Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

Ukraine is getting fuel trucks and bridging equipment.

An educated guess would be that the Army of U. already had that.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:47 pm
...out of context.
Maybe R. has enough ammo to shell other targets (it is a war, everything is a military target)....
Bullshit. Children under the age of eight are "military targets"?

Hospitals that tend to the sick and wounded regardless of cause or political affiliation are "military targets" ?

Civilian housing away from the front are "military targets"?

Only the most twisted and cynical of interpretations can conclude that these are "military targets." Another example of gross false equivalencies at work.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

U.S. Fire Power May Have Been Weakened By Arms Flow To Ukraine
by Thalif Dean
April 1, 2023

Introduction:
(Eurasia Review) The uninterrupted flow of US weapons to Ukraine—running into billions of dollars—may ultimately have a negative fallout on American military security and its fire power. So far, US economic and military aid to Ukraine, along with security assistance, is estimated at about 100 billion dollars.

According to a March 25 report in the New York Times, it could take at least five to 13 years to replace some of these weapons in the US military inventories.

The Times quoted a spokesman for Raytheon, one of the major arms manufacturers in the US, who warned that replacing the Stinger missile stock alone “would take 13 years of production at recent capacity levels to replace them”.

“It has sent so many Javelin missiles that it would take five years at last year’s rates to replace them.”

If a large-scale war broke out with China, “within one week the US would run out of so-called long-range anti-ship missiles”, a vital weapon in any engagement with China, according to a series of war-game exercises conducted by the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

Read more here: https://www.eurasiareview.com/01042023 ... ine-oped/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Bullshit.
That is a very convincing argument.

Bakers. The army needs bread, bakeries, mills, roads, lorries, every petrol station, every garage....
Shoe makers... the same.

You fight the country, that is war; and, afterwards, you call it collateral damage (not in WW2).

(Do you have anything against 9 years old children?)
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

ibm9000 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:50 am
Bullshit.
That is a very convincing argument.

Bakers. The army needs bread, bakeries, mills, roads, lorries, every petrol station, every garage....
Shoe makers... the same.

Bakers and shoemakers are a subcategory of the general category known as civilians. That civilians in their capacity as civilians may support a war effort does not mean that they are excluded from the category of being civilian. It is in that capacity that I referred to them as “non-military targets.”

This has applicability in the determination of war crimes which includes "participation in and knowledge of a widespread or systematic attack against a civilian population," and "the multiple commission of [such] acts...against any civilian population, pursuant to or in furtherance of a State or organizational policy to commit such attack" (See https://www.hrw.org/reports/2002/isrl-p ... 02-04.htm )

Even if you reject the notion of war crimes, it is cynical to argue that “civilian” is equivalent to “military person” and therefore qualifies as a “military target” as a way of dealing with the argument concerning war crimes.

Aside from moral or ethical concerns, it is a sorry military officer indeed who cannot distinguish between a heavily armed “soldier” and an apparently unarmed “civilian”. It would be like “there are a group of bakers over there and in the other direction a group of armed enemy soldiers. I don’t know which poses the most imminent threat since I have been taught ‘civilians’ and ‘military personnel’ are equivalent to each other.”
Clearly, a refusal to acknowledge differences is absurd.
(Do you have anything against 9 years old children?)
No. Do you?

You seem to be the one to argue that 9-year-olds are legitimate “military” targets.

There are a near infinite other types of persons, places or things that I could have listed as being non-military targets. That I list two or three by way of example should not mean that I need to include in my list all types of persons, places or things that also belong in the category.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Speaking of legitimate military targets:

Remember this guy:

Yeah, well he got his just deserts:

Love that for him. Hopefully, we see more Russian officials follow suit.
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

I should mention Ukraine is denying any involvement with his assassination. Honestly, I believe them. Considering how Putin is trying to kill off the Wagner group in Bakhmut this is likely an internal operation by the Kremlin to further eliminate Wagner supporters.

People may suggest this is Ukraine, but I think the call is coming from within the house on this one.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

There are a near infinite other...
...ways to attack the logistics of the enemy army.