Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

For some reason what I cannot see is your "always" anywhere.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Ukraine launches missile attack on Russian-occupied Melitopol
Source: CNN
Multiple explosions have been reported in the Russian-occupied city of Melitopol in southern Ukraine and in annexed Crimea, including at a Russian military barracks.

The explosions in Melitopol came amid reports from officials on both sides that Ukraine had launched a missile attack on the city on Saturday.

Melitopol’s Moscow-installed administrators said four missiles hit the city, killing two and injuring 10, while Melitopol’s mayor reported several explosions, including at a church occupied by Russian forces.

Separately, reports also emerged of multiple explosions hitting Russian-annexed Crimea, including at a military barracks in Sovietske.
Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/11/europe/u ... index.html
Vector

Post by Vector »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm A midwit would take that meme as proof that different opinions on the same thing are always equally valid. The meme actually shows how different opinions on the same thing can be equally wrong if they are based on incomplete information.

The shape is not a square or a circle or a triangle. It's a complex fusion of all three. Dare I say that most people lack the visuospatial abilities to imagine it in their heads or to accurately reproduce its shape after having a chance to examine it.
I see your point. But in fact with this meme, I wanted to express different thought.
I mean that politics, journalists, showman, propagandist when they talk about some subject cover it only on some dimension which beneficial to them, as result of with viewer cannot fully imagine the covered subject in all aspects of them. And this is at best, at worst, some manipulation tricks are used, for example, substitution of concepts and others, and in extreme cases, outright lies.

Last edited by Vector on Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
=================================================================
My YouTube channel: ARMED FORCES
Vector

Post by Vector »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:43 pm Ukraine launches missile attack on Russian-occupied Melitopol
Vector

Post by Vector »

ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

After deep-reading those "Preliminary lessons", I miss the same level of judgment upon past Ukrainian operations; I would say that the British Army was extremely lucky having to face neither Russians nor Ukrainians but Iraqis; I wonder how serious (compare to) was their (Iraqi) fighting and I just realized how completely unprepared is the British (every) army for anything longer than a weekend war.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Key bridge targeted overnight in Russian-occupied Melitopol
Source: CNN via Egypt Independent
A bridge essential to the resupply of Russian forces occupying the city of Melitopol in southern Ukraine was targeted by strikes overnight, according to both Ukrainian and Russian officials.

The bridge appears to have buckled or collapsed inwards in a video posted online by Vladimir Rogov, a pro-Russian regional official.

Rogov also posted what appears to be CCTV footage in which an explosion can be heard.

CNN has not been able to verify if the explosion is from the bridge, but the video is part of a set of videos Rogov posted of the incident.
Read more: https://egyptindependent.com/key-bridge ... melitopol/
Vector

Post by Vector »

weatheriscool wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:57 pm Key bridge targeted overnight in Russian-occupied Melitopol
raklian

Post by raklian »

An Atmospheric Trick May Have Helped A Ukrainian Missile Battery Find And Sink The Russian Cruiser ‘Moskva’

Story by David Axe, Forbes Staff

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... c810771164
Many of the rumors attempted to explain how a navy with virtually no big ships or aircraft could defeat a navy with lots of big—and heavily-armed—vessels and planes. Some of the rumors hinged on the assumption that the Ukrainians required foreign help in order to strike Moskva.

Did one of the Ukrainian navy’s Turkish-made Bayraktar TB-2 drones sneak up on Moskva and pinpoint her location, 80 miles south of Odesa, for the Neptune battery? Did a high-flying U.S. Navy Boeing P-8 patrol plane relay the critical coordinates?

Neither, apparently. According to an eyebrow-raising new story in Ukrainska Pravda, the Neptune battery—a quad launcher and its associated radar—found and hit Moskva mostly on its own.

The assistance the battery did receive ... came from nature. An atmospheric phenomenon called “temperature inversion” created a kind of channel for radar waves that allowed them to travel over the curve of the horizon and back,

“Nature itself unexpectedly helped Ukraine on April 13,” Ukrainska Pravda reporter Roman Romaniuk wrote. “The operators of the Neptune should not have reached Moskva with ordinary radar, but this is exactly what happened.”
Wow. Didn't know the sinking of the Moskva had such interesting story! Though I hope it isn't a cover story meant to bury the fact US intelligence shared information with the Ukrainians on the Moskva's whereabouts at the time. :?
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Ukraine: Russian strikes thwarted, wreckage hits buildings
Source: AP

By HANNA ARHIROVA and JAMEY KEATEN an hour ago

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian authorities said they thwarted a Russian attack on Kyiv and the surrounding region Wednesday as their air defense system intercepted and destroyed 13 explosive-laden drones, although wreckage from some of them damaged five buildings. No casualties were reported.

The attempted strikes underlined how vulnerable Ukraine’s capital remains to the regular Russian attacks that have devastated infrastructure and population centers in recent weeks, mostly in the country’s east and south. But they also highlighted Ukraine’s claims of increasing efficiency in intercepting weapons — something that Patriot missiles from the U.S. may soon help boost.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, in a brief video statement, said the “terrorists” fired 13 Iranian-made drones, and all were intercepted. Such drones have been part of the firepower, along with rockets, missiles, shelling mortars and artillery, as Russia targets power stations, water facilities and other public utility sites.

The snow-covered capital remained largely calm after the attack, which occurred around daybreak. As the working day began, authorities sounded the all-clear.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... osition_01