Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Businesses are struggling to hire during the labor shortage, with some turning to robots for mundane jobs.

The CEO of an automation business told Bloomberg that "people want to remove labor."

Elon Musk previously said physical work "will be a choice" in the future as automation grows.

Amid a struggle to hire workers, using robots for mundane tasks is helping so much that executives are preparing for robots to take over altogether.

"People want to remove labor," Ametek Inc. CEO David A. Zapico told Bloomberg. Ametek makes automatic equipment for industrial firms, and Zapico said his business is "firing on all cylinders."

Insider has reported on possible causes for the labor shortage, and there's no one reason why people aren't returning to work. Mismatches between the jobs that are open and the skills that workers have are likely partially responsible, and Labor Secretary Marty Walsh told Insider that he thought three things were driving shortages: living through unprecedented times, health concerns, and people rethinking what they want out of work.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Labor shortages and rising wages are pushing U.S. business to invest in automation. A recent Federal Reserve survey of chief financial officers found that at firms with difficulty hiring, one-third are implementing or exploring automation to replace workers. In earnings calls over the past month, executives from a range of businesses confirmed the trend.
Domino’s Pizza Inc. is “putting in place equipment and technology that reduce the amount of labor that is required to produce our dough balls,” said Chief Executive Officer Ritch Allison.

Mark Coffey, a group vice president at Hormel Foods Corp., said the maker of Spam spread and Skippy peanut butter is “ramping up our investments in automation” because of the “tight labor supply.”

The mechanizing of mundane tasks has been underway for generations. It’s made remarkable progress in the past decade: The number of industrial robots installed in the world’s factories more than doubled in that time, to about 3 million. Automation has been spreading into service businesses too.
As a techno-accelerationist, GOOD.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I sense that there will still be crappy jobs available as long as we don't have AGI and that as long as there are crappy jobs available we will be blamed for being out of work and forced to fight with tons of people for shit jobs with wages being reduced due to competition from unemployed people. I think the only thing that could stop this is fear of genuine revolution. More likely I think we will be f***ed more and more for some years and have to hope for AGI and prey it will do something utopian rather than serve the bourgeoisie.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Companies in North America added a record number of robots in the first nine months of this year as they rushed to speed up assembly lines and struggled to add human workers.

Factories and other industrial users ordered 29,000 robots, 37% more than during the same period last year, valued at $1.48 billion, according to data compiled by the industry group the Association for Advancing Automation. That surpassed the previous peak set in the same time period in 2017, before the global pandemic upended economies.
The rush to add robots is part of a larger upswing in investment as companies seek to keep up with strong demand, which in some cases has contributed to shortages of key goods. At the same time, many firms have struggled to lure back workers displaced by the pandemic and view robots as an alternative to adding human muscle on their assembly lines.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Companies in North America added a record number of robots in the first nine months of this year as they rushed to speed up assembly lines and struggled to add human workers.

Factories and other industrial users ordered 29,000 robots, 37% more than during the same period last year, valued at $1.48 billion, according to data compiled by the industry group the Association for Advancing Automation. That surpassed the previous peak set in the same time period in 2017, before the global pandemic upended economies.

The rush to add robots is part of a larger upswing in investment as companies seek to keep up with strong demand, which in some cases has contributed to shortages of key goods. At the same time, many firms have struggled to lure back workers displaced by the pandemic and view robots as an alternative to adding human muscle on their assembly lines.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Anyone who’s followed the job market in the wake of COVID re-openings knows that the restaurant industry is facing a severe labor shortage. The industry traditionally employs shifting, transitory workforces, but it’s never been like this. Staff turnover in restaurants, particularly fast-food spots, has skyrocketed, with a monthly turnover rate of 144 percent. U.S. Labor Department data confirms restaurant workers are quitting their jobs at the highest rate in two decades, with 70 percent more job openings now than there were in 2019.

To say the current staffing crisis has put fast-food restaurants — otherwise known in the industry as Quick Service Restaurants — behind the eight ball is an understatement. National fast-food chain Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers even took the amazing step of reassigning corporate employees to serve the front line as fry cooks and cashiers in over 500 of their locations nationwide.

Racked with labor shortages, restaurant owners and franchisees are looking for new options to keep doors open and stores profitable. And if you can’t get humans to staff your restaurants, how about robots instead?
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The labor crunch is helping to feed the rise of the robots
How ‘I quit' is leading to 'I, Robot'
Last week, two separate but related labor market themes caught my attention.

After Thursday’s news that employees walking off the job hit yet another record in September, a report from Reuters showed that North American companies added a record number of robots this year to bolster assembly lines, in a bid to alleviate the well-chronicled labor crunch (a hat tip on this article goes to economic commentator James Pethokoukis, who runs one of my favorite reads on the global economy).

Citing data from the Association for Advancing Automation, Reuters pointed out that industrial firms rang up nearly $1.5 billion worth of robots (29,000 to be exact) — a whopping 37% more than the comparable period in 2020. Separately, Google Cloud research in June showed that two-thirds of manufacturers using artificial intelligence (AI) are relying more heavily on it.

The Morning Brief has ruminated about the impact of the labor shortage and its close blood relative, the Great Resignation. Connecting the seemingly disparate threads, it poses a burning question: Are workers reluctant to fill open jobs — or stay put in them, for that matter — sowing the seeds of humanity’s eventual demise in the labor force?

However irrational, the theme that human workers should fear the dawn of our robot overlords is hardly a novel one. Yet like everything else in the pandemic-era, the fallout from COVID-19 has poured accelerant on an already raging fire. With conditions worsening, we cannot help but wonder if workers are hastening the rise of automation in a way that displaces human labor — but in a more permanent way?
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

These are the jobs at the highest risk from automation
Waiters, inspectors, receptionists, and groundskeepers beware. A new HSBC Global Research report found that these types of jobs each has a greater than 90% chance of being displaced due to automation within roughly the next 10 years.

Each of these types of work were given an Automation Risk Score of over 90% (out of 100) in the report and were listed among the jobs in today’s economy most likely to be lost to robots.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:14 am
Anyone who’s followed the job market in the wake of COVID re-openings knows that the restaurant industry is facing a severe labor shortage. The industry traditionally employs shifting, transitory workforces, but it’s never been like this. Staff turnover in restaurants, particularly fast-food spots, has skyrocketed, with a monthly turnover rate of 144 percent. U.S. Labor Department data confirms restaurant workers are quitting their jobs at the highest rate in two decades, with 70 percent more job openings now than there were in 2019.

To say the current staffing crisis has put fast-food restaurants — otherwise known in the industry as Quick Service Restaurants — behind the eight ball is an understatement. National fast-food chain Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers even took the amazing step of reassigning corporate employees to serve the front line as fry cooks and cashiers in over 500 of their locations nationwide.

Racked with labor shortages, restaurant owners and franchisees are looking for new options to keep doors open and stores profitable. And if you can’t get humans to staff your restaurants, how about robots instead?
I guess its not long until Flippy, some Boston Atlas robot types, and much more out there to be created make our food no? That UBI and I think its UBMOP is starting to seem real good right now with this affecting fast food workers quickly!