Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

I beg your pardon...
Missing the point...
I was arguing against his (erowind) point in your (you and him) conversation, that's why I used your name.
is a condensed rehash...
That is an assumption, correct?

Russia could claim that the invasion is due to an unfair share of Soviet property... (another claim, why not).
It (the ACW) is still History, still war... still (not) learning from the past (or learning that it works).
I don't want to limit myself to 10' of History, it may provided not enough context to the seventh graders.

UK, National Security Bill. "Immunity if the actions of officials are deemed necessary for the proper exercise of the Intelligence or the Armed Forces"; like killing a journalist in Moscow.
Do you think this has anything to do with war, politics, History?, not to mention moral principles...
I do.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:27 pm
I beg your pardon...
Missing the point...
I was arguing against his (erowind) point in your (you and him) conversation, that's why I used your name.
With all due respect, you missed my point. You attributed to me a position which I was not taking. Please be more careful, even if you are not criticizing my position.
is a condensed rehash...
That is an assumption, correct?

Russia could claim that the invasion is due to an unfair share of Soviet property... (another claim, why not).
It (the ACW) is still History, still war... still (not) learning from the past (or learning that it works).
I don't want to limit myself to 10' of History, it may provided not enough context to the seventh graders.

UK, National Security Bill. "Immunity if the actions of officials are deemed necessary for the proper exercise of the Intelligence or the Armed Forces"; like killing a journalist in Moscow.
Do you think this has anything to do with war, politics, History?, not to mention moral principles...
I do.
Russia could claim all sorts of outlandish things. That does not mean we should give them any credence.

I was not objecting to a reference being made to the Civil War, I just don't want to see this thread derailed into that topic. Why are you so resistant to taking these side issues to another thread?

Still, Erowind's initial reference was appropriate as he contrasted that event with the present situation. That does not mean that we should now spend pages and pages discussing the American Civil War. In any event, I was simply explaining my own lack of further discussion on that point.

I am not familiar with the clause in the UK National Security Bill that you cite, or the manner in which it is implemented. So, I have no opinion on that matter at the present time.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

You attributed to me a position...
No.

What position? I was talking to erowind, I was asking him about that "liberation" and I was giving him an example (and his friends/and your friends) about what can be understand by his position, using your name; as I could had used funkervogt or ibm, but it was your conversation.
Are you telling me what you understand or what I write?
No, I was not attributing you any position.
I have no opinion on that matter...
Not your opinion, but if "that matter" has anything to do (with...).
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:19 pm
You attributed to me a position...
No.

What position?
Caltrek and his friends can start a war, a justified war according to them.
That position. Please try to pay attention.
I was talking to erowind, I was asking him about that "liberation" and I was giving him an example (and his friends/and your friends) about what can be understand by his position, using your name; as I could had used funkervogt or ibm, but it was your conversation.
Are you telling me what you understand or what I write?
What you wrote.
No, I was not attributing you any position.
I am not interested in playing any further word games with you as to what constitutes a "position." For most everybody else, I think I have made my point.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Clearly not, because that is the only "position" that every single person in this planet can read in those words.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

One year on, and we're still waiting.
Russia may have already started World War III, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in an interview with NBC News on Wednesday.

The outcome of Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine has yet to be decided, but it's possible the decision has set off a path to a full-scale global war, Zelenskyy told “NBC Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt when asked whether he understood concerns from President Joe Biden about not escalating tensions with or provoking Moscow.

"Nobody knows whether it may have already started. And what is the possibility of this war if Ukraine will fall, in case Ukraine will? It's very hard to say," Zelenskyy said. "And we've seen this 80 years ago, when the Second World War had started ... nobody would be able to predict when the full-scale war would start."

He further emphasized that the outcome of this war puts the "whole civilization at stake."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/worl ... -rcna19967
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Poland plans to grant Ukraine's request for fighter jets

Source: AP

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Poland’s president said Thursday that his country plans to give Ukraine around a dozen MiG-29 fighter jets, which would make it the first NATO member to fulfill the Ukrainian government’s increasingly urgent requests for warplanes.

President Andrzej Duda said Poland would hand over four of the Soviet-made warplanes “within the next few days” and that the rest needed servicing and would be supplied later. The Polish word he used to describe their number can mean between 11 and 19. “They are in the last years of their functioning but they are in good working condition,” Duda said of the aircraft.

Duda did not say whether other countries would be making the same move, although Slovakia has said it would send its disused MiGs to Ukraine. On Wednesday, Polish government spokesman Piotr Mueller said some other countries with MiGs also had pledged them to Kyiv, but he did not name them.

While Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has pleaded for Western supporters to share fighter jets, NATO allies have expressed hesitancy. Before Russia’s full-scale invasion, Ukraine had several dozen MiG-29s it inherited in the collapse of the Soviet Union, but it’s unclear how many of them remain in service after more than a year of fighting.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-pola ... 5bff8f3e01
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Prigozhin Says Jealous Kremlin Deliberately Stopped Wagner Taking Bakhmut
by Dan Ladden-Hall
March 16, 2023

Introduction:
(Daily Beast) Wagner Group founder Yevgeny Prigozhin has stepped up his angry attacks on the Russian Defense Ministry, accusing Kremlin officials of deliberately preventing his fighters from capturing Bakhmut out of sheer jealousy at his military successes.

The mercenary boss dubbed “Putin’s Chef” said authorities are choosing to deprive Wagner of ammunition, which has slowed progress in the blood-soaked effort to take Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine. “The objective is simple,” Prigozhin said. “PMC Wagner should not take Bakhmut.”

His comments, which were made during an interview (see You Tube video below) with several Russian media outlets on Wednesday, are the latest development in an escalating war of words between Prigozhin and the official armed forces of Russia.
Read more here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/prigozhi ... ?ref=home

Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

ICC judges issue arrest warrant for Putin over war crimes in Ukraine
Source: Reuters
AMSTERDAM, March 17 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant on Friday against Russian President Vladimir Putin, accusing him of being responsible for war crimes committed in Ukraine. Moscow has repeatedly denied accusations that its forces have committed atrocities during its one-year invasion of its neighbour.

The ICC issued the warrant for Putin's arrest on suspicion of unlawful deportation of children and unlawful transfer of people from the territory of Ukraine to the Russian Federation.

Earlier this week Reuters reported that the court was expected to issue warrants, the first in its investigation into the Ukraine conflict.

Separately the court issued warrants for Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova, Russia's Commissioner for Children’s Rights, on the same charges.
Read more: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ic ... 023-03-17/
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Slovakia to send 13 MiG jets to Ukraine
Source: The Telegraph
Slovakia will donate all 13 of its MiG-29 warplanes to Ukraine, becoming the second Nato member after Poland to pledge the fighter jets despite the Kremlin warning they would be "destroyed".

"We're giving these MiGs to Ukraine so that it can protect civilians against the many bombs that fall on their houses and which are the reason why people are dying in Ukraine," Slovak Prime Minister Eduard Heger told journalists on Friday.

He said Bratislava would also deliver a Kub air defence system to Ukraine.

It comes just a day after Poland said it would send four Soviet-made MiG-29 jets to Ukraine "in the coming days".
Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... ews-putin/