapons against China: WW3. (I don't think USSR would had allowed the humiliation of China and a clear US victory/world domination).
The UN may very well play a role in "deciding"
It may well decide, countries will only intervene according to their interest.
Anybody in the armed forces has the duty to disobey unlawful orders. (Something that O. North "forgot")
Wikipedia "citation needed."
On the other hand, you could google Soviet, Osama, weapons, Afghanistan, CIA... There is also a film, you could get the names of those characters and google them too. I am not going to do your research for you, (but try not to use Wiki).
So, no, this is not the sort of action that
True, every country would probably make direct threats if threatened. "Context", sounds like: "Stop quoting the law, we carry weapons", the guy quoting the law, living in a fairy tale. I will decide what is a threat, I will decide the response; like it has always been.

Also:
Just leaving this here.
So, Putin sounds like Trump now?
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Ukraine’s Southern Operational Command reported that Ukrainian forces are continuing to force Russian troops to defend their positions. ISW.

In a war!, I am thunderstruck. Probably due to the influence on combat of all those new technologies.
Also:

two areas of kinetic activity

for some reason, I feel like in Physics class...
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

So I bought today canned Tuna, canned beans and some oats. Also water storage for 30 liters.
That will keep us alive for a few days..
Solaris

Post by Solaris »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm
I have not seen any news media covering this or raising any unusual concerns. It remains status quo, so I think it's false alarm for now.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

https://www.businessinsider.in/internat ... 519443.cms
"This comes at a time when we are, as far as I can ascertain, at the closest point to nuclear war since 1983," he added, referencing an incident where a Soviet early-warning radar system falsely reported an incoming US nuclear attack.

Politico reported this week that the US and its allies are increasingly concerned, noting that Western intelligence agencies "are stepping up efforts to detect any Russian military moves or communications that might signal that Vladimir Putin has ordered the use of nuclear weapons in Ukraine," citing five current and former US officials.