NATO News and Discussion

weatheriscool

Re: NATO News and Discussion

Post by weatheriscool »

I doubt Russia wants to die and be blown off the face of the earth. I don't think wwIII will happen because of Russia. China on the other hand is very possible.

Russia honestly prove themselves as too weak to win militaryly against a nat fly and that isn't what wwIII is going to be about if it ever happens. China on the other hand could easily be the germany or japan of wwII that fires off such a war.

No one is going to start launching nukes and such a thing is something Putin won't be doing. I think he values his life too much.
ººº

Post by ººº »

^ I don't think they will be that successful launching an offensive but they will be unconquerable (Iran but 3 times larger).
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

If Finland Joins NATO, It Needs a New Nuclear Weapons Policy
by Robin Forsberg, Aku Kähkönen, Jason Moyer
December 8, 2022

Introduction:
(Bulletin of Atomic Scientists) As an aspiring NATO member, Finland must update its nuclear weapons policy. Nuclear weapons are an important pillar of the defensive alliance, which has the official position that for as long as nuclear weapons exist, NATO will inherently be a nuclear alliance.

In September 2022, Russian President Vladimir Putin threatened to use nuclear weapons, saying “In the event of a threat to the territorial integrity of our country and to defend Russia and our people, we will certainly make use of all weapon systems available to us. This is not a bluff.” Putin’s statement—and others—triggered a heated debate about nuclear weapons in Europe not seen since the darkest days of the Cold War. Even though Russia’s military doctrine prescribes nuclear weapons for self-defense, the doctrine is opaque and Putin is largely considered in the West as an unpredictable actor. As the invasion of Ukraine escalates and Russian losses multiply, there are widespread concerns that Russia might rely on its nuclear arsenal as a last-ditch method of coercion. These concerns happen as Finland contemplates its views toward nuclear weapons as a future member of the alliance.

After filing its membership application in May 2022, Finland is now in the midst of its NATO accession process, with only Turkey and Hungary’s approval remaining. In its application, Finland is not seeking any exemptions to its membership and is committing to the alliance fully. This has initiated discussions about its upcoming policy on nuclear weapons. On November 7, President Sauli Niinistö stressed the Finnish position: “Let me make it clear: even if we do not impose any restrictions on our membership of NATO in advance, Finland has no intention whatsoever of bringing nuclear weapons onto its soil. Nor have I seen any indication that anyone is offering them to us.” NATO’s two other Nordic members—Norway and Denmark—have prohibited NATO bases or nuclear weapons within their borders in peacetime. By applying for full NATO membership without any explicit restrictions, Finland allows itself the opportunity to chart its own decisions on nuclear weapons. But there is one caveat: Under Finland’s current national legislation nuclear weapons are illegal.
Read more here: https://thebulletin.org/2022/12/if-fin ... t-heading
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
erowind

Post by erowind »

Finland becomes a nuclear target by virtue of being in NATO. Joining either NATO or the CTSO is some of the most suicidal policy a country could engage in. Ukraine is in the unfortunate position of both sides forcing their influence upon it, but Finland isn't. Sweden and Switzerland were some of the only places in Europe not devastated during WWII, there's a reason for that.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

erowind wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:01 am Finland becomes a nuclear target by virtue of being in NATO. Joining either NATO or the CTSO is some of the most suicidal policy a country could engage in. Ukraine is in the unfortunate position of both sides forcing their influence upon it, but Finland isn't. Sweden and Switzerland were some of the only places in Europe not devastated during WWII, there's a reason for that.
Problem is that without nuclear weapons it remains a target for conventional warfare. The combination with a nuclear armed alliance gives it the benefit of an all for one and one for all defense posture, which results in the costs of attacking it being much too high. It is a target only if the attacking power is suicidal. That is the essence of the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine.

Not a perfect solution, but Finland lives in an imperfect world.

Switzerland also had the advantage of mountainous borders and being an integral part of an essential part of an international banking system. Its roll in banking meant it was better not to attack it as the disruption would harm the attackers, or at least elites within the attacking country.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Vector

Post by Vector »

=================================================================
My YouTube channel: ARMED FORCES
Vector

Post by Vector »

My YouTube channel: ARMED FORCES
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Turkey's president says no support for Sweden's NATO bid
Source: ABC News
ISTANBUL -- Turkey’s president cast serious doubt on NATO's expansion Monday after warning Sweden not to expect support for its bid for membership into the military alliance following weekend protests in Stockholm by an anti-Islam activist and pro-Kurdish groups.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan slammed Rasmus Paludan’s Quran-burning protest on Saturday, saying it was an insult to everyone, especially to Muslims. He was particularly incensed at Swedish authorities for allowing the demonstration to take place outside the Turkish Embassy in Stockholm under “the protection” of security forces.

“It is clear that those who allowed such vileness to take place in front of our embassy can no longer expect any charity from us regarding their NATO membership application,” Erdogan said in his first comments regarding the weekend protests, saying Sweden must have calculated the consequences of permitting Paludan's demonstration.

The burning of Islam's holy book angered people across the political spectrum in Turkey, just as Sweden and Finland appeared on the cusp of NATO membership after dropping their longstanding policies of military nonalignment following Russia's war on Ukraine. Russian President Vladimir Putin now stands to benefit as the potential enlargement of the world’s most powerful military alliance appears to be stymied.
Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... d-96610783
TanishaTanTan

Post by TanishaTanTan »

I have followed all the military news since I am a history college student. I have to do some essay examples about historical events relating them to actual international circumstances. On https://papersowl.com/examples/d-day/ I found materials for my last task about the US army's participation in D-Day. I was impressed to find out that the operation of June 6, 1944, brought together the allied armies' land, air, and sea forces in what became known as the most significant invasion force in human history.
Last edited by TanishaTanTan on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Putin go crazy? He has enough to handle in Ukraine, now that even modern tanks will start to roll there.