Post by firestar464 »

weatheriscool

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by weatheriscool »

go Ukraine! bomb the shit out of them!
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

I can't find anything about this; only stuff about them evacuating children from the area
Tadasuke

just my "few cents" about this war

Post by Tadasuke »

I think that Putin is trying to get back what belonged to Russia for many hundreds of years --> the area of Ukraine to the east of river Dnieper. He has never seriously thought or spoke about conquering Europe or the rest of the World - that's only scaremongering from Ukrainians and others to the west of Ukraine. He's no Stalin. Although, he is undemocratic.

Historically, that was the case - those stretches were parts of Russia. The area to the west of river Dnieper belonged to Litva, Poland and Hungary. There used to be signs and texts in Latvian, Polish and Hungarian not that long ago. I know people who can attest to that.

If you went back 200 years, people would tell you there is none and there has been no such a country as Ukraine.

Putin is unfortunately correct about (some) Ukrainians celebrating and glorifying murderers, who were killing both Poles and Russians and collaborated with the Nazis. It's the truth. Just because Putin sometimes lies, doesn't mean he lies about everything.

Of course, I don't mean it justifies what Russia or Putin does. I'm just stating some facts. War is still bad, obviously. 😐
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

It's worth noting Ukrainians see the Cossacks under Bohdan Khmelnitsky as the precursor to Ukraine. Regardless, Putin continues to deny their existence as a separate culture.

I'd also recommend that you read the ISW to get a better understanding of Putin's efforts to undermine the sovereignty of other countries that he perceives as part of the "Russian world." Russia's also threatened Denmark
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Ukraine war: Blackouts hit across country after wave of Russian strikes
58 minutes ago

Large areas of Ukraine are suffering blackouts after Russian missiles targeted energy infrastructure.

Fifteen blasts were reported in the second-largest city, Kharkiv, said the mayor, while more than 53,000 households in Odesa were without power.

Ukraine's energy minister, German Galushchenko, accused Russia of trying to provoke "a large-scale failure of the country's energy system".

A power line feeding the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant had been cut, he added.

Regional governor Ivan Fedorov said the power station was "on the verge of a blackout", adding that seven buildings in the region had been destroyed and 35 others damaged.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68634444
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Powers

Post by Powers »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:19 am
:shock:
Is this new in the war?
firestar464